Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

I think my favourite Ollie moment was either the goal he kicked against Collingwood in his first or second game when the pressure was really on.

Or strangely enough the first half he dominated in the NAB series against the Dogs earlier this year.

Hope he gets a decent crack at it elsewhere. May just replace Lonie at St.Kilda.

Strange thing is I think he is more talented then Moore, but doesn't work anywhere near as hard.
One of them had a breakout season and now has a long career ahead of him.
I'd use this as motivation to some of the playing group.
"Why did we let Ollie go?"
"Was between Ollie and Moore. Dylan worked harder and got the biscuits."

Strange thing is I think he is more talented then Moore, but doesn't work anywhere near as hard.

Great analysis and spot on

I have two seperate personal connections on each player which varifies this 100% Re Ollie my source said that he could have been anything in multiple sports but just didn't have the want or desire. Also said that his younger brother was in the same boat only lazier!
Re Moore (I've banged on about this a bit but) but my other connection was extremely bullish that Moore would be a 200 game AFL player right after he was drafted. Couldn't speak highly enough about him and he really rated his character which I think is critical as this new generation comes through together. Moore will most likely become part of the leadership group in a few years and deservedly so if he keeps doing what he is doing

Re Ollie, it seems like the penny finally dropped for him this year but just ran out of time unfortunately

He was a victim of clarksons structures.
He was doing well in the vfl as a pure mid, but never got a chance at afl level to show what he could do

One sneaky suggestion for olli is take a year of AFL football and get on the anabolic. His just not big enough for AFL

Think he was just way too slight to have a huge impact at AFL level and didn't have enough other factors going for him to counter that fact. Shame for him as he's a nice kid.

Tbh, I don't think his delisting or failure at AFL level had much to do with his physical attributes.

He just didn't have the desire to be physical - there are plenty of examples of players who go when they need to. Ollie just wasn't; he didn't want the contest or contact to survive at AFL level.

Perhaps that and he didn't have any elite characteristics. For mine, he never looked like making it (I never saw anything that told me he would), and he was gifted enough opportunities.

Tbh, I don't think his delisting or failure at AFL level had much to do with his physical attributes.

He just didn't have the desire to be physical - there are plenty of examples of players who go when they need to. Ollie just wasn't; he didn't want the contest or contact to survive at AFL level.

Perhaps that and he didn't have any elite characteristics. For mine, he never looked like making it (I never saw anything that told me he would), and he was gifted enough opportunities.
Peter Crimmins was even lighter yet never stopped him from attacking the ball or opponent with great ferocity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back