Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

One quality he has which is perhaps elite is the ability to get the ball to boot incredibly quickly and with limited steps after taking possession. He has kicked 2 incredibly opportunistic goals this season using this trait. It means the opposition will learn they can't give him an inch of space which as a forward group we will be able to use to our advantage.

Also noticed a few times when he went in for a contest and would get crunched, but he managed to give off lightning quick hands to keep the ball in play for us; sometimes by foot as well. You'd expect a young player to find the pace of the game the most challenging, but its been the opposite in that its been a skill of his to react before being dispossessed, while also making sure its given as an advantage to a teammate.

There is one play from Hanrahan that sticks in my mind from the Geelong game. It’s when he was running down the wing at the end of Q3 and he had the composure to just hold the ball for an extra second to draw a defender to him, which opened up space for Henderson who he neatly handballed to at the last moment. Hendo then had a clear run to deliver inside 50.

There is one play from Hanrahan that sticks in my mind from the Geelong game. It’s when he was running down the wing at the end of Q3 and he had the composure to just hold the ball for an extra second to draw a defender to him, which opened up space for Henderson who he neatly handballed to at the last moment. Hendo then had a clear run to deliver inside 50.
That kick on the HBF to Breust who hit somebody for a goal was great. Right in front of me in the Sun. Loved that play

Composure and awareness. I love watching players like him. The best comparison I have is Cyril - just that high speed, eyes shifting and head darting around while remaining completely aware of what is around them.

I don't know anything about his brother, what range is he expected to go in the draft?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Angus was eligible last year. A lot of pundits had him going from 3rd round to rookie.
He’s playing as a 19 year old for Sandy this season. Had a brilliant game on the weekend, racked up 35 possies and was dominant in the midfield.

He's really smart with his ball use, just needs to get it more. He's still playing pretty limited minutes compared to other players though.

Time on ground stats for his first four games:

• Round 15 (versus West Coast Eagles): 67% game-time
  • Round 16 (versus Collingwood): 69% game-time
  • Round 17 (versus Fremantle): 70% game-time
  • Round 18 (versus Geelong): 78% game-time
Certainly is a fair degree lower than Puopolo's game-time over the same four game stretch:

• Round 15: 79% game-time
  • Round 16: 86% game-time
  • Round 17: 79% game-time
  • Round 18: 85% game-time.
Fair to say that the club is easing Hanrahan into the fray, but it's encouraging to see that game-time percentage go up over the four game sample size (which is limited).

Angus was eligible last year. A lot of pundits had him going from 3rd round to rookie.
He’s playing as a 19 year old for Sandy this season. Had a brilliant game on the weekend, racked up 35 possies and was dominant in the midfield.
Angus has another massive game today. 30 odd and 3 goals. Love to unite the brothers!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Composure and awareness. I love watching players like him. The best comparison I have is Cyril - just that high speed, eyes shifting and head darting around while remaining completely aware of what is around them.

I don't think anyone will warp brains like Cyril did, but there have been moments where I agree, he seemed to be half a second quicker than anyone else around him and it did remind me a little bit of Junior.

I think in every game, he has had at least one passage of play where I have thought to myself.. alright that was SERIOUSLY good. I'm not talking about some of his opportunistic goals, and I cant think of anything specifically without digging through replays, but i'm talking a couple of bits and pieces here and there in which he has darted in and out of traffic and seems to react much quicker than anyone around him.

One of the biggest upsides and surprises for me. I wasn't painfully unexcited when he got the call up but the only Draftees in the last few seasons to show those sorts of glimpses after only a few games were probably Burton, Worpel and recently Lewis.

His decision making is elite!

Really? I have been very unimpressed with the games he has played. Done some nice things, but butchered the ball, not gone hard enough and not AFL body ready. I know his story about how he came into the system and not saying he wont make it, but in a top 8 team, he would not be getting games yet.

Really? I have been very unimpressed with the games he has played. Done some nice things, but butchered the ball, not gone hard enough and not AFL body ready. I know his story about how he came into the system and not saying he wont make it, but in a top 8 team, he would not be getting games yet.

We were a top 8 side earlier today.

He is extremely rapid and frantic, which actually helps him to win one-on-ones and dart through traffic so well.

Sometimes at the moment though, he continues to be rapid when using the ball where he just needs to slow down a bit. His actual skills are very nice, it’s just the ability to make the correct decisions that is holding him back. Once he tidy’s this part of his game up he will be very good.

There was a moment in the West Coast game where he is sitting under a high ball inside 50 with an opponent and he is out of position. Instead of trying th mark the ball he just punches it out into space for TOB to run on to and kick a goal, it was very smart.

Has the ability to make things happen which can be very valuable, especially when combined with his ability to win critical one-on-ones.

That was probably his best game, and yet his body is obviously not quite developed.
He does some really sharp and instinctive things one might expect of Wingard, and yet at other times can appear less assured and fumbles.
I expect further physical development and experience will turn him into a fine player.

He's got a lot of class and makes good things happen.

I've said it before but the frantic way he attacks the ball and the play really does remind me of Cyril. If he cleans it up and realises when to take time it's one of the best traits he could possibly have.

It's a trait pretty common in high level athletes, representative of quick decision making. Think Steve Smith batting, Rafael Nadal on the tennis court and so on.

I've said it before but the frantic way he attacks the ball and the play really does remind me of Cyril. If he cleans it up and realises when to take time it's one of the best traits he could possibly have.

It's a trait pretty common in high level athletes, representative of quick decision making. Think Steve Smith batting, Rafael Nadal on the tennis court and so on.
It’s likely exactly what Clarko wants to see. We know he loves forward 50 defensive pressure. Something we lost a lot of when Cyril left, and we’re starting to lose a bit more with the decline of Poppy (though he finished the year really strong).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back