Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

He has applied good pressure and looks like he belongs which is what you hope for.
I obviously hadn't seen him play before today but he's more than held his own, great short fast handball to Burgers for his long range goal then right place to kick his first. Hoping for more of the same.

I reckon young Ollie just won himself a new contract and pretty much stamped the papers of anyone else that thought they might be renewed like Miles. Really showed good effort and character today. Thoroughly impressed with him.
Most importantly he kept me in me in the goal kicking competition 💪🏻

Just watching the replay...some real skill and composure in close in one passage. Real top shelf stuff...

I hope he stays on. As already said, he might be one that is more valuable in AFL systems, rather than VFL.

Last edited:
Definitely showed some flashes of high football intelligence and good skills.

His debut reminded me slightly of a young lad named James Worpel, who's first game was quite a low-possession, yet effective, flashy and exciting first game for the club.

What is this blokes position? Forward, back, whats the go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely showed some flashes of high football intelligence and good skills.

His debut reminded me slightly of a young lad named James Worpel, who's first game was quite a low-possession, yet effective, flashy and exciting first game for the club.

What is this blokes position? Forward, back, whats the go.
Small forward most likely.

Not sure he'll ever get a midfield tank.

He's actual skills are ridiculously good. Whether the rest of his game comes with that who knows. But first option disposal was elite today. Whether goal, feed off for a goal or hitting a target... and I'll wear the couple of holding the ball decisions based on that creates a player who knows... but there was enough to like to give him another year.... at least.

Is he the second coming of Punky? Served his time on the rookie list and looks to feel immediately at home in the seniors.
The comparison is apt, he looks right at home, and we are so lucky that Punky is there to show him the ropes. He has the capability to nail the lightning snap and knows when to take his time and execute a kick to a teammate. Applied good pressure and also looked composed getting the ball up the ground. Very handy player.

The thing is, we've not yet seen the things that really made me sit up and take notice of him at box hill, and that's his evasiveness and sidestep in traffic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back