Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver Hanrahan

Outside midfielder | St Kevin’s College
27/08/98 | 183cm | 74kg

Snapshot:

Little known Oliver Hanrahan has flown under the radar in 2016, playing in the same school team as Vic Metro stars Tim Taranto and Patrick Kerr. Hanrahan’s steller season at St Kevin’s College saw him then selected in the APS v AGSV game, before the AFL Victoria Young Guns game.

Hanrahan showed glimpses in both games and was one of the few names to take away from either occasions. However – it will be hard to analyse his season after only playing school football, before a late season Young Guns game coming off nearly a six week break without football.

Hanrahan wasn’t apart of a TAC Cup club set up with momentarily opting to following a promising junior cricket career. Anyone who did have a chance to see him for St Kevin’s College will understand why he has now come into AFL Draft calculations. He hit the scoreboard most weeks and feature in the best players in most games in a team that finished in third place in the APS school boy competiton – arguably the strongest in Australia.

Hanrahan played mostly across half forward and through the midfield at stages, certainly showing his ability for all to see in a midfield that included Taranto, Michael Romero, Lachlan Fogarty and Rhylee West.

The APS v AGSV game was one of his better for the season, booting four goals from half forward and always seeming dangerous no matter where he played, on half forward or in the midfield.

SCOUTING NOTES: APS v AGSV school boy game

The Young Guns game was again used by Hanrahan to showcase his potential and did his draft chances no harm. Despite not having played for over a month, he again was very creative and dangerous in the forward half of the ground, no doubt catching the eye of recruiters again.

Welcome Oliver Hanrahan!
Good luck at the best team in the AFL.

A teacher at the school I know said some good things as a student and heard that he chose to focus on footy as the year went on.
If Oli works hard he could well surprise, I'll wait and see how he goes at Box Hill...

I really like this pick. Oozes X Factor and is quite nippy and will end up a good size too. He reminds a little of Stevie J with some of his movements and he really attacks the contest. Really happy with this pick as he has quite a bit of development still in him and I haven't been this excited about a rookie selection in a very long time.

I really like this pick. Oozes X Factor and is quite nippy and will end up a good size too. He reminds a little of Stevie J with some of his movements and he really attacks the contest. Really happy with this pick as he has quite a bit of development still in him and I haven't been this excited about a rookie selection in a very long time.

Jed Lamb was deemed the next Stevie J.

Hopefully we have better.

;)

Jed Lamb was deemed the next Stevie J.

Hopefully we have better.

;)

I'm not deeming him to be the next Stevie J, but I can see some similar traits with his body movements. This guy attacks the contest hard and really backs himself in and he also attacks the ball in an unorthodox fashion at times which adds to the his X Factor appeal.

I really like the look of this kid. He's what the rookie list is all about, a speculative pick on a relatively unknown player who has a fair bit of upside and scope for improvement.

Good hands, coupled with quick decision making is a strong recipe for a decent career.

Our second player to join the list his year who had cricket in his sights before deciding football was his future. Interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like the look of this kid. He's what the rookie list is all about, a speculative pick on a relatively unknown player who has a fair bit of upside and scope for improvement.

Good hands, coupled with quick decision making is a strong recipe for a decent career.

Our second player to join the list his year who had cricket in his sights before deciding football was his future. Interesting.
Clearly they think this Flem/ Punter game is gonna be a big regular fixture

Last edited:
I'm not deeming him to be the next Stevie J, but I can see some similar traits with his body movements. This guy attacks the contest hard and really backs himself in and he also attacks the ball in an unorthodox fashion at times which adds to the his X Factor appeal.

This what Rookie picks are about which is why I cannot believe they are getting rid of them...

Aussie kids choosing footy over cricket. See current test team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back