Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

He's certainly got something this guy. Hope he has a red hot crack next year.
Totally agree, something special about this kid. Looks a class above VFL without ever dominating which probably goes with the territory being a small forward. I think he would be one of those players that seemlessly transitions up to AFL level.

He's put on some size from last year and I think if he hadn't got crunched in tackles a few times to the point of being hurt he'd have gotten a game this year. A big preseason could see him debuting next year

For those who watch him regularly, and are comparing him to Bruest, how's his defensive work?

Bruest is all class with the ball, but tackles and pressure's better than he's given credit for. Hanrahan, from what I've seen and read, is great with the ball, but if he's no good without it then VFL is probably as far as he goes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who watch him regularly, and are comparing him to Bruest, how's his defensive work?

Bruest is all class with the ball, but tackles and pressure's better than he's given credit for. Hanrahan, from what I've seen and read, is great with the ball, but if he's no good without it then VFL is probably as far as he goes
Defensively, he's no Breust, Cyril or Poppy.....yet. But he's no Menzel-like liability.

Needs to work on that aspect of his game and have a greater impact across all 4 quarters. Should debut next year

I agree with the above poster, he's not a Puopolo, Cyril or Breust - but he's quick and runs hard in defense. With a bit more size and strength I think his tackling game will improve.

He's not a huge amount like Breust in all honesty. He's a bit slighter, he's a lot quicker particularly off the mark but won't be breaking through a huge amount of tackles. He does find space though, and has quick steps to get himself out of trouble. Good amount of talent and X Factor.

I think the comparisons are more that they seem like talented goal kickers coming off a rookie list.

Knows exactly where the goals are, looks cool and composed when others fumble. He is now doing it in bigger games. Would expect he'll have a spot in the 22 by the end of 2019.

Is he good in the air?
No he isn't. What we saw on the weekend is why he is a chance to make it. Really damaging at times. The rest of his game still needs quite a bit of development. Still physically weak not a great tackler and a question mark on his rank. I also reckon his touch isn't as good as others think it is. His highlights make him look like a one touch player but he does struggle to be clean at times regularly.

No he isn't. What we saw on the weekend is why he is a chance to make it. Really damaging at times. The rest of his game still needs quite a bit of development. Still physically weak not a great tackler and a question mark on his rank. I also reckon his touch isn't as good as others think it is. His highlights make him look like a one touch player but he does struggle to be clean at times regularly.

Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back