Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Played for the East Brighton Vampires, interesting nickname.

Must be all the undead, never say die...

Vampiers-Logo-final-150x106.jpg

Got something this kid ....
I agree. And I like Morrison too. Both composed and creative (from the highlights). I've got good vibes about our recruits this year. The fact a rookie listed bloke from last year made the primary list this year and looked the goods in his AFL games bodes well for us too. Our recruiting eye and development team are top notch

That is a gross exaggeration.

He looked very impressive at the end of the game where he had a brief purple patch but he was very quiet up until that point.

See HH's account of the game n the BH sub forum for sober assessment of the player's performances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was he going before that ?
From memory he was doing limited training prior to the season, then started late with Box Hill (maybe round 4 or 5), played a couple of games as a small forward (10 disp per game). Then injured again, slight niggling ones

Good article on him from December last year...

New Hawk Ollie Hanrahan follows path less travelled
Ashley Browne December 8, 2016 7:00 AM

OLLIE Hanrahan was never supposed to end up on the rookie list at a powerhouse club like Hawthorn.

There is the AFL-approved system, or 'pathway' as it is more accurately known, and this total football immersion starts with talent identification as early as 14 years of age and ends with the TAC Cup or equivalent competition and the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-08/new-hawk-ollie-hanrahan-follows-path-less-travelled

Last edited by a moderator:
Collins-Langford-Ayres you need to add a link to the original article and cut the quoting down to around two paragraphs as per bigfooty copyright rules

My bad... hadn't read the copyright rules. Just trying to make it easier for our community than having to click on more links. I also also removed the photos to reduce the size...

After watching just 2 of Oli Hanrahan's games at Box Hill I think he has Hartung covered. Oli uses his speed to make space which is awesome to watch. When cornered he generally handballs well before the space is closed down (a good decision maker). Oli looks quality and a player we need: a fast outside player willing to hit in on his turn, a good decision maker in close, and a neat kick.

I hope Oli gets his aerobic capacity up. If he does then the wing is his.

From watching him for the first time yesterday I liked his game with the in close stuff.
Twists & turns with a quick mind to create opportunities, pace & desire for the contest.
This kid looks to be a sleeper for a 2019 breakout in a similar fashion to Breust getting & staying in the best 22.
Very keen on watching more of his work!
Keep it up Ollie

From watching him for the first time yesterday I liked his game with the in close stuff.
Twists & turns with a quick mind to create opportunities, pace & desire for the contest.
This kid looks to be a sleeper for a 2019 breakout in a similar fashion to Breust getting & staying in the best 22.
Very keen on watching more of his work!
Keep it up Ollie
So assume once he has been best 22 for a few years you will want to trade him ala Breust??

Yesterday's Essendon game was the first chance I got to see Ollie for the first time, and there's definitely signs to suggest he'll make an impression at AFL level; a good developed body, speed and can turn, pivot and dodge ala Sam Mitchell (a trait not many junior players seem to portray).

Still a lot of development ahead of him but I was impressed by his attributes.

After watching just 2 of Oli Hanrahan's games at Box Hill I think he has Hartung covered. Oli uses his speed to make space which is awesome to watch.

His quick step is promising. He and Stewart make for interesting comparison, 40 and 41. Should debut next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back