Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

When was that first round game against Geelong where he got like four million possessions in the first quarter and then ran out of breath? Bloody hell it was funny. What a quarter
2013. Really announced that he had talent to burn, if not the stamina to back it up.

I'm not understanding the fascination with this kid's weight.
It's just the Veruca Salt crowd.

View attachment 788784

It's understandable. He could need 2 years at Box Hill to be fair.
Seems to be a fascination with blokes that look like they could be in the MCU.

Strongest bloke at my school, also one of the toughest looked like he was 12.

I hit 18 at 187 and 68kgs, grew a lot in the 16-18 range. Filled out pretty well once that growing stopped.

Be interesting to see where he's at come preseason games

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If you're spending a first rounder on a kid that won't make an AFL game for two years I reckon you've made a poor choice. If he's a good enough footballer he'll debut on quality alone, the club won't give a stuff about his lack of size.

This kid debuted in his first year:

View attachment 788796
McKenzie said we recruit with a 10-12 year view on a player. I personally can't see Will playing senior footy with that build at present. Guys like Dusty would rip him to shreds. We need to set him up for success. Plenty of hours in the gym, will be the early mandate.

McKenzie said we recruit with a 10-12 year view on a player. I personally can't see Will playing senior footy with that build at present. Guys like Dusty would rip him to shreds. We need to set him up for success. Plenty of hours in the gym, will be the early mandate.

If they're not good enough to play football without being physically mature, they're simply not going to be good footballers. Doesn't matter how long you give them.

We're in a position where we can ease the kid into senior football, but if he has enough footballing quality to go that early in the draft then he won't need the years of development we give some other players picked later on. It's not as though we're going to say 'Alright buddy, it's your first season - go in the middle and line up on Dustin Martin' or 'We've got you lined up on Jack Darling here mate, make sure he doesn't get near it'.

From his highlights he appears to be a smart footballer, very good athlete and doesn't take a backward step. Won't matter how much weight he's put on to the selection committee if he's killing it at VFL level.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I'm sorry but you don't hit the draft with a view to filling immediate needs. That's what trading and PSD is for. Kids all develop at different stages and this one has all the tools to succeed. Not liking the pick because he is skinny is just ridiculous.

Unfortunately some fans are like little children in a sense that they want to play with their new toy straight away. It's hard for some to take the longterm view because they want to see immediate results rather than wait. I'm guilty of it too but take Mitch Lewis for example. Most wanted to throw him into the fire well before he was ready but with our coaches and development staff it seems that the club unleashed him at the perfect time. Any other club like say Melbourne probably would've thrown him too the wolves where his confidence more than likely would've been stunted. I'm sure we all feel Maginness will be round 1 ready but if Clarko and Co don't think he is then I'm cool with and trust them wholeheartedly. Rioli and Worpel aside we've always seemed to do the long apprenticeship thing and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Unfortunately some fans are like little children in a sense that they want to play with their new toy straight away. It's hard for some to take the longterm view because they want to see immediate results rather than wait. I'm guilty of it too but take Mitch Lewis for example. Most wanted to throw him into the fire well before he was ready but with our coaches and development staff it seems that the club unleashed him at the perfect time. Any other club like say Melbourne probably would've thrown him too the wolves where his confidence more than likely would've been stunted. I'm sure we all feel Maginness will be round 1 ready but if Clarko and Co don't think he is then I'm cool with and trust them wholeheartedly. Rioli and Worpel aside we've always seemed to do the long apprenticeship thing and I have no problem with it whatsoever.

I'm sorry but you don't hit the draft with a view to filling immediate needs. That's what trading and PSD is for. Kids all develop at different stages and this one has all the tools to succeed. Not liking the pick because he is skinny is just ridiculous.

If this was in reply to me, that's not at all what I'm saying. I think he'll be a good player I'm just disagreeing with the idea that the club will let him languish at VFL level just because he's 'too skinny'. If he's good enough, he'll play - it won't matter how big he is.

If you're spending a first rounder on a kid that won't make an AFL game for two years I reckon you've made a poor choice. If he's a good enough footballer he'll debut on quality alone, the club won't give a stuff about his lack of size.

This kid debuted in his first year:

View attachment 788796
Disagree.

Plenty of reasons why good selections don't play. Can't imagine many of the Richmond draftees are going to see much game time. Not due to lack of ability, but competition for spots. You get the occasional freak like Stack or Worpel, but they're exceptions rather than rules.

Then you've got dud kids getting plenty of games at Gold Coast.

P.S. always a chance Day debuts in first 2 years

Disagree.

Plenty of reasons why good selections don't play. Can't imagine many of the Richmond draftees are going to see much game time. Not due to lack of ability, but competition for spots. You get the occasional freak like Stack or Worpel, but they're exceptions rather than rules.

Then you've got dud kids getting plenty of games at Gold Coast.

P.S. always a chance Day debuts in first 2 years

You missed the point. The idea is that if he's good enough, there shouldn't be an arbitrary '2 years development' thrown on him - he should be good enough to break into a spot and I expect him to be good enough. Time to develop is fine, but if someone hasn't proven the qualities they have that saw them drafted in 2 years on the list, at pick 13 it'd be a bit of an issue.

Barring injury, all of the top 13 from 2018 have played AFL footy. All of the top 13 from 2017 have played AFL footy. Richmond's first rounder from 2017 in Higgins played regular season footy.

You missed the point. The idea is that if he's good enough, there shouldn't be an arbitrary '2 years development' thrown on him - he should be good enough to break into a spot and I expect him to be good enough. Time to develop is fine, but if someone hasn't proven the qualities they have that saw them drafted in 2 years on the list, at pick 13 it'd be a bit of an issue.

Barring injury, all of the top 13 from 2018 have played AFL footy. All of the top 13 from 2017 have played AFL footy. Richmond's first rounder from 2017 in Higgins played regular season footy.
Can't see it as a measure of a pick being wrong or right though, as you've suggested. 12 year investment, not 2.

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The 'Veruca Salt' crowd are being a bit disingenuous as usual. He may fill out or he may not. X never did and it cost him games and the club heaps of coin on ice and bandages. (..............but he is a premiership player blah blah)

Whats muddying the waters is that the club is showing all the sings of believing it may be a challenger. Hence a skinny kid who may not play poses a risk to that. I dont think anyone by saying that does not accept he may be a selection with a long term view to club success, so why be smartarse about it.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He is an 18 year old in a 13 year old marathon runners body, he ain’t playing senior footy in 2020 unless he puts on some weight. This is not to say he isn’t going to be a very good footballer, he is skilful, quick and has a good tank, a year or 2 in the gym will do wonders for him.

He is an 18 year old in a 13 year old marathon runners body, he ain’t playing senior footy in 2020 unless he puts on some weight. This is not to say he isn’t going to be a very good footballer, he is skilful, quick and has a good tank, a year or 2 in the gym will do wonders for him.
He'll play next year if he's good enough

Back