Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Oliver Hanrahan

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? I have been very unimpressed with the games he has played. Done some nice things, but butchered the ball, not gone hard enough and not AFL body ready. I know his story about how he came into the system and not saying he wont make it, but in a top 8 team, he would not be getting games yet.
You've answered your own criticism right there

Really? I have been very unimpressed with the games he has played. Done some nice things, but butchered the ball, not gone hard enough and not AFL body ready. I know his story about how he came into the system and not saying he wont make it, but in a top 8 team, he would not be getting games yet.

You do know that Hanrahan has only played 9 games?

He’s still in nappies!

He's super clean, thats what I like the most.

The rest we can work on....but clean with the footy will be the skill trait that makes him succeed
Spot on!
He's quick and has had some incredible one touch groundball's pick ups that the average
player would of fumbled.
Yes, he's made a few decision and execution errors,but his future is bright(and why he's in front of Moore ATM).

Looks like a serious player in the making to my eyes.

He's not exactly playing in a position that's synonymous with standout performances from young players.

Very, very few make a big impact from a FWD flank or pocket early on.

Punky, who is one of the very best forward pockets, did pretty well when he broke into the side in his 2nd year.

The style of play from 2011 to 2019 though is markedly different with our focus on defence now, being a team still finding its feet in terms of mixing Attack and Defence. Our defence is rock solid and we've all seen how up and down our attack has been this year. This may make it harder for Ollie to seem like he's excelling but although he looked like he tired towards the end of the season, there is a lot for the coaches to work with.

For the stats guys out there, anytime he's had 12 or more disposals, we've won.

Ollie,
I love his speed and his hands. But he cannot mark. In fact he rarely chooses to try

I’d put him at Box Hill as a tagger.

Any one who has been a tagger would know, the game opens up, while you close it down.

Ollie’s speed in and out of games at Box hill could show his talent. Let him ask Cameron Ling how to be more effective than his opponent. Cameron Ling is very approachable. Just ask him.. Lingy is the best person I know in football.

Ollie, can get a lot better.

I’d like your broth at that Hawks as well

Last edited:
I've said it before but the frantic way he attacks the ball and the play really does remind me of Cyril. If he cleans it up and realises when to take time it's one of the best traits he could possibly have.

It's a trait pretty common in high level athletes, representative of quick decision making. Think Steve Smith batting, Rafael Nadal on the tennis court and so on.
A trait more common to Nadal and Smith btw is fidgeting with everything before entering the fray.

Ollie,
I love his speed and his hands. But he cannot mark. In fact he rarely chooses to try

I’d put him at Box Hill as a tagger.

Any one who has been a tagger would know, the game opens up, while you close it down.

Ollie’s speed in and out of games at Box hill could show his talent. Let him ask Cameron Ling how to be more effective than his opponent. Cameron Ling is very approachable. Just ask him.. Lingy is the best person I know in football.

Ollie, can get a lot better.

I’d like your broth at that Hawks as well

It's worth bearing in mind that Hanrahan didn't concentrate on footy as a potential career until quite late in the piece. He was more a standout junior cricketer and I believe he left the Sandringham Dragons due to his cricket commitments. He was playing school first XI cricket and playing for the Melbourne cricket club thirds as a junior.

Of course, marking a footy is a fundamental skill of the game, but given he bypassed most of the elite pathways into the AFL, he has plenty of scope to develop. I just hope he doesn't regress in 2020 like Morrison did this season.

You've answered your own criticism right there

Not really... You don't have to have an AFL body to go hard at the ball, you know that right? ... If you are relying on being a career AFL small forward, you need to tick some boxes irrespective of size... goal sense, short term speed, repeat efforts, a side step, hardness at a contest, ability to take a contested mark, etc... Hanrahan has few, but I do remember all you Beau Muston and Ben Kane lovers telling us they were going to be a superstars too... Caleb Daniel says hi as you wave to Kieran Lovell :thumbsu:

#time-for-a-reality-check

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really... You don't have to have an AFL body to go hard at the ball, you know that right? ... If you are relying on being a career AFL small forward, you need to tick some boxes irrespective of size... goal sense, short term speed, repeat efforts, a side step, hardness at a contest, ability to take a contested mark, etc... Hanrahan has few, but I do remember all you Beau Muston and Ben Kane lovers telling us they were going to be a superstars too... Caleb Daniel says hi as you wave to Kieran Lovell :thumbsu:

#time-for-a-reality-check
You're saying that you don't need to have an AFL ready body to play like you have an AFL ready body.

So you're saying he's not ready but that he should still be doing things that he's not ready for.

That's how you get injured.

I know we have this go when it's your turn idea but there are plenty of more senior AFL ready players on our list that get picked who don't always go hard at the contest.

It depends what he's been asked to do by the coaches, if he's getting picked he's either showing them enough or being given a long enough chance to show them so they can decide if he's coming back next year.

I've not said he's going to be a superstar just that you're complaining about a kid not doing something that maybe he shouldn't be doing right now.

I don't really want him doing an AC and being out for the year, let the bigger bodies take the hits

Hanrahan has shown plenty of what he will be required to do in any future hawthorn career.

Sharp and clever. He's not and never will be a contested beast. As long as "he goes when it's his turn", the other attributes are what he'll be marked on.

Hanrahan has shown plenty of what he will be required to do in any future hawthorn career.

Sharp and clever. He's not and never will be a contested beast. As long as "he goes when it's his turn", the other attributes are what he'll be marked on.
In that respect, it’s probs important to view him as a genuine small forward as opposed to a goal-kicking pressure forward (Popeye) or someone like Cyril.

I’m first to admit, his lack of defensive game annoys me, but it’s fair to say (with Popeye & Cyril) that I’ve been spoilt in recent years with what small/pressure forwards can achieve.

In saying that (IMO), he’s by no means safe if we could grab another Popeye type from a State League.

He did some nice things at AFL level, and showed glimpses of his pace and smarts.

One of the more encouraging things for mine was that he has quite clearly grown in confidence as he went back to Box Hill last week and looked like he had realized that he can play above that level and was really taking the game on.

Needs some more core strength, but overall his last half of the season was a positive to our year.

Enjoyed Ollie's work this season. Also loved how he looked a cut above the rest during the Box Hill elimination final.

If I was the Hawthorn brain trust, i'd be sending him to work with the Melbourne Storm boys over the pre season. Ollie has great pace, decent decision making, decent skills, good sense around goals. The one thing he could seriously improve on is utilising that speed and game sense in the defensive areas. He would be an absolute weapon if his tackling was a strength. Unfortunately at times this season he appeared to be flat footed off the pack and made it easy for opposition to rebound out of our forward end. With his pace he could add a seriously dangerous one-two combo with Poppy if he had the killer instinct to chase blokes down and make it stick.

I've been watching our late season games in the last few days and I have to say Ollie is really impressive. He weights his handballs really well to advantage and is very clean. If he can find some more endurance and the strength to stand up in tackles, he'll be a really solid player.

The handball to Wingard in the second quarter of the Suns match was really something.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It’s all work rate and desire with Ollie. He’s not fit enough and doesn’t put on enough defensive pressure and 2nd/3rd efforts. If he doesn’t improve his defensive side - and it’s a really high bar with Puopolo setting the standard - he won’t get games. His offensive side is pretty promising though.

Ollie did some really good things, he has shown he is smart, creative and sees the game well. If he can get fit enough to stay in the game more I reckon everything else will sort itself out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back