Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 976464

Great amount of distance covered for a first year player, only 300 meters less per game than Brad Hill.
Consider that Day spent most of his time off half back and not playing in the midfield full time like every other player above him. Given our troubles moving the ball forward for most of the year it's not like he got to go on a run frequently. Indicates that when we did get it forward he was aggressively pushing up the ground to help lock it in and when it was turned over he was working his ass off to get back. Amazing work ethic.

View attachment 976464

Great amount of distance covered for a first year player, only 300 meters less per game than Brad Hill.

First year player is easily the most promising part of this. Another off-season and some more body maturity and he'll be even better.

The other thing I note from this is why I hope we get back to longer games - Jaegs and Titch are fantastic endurance athletes for inside mids. Titch especially, more of his possessions than anyone else came from the final 5 minutes of quarters. Scully as well.

Shorter game times effectively negates that advantage for those guys, which sucks.

First year player is easily the most promising part of this. Another off-season and some more body maturity and he'll be even better.

The other thing I note from this is why I hope we get back to longer games - Jaegs and Titch are fantastic endurance athletes for inside mids. Titch especially, more of his possessions than anyone else came from the final 5 minutes of quarters. Scully as well.

Shorter game times effectively negates that advantage for those guys, which sucks.
and Smith too (if he stays) and BB

Rewatching this just put a smile on my face again... We got a good one with this kid!
They should have included the bit where he completely sold the fake handball and then strolled past the oncoming tackler...majestic!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great skills and massive football IQ more than compensated for the slim physique. He is a really smart footballer.
He is deceptively strong in the legs. He will fill out very nicely.

Agree. Will get more battle hardened. But I don't ever see him putting on much size. Doesn't seem to effect the way he plays.
I don’t see him noticeably putting on size either but I reckon he’ll end up filling out much like the way Dustin Fletcher did who was a beanpole at the same age. It’s important too remember that the game these days isn’t about being a big unit like Kyle Hartigan because 90% of the time that size will go against you anyways. The kid will be fine.

I don’t see him noticeably putting on size either but I reckon he’ll end up filling out much like the way Dustin Fletcher did who was a beanpole at the same age. It’s important too remember that the game these days isn’t about being a big unit like Kyle Hartigan because 90% of the time that size will go against you anyways. The kid will be fine.
Agree. Hird was similar. Tucky. Just became more battle hardened as they got older.

Size does not equal strength.

Core strength, strength through the hips, the ability to use your strength and power effectively is much more useful than some biceps when it comes to playing footy.

Enough weight to play your role effectively, he's much bigger than when we drafted him even if he's about the same size he finished last year at.

He was effective last year at that weight and he'll have another preseason under his belt.

Looking forward to seeing him live next year

Agree. Hird was similar. Tucky. Just became more battle hardened as they got older.
Yeah Hirdy is probably a better comparison but you never really want to compare young Will to that twat. Fletch on the other hand I have a lot of time for. Loved the way that guy went about it and he always seemed like a good dude. You have a working connection with him by memory right?

He will need to become bigger if he is to move into the midfield. Which in time, we need him to.

Day is a David Mundy clone, but I think he is better overhead and has more pace.

He will need size if he is to move into the midfield.
Midfield or not of course he will need size. I never actually said he wouldn’t add size but that what he does add wouldn’t be noticeable due to his buddy type. Guys that a long and lanky like him can actually add considerable weight that is evenly dispersed across his body but not have it be visually noticeable because they don’t have a thick chest or solid legs. What will be paramount for him though is his core strength which I’m sure has always been something the club has always focused on with our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back