Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

jenniferHAWKinS

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's certainly got something this guy. Hope he has a red hot crack next year.
Totally agree, something special about this kid. Looks a class above VFL without ever dominating which probably goes with the territory being a small forward. I think he would be one of those players that seemlessly transitions up to AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's got some acceleration on him, that burst through congestion and delivery to someone on the opposite wing in the last quarter had elite written all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
For those who watch him regularly, and are comparing him to Bruest, how's his defensive work?

Bruest is all class with the ball, but tackles and pressure's better than he's given credit for. Hanrahan, from what I've seen and read, is great with the ball, but if he's no good without it then VFL is probably as far as he goes

MrPremiership

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those who watch him regularly, and are comparing him to Bruest, how's his defensive work?

Bruest is all class with the ball, but tackles and pressure's better than he's given credit for. Hanrahan, from what I've seen and read, is great with the ball, but if he's no good without it then VFL is probably as far as he goes
Defensively, he's no Breust, Cyril or Poppy.....yet. But he's no Menzel-like liability.

Needs to work on that aspect of his game and have a greater impact across all 4 quarters. Should debut next year

rogiebear93

Premiership Player
May 17, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn

I agree with the above poster, he's not a Puopolo, Cyril or Breust - but he's quick and runs hard in defense. With a bit more size and strength I think his tackling game will improve.

He's not a huge amount like Breust in all honesty. He's a bit slighter, he's a lot quicker particularly off the mark but won't be breaking through a huge amount of tackles. He does find space though, and has quick steps to get himself out of trouble. Good amount of talent and X Factor.

I think the comparisons are more that they seem like talented goal kickers coming off a rookie list.

Hawk_francais

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Knows exactly where the goals are, looks cool and composed when others fumble. He is now doing it in bigger games. Would expect he'll have a spot in the 22 by the end of 2019.

Roger Rogerson

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 9, 2006
Malvern East
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is he good in the air?
No he isn't. What we saw on the weekend is why he is a chance to make it. Really damaging at times. The rest of his game still needs quite a bit of development. Still physically weak not a great tackler and a question mark on his rank. I also reckon his touch isn't as good as others think it is. His highlights make him look like a one touch player but he does struggle to be clean at times regularly.

Collins-Langford-Ayres

Hall of Famer
Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
No he isn't. What we saw on the weekend is why he is a chance to make it. Really damaging at times. The rest of his game still needs quite a bit of development. Still physically weak not a great tackler and a question mark on his rank. I also reckon his touch isn't as good as others think it is. His highlights make him look like a one touch player but he does struggle to be clean at times regularly.
Thanks.

Top Bottom