Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

bit of a reach but i loved how he played for SA this year in the champs, grandson of a Hawk premiership player too, might be skinny but is tough and skilful, get him on the protein and gym routine straight away.

189cm 76kg 82.7% efficiency as a defender which is elite, meaning he has good decision making and hits a team mate, not necessarily a laser kick like Sicily, his aerial ability is his biggest strength as an interceptor or spoiler, has good agility to get through packs and has clean hands when the ball hits the deck, smart player that needs to obviously get an AFL body, but once he fills out can then use the high quality talents he already possess.

Last edited:
bit of a reach but i loved how he played for SA this year in the champs, grandson of a Hawk premiership player too, might be skinny but is tough and skilful, get him on the protein and gym routine straight away.

187cm 70kg 82.7% efficiency as a defender which is elite, meaning he has good decision making and hits a team mate, not necessarily a laser kick like Sicily, his aerial ability is his biggest strength as an interceptor or spoiler, has good agility to get through packs and has clean hands when the ball hits the deck, smart player that needs to obviously get an AFL body, but once he fills out can then use the high quality talents he already possess.
Some chat that the Hawks see him developing into a midfielder once he fills out, they like his awareness in traffic and his athleticism and speed away from the contest. Tested well in the sprint and endurance events at the combine.

So, Will is a grandfather/son selection!

How time flies: I remember the 1971 Grand Final, when Robert Day disapeared after half time, we didn’t realise until the next day that he was off the ground.
The game was so exciting, we didn’t notice any of that.

And welcome, Will, I hope you do one better than your grandfather, and see out a Grand Final and get to be part of a premiership!

Some chat that the Hawks see him developing into a midfielder once he fills out, they like his awareness in traffic and his athleticism and speed away from the contest. Tested well in the sprint and endurance events at the combine.

yea could be, most hbf can turn into wingers, i wouldnt be surprised if we turned Impey and maybe one of Scrimshaw/Day into a winger as well, look at Henderson, he was a good hbf that turned into a high quality winger, so it can be done or at least experimented with.

Difficult to get excited for a number of reasons - he looks a long way off playing AFL, I can't find much vision of him, isn't a key defender... but is a defender.

So tonight is about trusting the club and we have no problem doing that.

I will say that we did get a bit screwed being pushed out to pick 13 in the end.

He is also related to Sam Day playing at the Gold Coast as well as Ian Day and Robert Day, 2 SANFL players back in the day as well as Robert Day playing for the Hawks for a few seasons including the 1971 premiership winning side, so good footy bloodlines

(Log in to remove this ad.)

U18 Carnival
GAMES
TEAM
South Australia
Disposals (average)
TOTAL
EFFICIENCY
82.7%
KICKS
EFFICIENCY
79.5%
HANDBALLS
EFFICIENCY
86.1%

Better kicking efficiency than Hayden Young who is the best kick in the draft. Promising.
That's pretty encouraging, mind you the last speedy youngster we drafted who I thought looked promising was Billy Hartung. So what do I know?!?!

So, Will is a grandfather/son selection!

How time flies: I remember the 1971 Grand Final, when Robert Day disapeared after half time, we didn’t realise until the next day that he was off the ground.
The game was so exciting, we didn’t notice any of that.

And welcome, Will, I hope you do one better than your grandfather, and see out a Grand Final and get to be part of a premiership!

Hey! Come on mate. He was probably BOG up to half time. Came to us with a big reputation and was to be the Hudson feeder with his precise kicking. Arrived with a lot of body wear and tear and never reached the hoped-for level until the grand final where he had a brilliant game until injured. Would not have been selected for the Granny only for the injury to Knights.

Played SANFL reserves and did ok apparently so might be stronger than he looks. Like most of these guys we wont know for a few years if we made the right call.

That's pretty encouraging, mind you the last speedy youngster we drafted who I thought looked promising was Billy Hartung. So what do I know?!?!

In the 1 minute you tube video I posted above, Will had more contested possesions then Billy had for his entire career with us.

Let's hope we've learnt our lesson and got a good one.

Looks like an Andrew Mackie type. We do love a smart, skilful half back flanker !! You’d think he will spend 2020 in the VFL given his size.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back