Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting little trove of draft information from 2008-2010. Nat Fyfe profile eerily similar to Days if you replace forward with defense. Almost identical height and build when drafted. Queries on ability to bulk up and strength 1v1.

Interesting little trove of draft information from 2008-2010. Nat Fyfe profile eerily similar to Days if you replace forward with defense. Almost identical height and build when drafted. Queries on ability to bulk up and strength 1v1.
Fyfe's development is an exception though, so you can't bank it.
For every Fyfe, there are many Ellis' and Thurgoods.

Very few go from such a slight frame to one of the competition's powerhouse players.
I'd almost call it suspicious bc he did it in 3 seasons.

Very few go from such a slight frame to one of the competition's powerhouse players.
Really? Do you have anything at all to back up that most skinny kids are unable to put on muscle mass as they age?

Disagree it took Fyfe years to get to the size he is, wasn't until around 2015 that he really became a monster. I don't think anything prevents these skinny young players from putting on size other than effort and commitment. Day has all the skill to make it so as long as he puts in the hours in the gym and the kitchen no reason he can't be a ripper player for us.

Disagree it took Fyfe years to get to the size he is, wasn't until around 2015 that he really became a monster. I don't think anything prevents these skinny young players from putting on size other than effort and commitment. Day has all the skill to make it so as long as he puts in the hours in the gym and the kitchen no reason he can't be a ripper player for us.

Plus Fyfe played good footy before he got up to size. That was the point I was making.

He played 18 games in his debut season and acquitted himself really well.

"The Giants' need for a gun ruck made Jackson a priority, but with him gone, the club focused on speed. It's what led them to pick the dashing half-back Lachie Ash at No.4. Young was a consideration, but he didn't have the dazzle they were searching for.

They visited Gippsland pair Caleb Serong and Flanders three days before the draft but neither was really in their plans at No.4 given Jackson or Ash was set to be available. Half-back Will Day was also high on their thoughts near this range."

So does this mean Day was as high as Pick 4 in the Giant’s rankings?

I'm sorry but you don't hit the draft with a view to filling immediate needs. That's what trading and PSD is for. Kids all develop at different stages and this one has all the tools to succeed. Not liking the pick because he is skinny is just ridiculous.
Can I also add. This is what strategy is all about. Generalising.....skinny talented kids against known mature talent. The balance of List Management !!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played the 2013 Grand Final looking jacked - his fourth season.

He played the 2013 Grand Final looking jacked - his fourth season.
I mean correct me if I'm wrong but four seasons would be four years which would count as it took him years.

Guys around 16-22 can put on a fair bit of muscle quickly if they've stopped growing.

The requirements of playinf footy do limit that a bit though.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but four seasons would be four years which would count as it took him years.

Guys around 16-22 can put on a fair bit of muscle quickly if they've stopped growing.

The requirements of playinf footy do limit that a bit though.
Something that not many people have pointed out is that you don’t really have to be a man mountain to play AFL anymore. Yes Day will have to add some size but depending on what position he plays early on it’s not essential for him to be 85-90kgs to get a go. His goal for this time next year should be to get into or close to 80kgs and then all this size issue will be an afterthought.

With the added benefit of now being in a professional environment (nutritionists etc) I say let’s revisit this conversation in 12 months time. The unbelievable footy skills that he already has would be so much harder / near impossible to teach to a player in 12 months so let’s just let the kid develop physically before we judge him.

The thing that impressed me and has given the most confidence in watching his highlights is that even though he is so lightly build he will put his body on the line, goes for his marks, takes the game on with skill and flare and has courage in a few contests in the vision. That tells me he has all the attributes to make it we just need to be patient and let his body mature.
I must admit I wasn’t sure when name first read out but the more I see of his tapes and hear him speak I am very happy with selecting him!

Something that not many people have pointed out is that you don’t really have to be a man mountain to play AFL anymore. Yes Day will have to add some size but depending on what position he plays early on it’s not essential for him to be 85-90kgs to get a go. His goal for this time next year should be to get into or close to 80kgs and then all this size issue will be an afterthought.

With the added benefit of now being in a professional environment (nutritionists etc) I say let’s revisit this conversation in 12 months time. The unbelievable footy skills that he already has would be so much harder / near impossible to teach to a player in 12 months so let’s just let the kid develop physically before we judge him.
Yeh, I'm more about him growing so as to protect himself more: be more resilient, week in & out; &, not be beaten up or thrown around during games etc.

From a strength perspective, I'm sure he'd make it work & he'd off-set the lack of with other, positive attributes. Sure, he wouldn't be a knuckle man, but he'd have a go & that's a great start. But without some padding etc. afforded by a bit of muscle, he'd miss every 2nd or 3rd week with General Soreness, which would also affect his capacity to train & to rehab etc.

Right now he will get broken. He needs to be a similar weight as Smith to survive minimum. Weight also makes you harder to move off the ball right now he is too light. He will fill out he is still quite young. He has plenty of time to do his apprentiship and thicken up

I really don't understand this mentality. Players don't get broken playing AFL football simply by being a bit slight. They might get bodied off the ball a bit easier, but it's not like they've got brittle bones and tendons if they don't put 10kg on.

The 'Hawthorn Apprenticeship' doesn't exist, despite how much its talked about. Every club has players that sit in their seconds, we just develop them better so they eventually become good AFL footballers at a higher percentage than other clubs.

Every first rounder we've picked since 2004 has played senior football in their first year on the list, save for Ellis who was completing Year 12 at the time. Even Max Bailey played some senior football in his debut year and he was a baby giraffe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back