Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched walk & talk with Will. Impressive young man and sense that he has the right character as a person .... no ego, humble but confident and determined. Once he fills out wants to move into the middle of the ground.

Hope the Hawks are pumping plenty of protein shakes into him each day to quicken up the process. With Mitchell, JOM and Worps we really need a play maker in that mix and Mitchell/JOM/Worps need to work on some versatility in their games to benefit from the value of rotations.

I think the issues in the middle go beyond size.

Day and Finn if they became successful mids could certainly change the dynamic, Day would bring some much needed foot skills into the mix.

Lachie Neal at Brisbane is proof you don't have to be big to be effective in the middle. McLuggage is probably Brisbane biggest mid at 187 yeah?

I think our issues are we have two many similar style mids and our setup is really stagnant
We need guys that cut the play open by foot insert <broken record.gif>

Birchall was one of the best kicks in the league, and was brilliant at setting up play and moving it forward - which are skills that Day shares with him.

But Birchall was never strong in the air, which is something that Day seems to be.
Scrimshaw is a potential Birch clone too

Probably the best comparison I can think of in the current AFL based on frame, bravery and the way that they play.

A positive is that he has a bigger frame to fill out than Simmo, and has easily had a better first few games :p

Can't stand Carlton and sincerely hope they lose every game they play, however.

Kade Simpson's an exception to the rule.

Skinny little bloke but hard as a cats head, great skills and superb leadership and they were out of their mind to have never made him captain. Fantastic footballer and one to admire.

If Day comes out like Simpson that is a beyond brilliant result.

Keep it up Will, would be ******* stoked if you turn out to be our version of Simpson.

Just watched walk & talk with Will. Impressive young man and sense that he has the right character as a person .... no ego, humble but confident and determined. Once he fills out wants to move into the middle of the ground.

Hope the Hawks are pumping plenty of protein shakes into him each day to quicken up the process. With Mitchell, JOM and Worps we really need a play maker in that mix and Mitchell/JOM/Worps need to work on some versatility in their games to benefit from the value of rotations.

Agree, was equally impressed. Seems like a great kid with good strong values.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about this a bit more I think he plays a lot like a young Robbie Flower. Flower was a star. If Will can be anything like him we would have done well. Flower was quicker but Will is much better in the air.

With Impey, Frost and Scrim off of the half back line. Those 3 guys linking up with Day and Downie on the wings could very well be how we line up sooner rather than later.

With Impey, Frost and Scrim off of the half back line. Those 3 guys linking up with Day and Downie on the wings could very well be how we line up sooner rather than later.

I see Pendlebury in the way he plays and moves hopefully he plays midfield more then wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back