Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Ned Reeves. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned Reeves as a rookie!.... he is the reason we have rookies. I like that we have a player that we are developing from the start. Quality technical info and Ned is getting it from quality coaches.

Personally, I’d prefer he stays in the gym for the year, building up his leg strength, while doing ruck skill work with Monkey and body work with ... if possible: Dunstall.

The Western Bulldogs took ruckman Tim English at pick 19. In his first year, Tim struggled to compete at the VFL let alone the AFL. Meeson humbled him.
Tim English is still struggling, .... but he is improving.

Ned Reeves will struggle to compete in the VFL... especially on a cold and wet day.
I hope he spends the day in the gym building his leg strength but if he plays, I hope he hits a few tackles without giving a free kick. As a marking fwd: good luck!

Last edited:
Reeves had a good debut game against the Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL, as a 209cm ruck man he towered over his opponent and won many hit outs, he also won a few clearances which was good to see, if he can clunk a few contested marks around the ground and maybe add some more tackling efforts i think he could be a good ruck in a few years, he is obviously still slim and needs to bulk up a bit if he is to dominate VFL footy and get a chance at AFL, but he does look like a decent prospect from what i saw.

Reeves had a good debut game against the Footscray Bulldogs in the VFL, as a 209cm ruck man he towered over his opponent and won many hit outs, he also won a few clearances which was good to see, if he can clunk a few contested marks around the ground and maybe add some more tackling efforts i think he could be a good ruck in a few years, he is obviously still slim and needs to bulk up a bit if he is to dominate VFL footy and get a chance at AFL, but he does look like a decent prospect from what i saw.
Towering over an opponent is not necessarily a good indicator of football ability unfortunately.
What were his stats?

Towering over an opponent is not necessarily a good indicator of football ability unfortunately.
What were his stats?

i think he only played half the game, i believe he didnt come on until the 2nd or 3rd quarter(as well as being taken off the ground for long periods) so his stats are kinda low compared to if he played a full game i would think, but his effort was good in the ruck, he did stand and watch the contest a few times, but overall was decent for a debutant imo.

What were his stats?
12 hit outs, 3 kicks, 1 hand ball, 1 mark, 2 tackles and a rebound 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching him, there's definitely something to work with. His tapwork seemed quite good, and he almost always got first hand to it as well. He looked quite agile when the ball hit the ground - didn't touch it often, but just looking at how he moved he was far above both Ceglar and McEvoy.

Still very skinny and there's obviously plenty of work needed, but for a first hitout you can definitely see why we basically took a free punt on him. Plenty of scope. It'll be interesting to see if we play him much as a forward in games and have Pittonet rucking 75+%, especially with Lewis now seemingly locking his place in the seniors.

Holy f**k!! Surely he is standing on something?!

75e8d05142a607aed16a62c8eee7a8cf.jpg

Holy f**k!! Surely he is standing on something?!

75e8d05142a607aed16a62c8eee7a8cf.jpg
Don't believe what Ned is saying in this interview... he's telling tall stories.

But good ones. Apparently, one of the light towers at the MCG wasn't working for its last night game, so they got him to stand in place of the light tower holding a torch above his head.

Seems he's been relegated with Pittonet coming back this week to the VFL. Didn't have the best showing last week, but hopefully has learnt some lessons that he can begin building on. Would love to see him succeed - a very special project!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back