Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Some guys play well at AFL level because that’s what suits them and aren’t much chop at lower level, maybe a lack of motivation or trying to impress someone like clarko is a big incentive, Ollie gets busy and involved at contests and if he keeps it up then we have a little ripper in our hands!

Agree with a couple of others, his work in traffic is incredible. Really stands out to me.
Clean with the ball, can sniff a goal, cool under pressure.
Looks promising
Agree with both.

His side-step (even from TV) & pace are wicked - just gotta figure a way to get him the ball more often* so as to realise the benefits of those attributes.

1st game - 10 disposals, 1 goal, 0 tackles
2nd game - 16 disposals, 2 goals, 3 tackles

It's a bloody good improvement in 1 week. I've no idea if he was in trouble come season's end (contract etc.) but he's surely just bought himself a year if he was.

Game was close and in the balance. It was a huge Friday night and Hanrahan WANTED the ball when it was hot and the pressure was intense.

Both goals he kicked were goals I have not seen a Hawk kick in a while. A quick snap that he took upon himself to take without trying to pass it off like most players seem to try and do when its tight in close. The other was that lead into space...to take ownership of a big moment, of which he did.

A player like this must play the rest of the year. This kid has a bright future.

It's the little things you notice when a new player debuts that will lay the foundation for their entire career.
I didn't get to see last weeks game, so last night was the first time seeing Oli do his thing, and it was glaringly obvious that his quick, clean skills and decision making is what can potentially set him apart in the coming years.
You can learn how to be comfortable in traffic or improve your kicking etc, but straight out of the gate this bloke is just lightening with his reflexes and some of his field kicking looked elite.
I'm actually finding it difficult to think of a comparative player in the comp, but for position, size and speed he reminds me a little of Orazio Fantasia. A bit to be excited about with him and Dylan Moore in the coming years. Lewis, Hanrahan and Moore COULD be our new Roughy, Poppy and Punky in 5 years time. Thankfully Punky should be there for the majority of that (if we don't consider him trade potential) to help the new boys settle into it.

After a season of doom and gloom in regards to our future prospects it was so bloody wonderful to see big Mitch, Imps, Oli and Sicily amongst our best players last night.

Showed far more than I think he had - shows that some players (those with quick feet/hands and good decision makers) need to be seen st highest level as can stagnate at BH.

The thing I really liked was his desire to have ball in his hands when game was on the line - how many 2nd game players would call for the ball in that situation? He also made some great decisions (a rebound 50) with ball in hand. His hands were also clean (which has been a knock in the past). Didn’t really see his pace but didn’t look out of place out there.

Looking forward to him playing a few more games this season as brings a spark that we’ve lacked (and that others in the forward line eg Nash and Moore dont bring).

So stoked with what Ollie has shown in the firsts.

He keeps doing that, he gets elevated next year.

After his first year, at Box Hill, I was certain elevation was inevitable. Last year, he seemed to stall (motivation? disgruntled? who knows?)

What say you, TheFourPillars ?

After his first year, at Box Hill, I was certain elevation was inevitable. Last year, he seemed to stall (motivation? disgruntled? who knows?)

I just hope he's not another Kade Stewart who seemingly peaked and plateaued early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its always been about intensity and concentration mate as we spoke about. Its about him bringing it every week. He certainly has something and as u know i am one of his biggest supporters as he went to the same high school watched him closely. Pretty proud of him. Kicked a big goal in the last.

He needs to keep that intensity up follow poppy's example and everything else will take care of itself. His chases last week werent rewarded but its the first time i had seen him invested in the team things very important to the team and to the coaches.

I cant wait for next week

The big thing for Ollie so far seems to be he looks no different at AFL level to what he does at VFL level.
I beg to disagree mate i have seen him at both levels. Its about intensity and effort when he doesnt have the ball. He has brought that two weeks in a row at afl level. Lets see how he goes next week

Was genuinely worried about him and his long term prospects at VFL level this year. Has definitely made a believer of me now with what he's done at a higher level.

That being said, you've got to feel for forwards toiling away in the VFL as it's really hard to make an impact as a forward at a lower level. Worse delivery, worse grounds, worse conditions - just have a look at what Chol has been able to do with Richmond in the seniors after being a bloke who'd probably get the boot at the end of this year.

For some roles, the AFL level makes it easier to show their wares.

Last edited:
Some guys play well at AFL level because that’s what suits them and aren’t much chop at lower level, maybe a lack of motivation or trying to impress someone like clarko is a big incentive, Ollie gets busy and involved at contests and if he keeps it up then we have a little ripper in our hands!

Breust is the classic example. Was doing ok at Box Hill but his AFL form was a completely different level.

There was a handball he dished out to to give ??Gunston time to take a shot???
Cant remember but the point is Ollie had a no time and other players couldn't even take possession and he ran at the contest with speed x 2 then gathered and had the ability to give clean possession and time to a team mate to generate a shot on goal out of nowhere.

That got me sitting up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back