Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

HappyHawk_1

Senior List
Oct 2, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If Nick Watson had wheels, he'd be a bicycle.
Love You Kiss GIF by Stellify Media

IYKYK

Aug 16, 2009
Behind you
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think we will ever see another Cyril.

Has there ever been a player in our game that was simultaneously the best player with and without the ball like Cyril?

If the Wiz is even half as good we're laughing.
I would still have him and the first player picked if he said he wanted to play. No idea how fit he is but on one leg he would instil fear and kick a couple.

Hopefully Watson can live up to his own expectations of himself. I’m sure if he does that, we’ll have a player on our hands.

JZedd

Team Captain
Feb 24, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn't really click with me before but geez he moves like Wingard. Reckon Watson will benefit greatly having both Wingard and Breust as his game day coaches. Just feel it's important from day 1 he doesn't incorporate ducking into his game because he doesn't need to. As long as he doesn't (duck) then 99% of tacklers will almost always accidentally get him head high and this is where his lack of height can / will give him an advantage. If you cast your mind back to when Poppy started to let this creep into his game the umpires started letting some go that were actually head high so it will be something he'll need to make sure he doesn't let creep into his game.
I couldn't agree more Bugs. With the umps protecting the head 2 things will happen (I think)
1 The Wizzer will naturally draw high tackles and kick goals this way. But he needs to
2. Defenders will need to be ultra cautious when tackling him and this will give him that extra second he needs to scoot away.

I forgot what I was saying....
Anyways I'm rapt to see the Wizza in Brown and Gold

kazzooka

Club Legend
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Does anyone else see Watson as a billionaire's version of Hayden Ballantyne. Pest, evasive, can kick goals for fun.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How does any team win? = by kicking goals!

I do not see Nick Watson EVER playing a game at Box Hill.

His running ability is likely relatively poor. But if he can quell his defender and then run off him… awesome.

We all loved Cyril, and no-one could replace him But Watson has a new and similar sense of energy that will make defenders question their coachers method.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully Wiz gets a wing at an oval named after him based on merit and doesn’t need his Grandma to pay for the naming rights like Balla

View attachment 1866763
That is actually very sweet by Nanna Ballantyne. Love it.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

kazzooka

Club Legend
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That is actually very sweet by Nanna Ballantyne. Love it.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
Agree, also seems like she helped him when he was a struggling WAFL player and maybe that freedom of not having to worry about money allowed him to focus 100% on football and made a pretty good fist of it.

Not to discredit your claim, but what has the Carlton AFLW team had to do with Nick Watson at this point in his career? When have their paths crossed long enough for that to be a shared opinion?

Or did he run into them at the pub on a night out?
Female players recruited to Carlton from either Caulfield Grammar and/or Eastern Ranges would have trained often enough with him in joint sessions (and possibly gone to school with him) to have developed those views.

They may also know him socially.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
I've forever got a soft spot for Ballantyne for making Scarlett look an absolute tit.

I saw Scarlett absolutely crap his pants at skilled one afternoon vs. the Aints, when Barry Hall was losing his mind.

Probably scary if you were face to face with Barry, but Scarlett is retrospectively regarded as 'tough' somehow. He did everything but run away.

Jon Hay was about 2000 percent tougher lining up on Swans era Plugger at Waverly when the latter was trying to go the knuckle.

Never heard Jon Hay referred to as tough, but that was as good a performance from a young player in the face of danger as I've seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back