Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

For me he is just as exciting a recruit as Buddy and Cyril were.
Absolutely agree. Burton showed early talent but not since Cyril have we seen this skill in a first year player after only a few games. After only a handful of games he has demonstrated that he can do everything.

Disposal (both sides) hardness, aerial skills, intercepting/reading the flight, now today a bit of X factor and finishing ability. What I like the most is the vision/smarts. You already feel safe when hes got the ball. He has barely even made an error. Got toe. Where is he lacking in anything bar muscle?

He'll drift in an out of games, but If he can fill out on that 190cm frame and build his fitness, his ceiling is enormous.

Absolutely agree. Burton showed early talent but not since Cyril have we seen this skill in a first year player after only a few games. After only a handful of games he has demonstrated that he can do everything.

Disposal (both sides) hardness, aerial skills, intercepting/reading the flight, now today a bit of X factor and finishing ability. What I like the most is the vision/smarts. You already feel safe when hes got the ball. He has barely even made an error. Got toe. Where is he lacking in anything bar muscle?

He'll drift in an out of games, but If he can fill out on that 190cm frame and build his fitness, his ceiling is enormous.
his willingness to take the game is seriously impressive as well, not just the ability to do it but the confidence. Everyone talks about his goal turning the game (it did) but not long after he gets it off half back from a turnover and looks straight in to the corridor and takes it on again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds of me Whitfield a lot, both skinny as they come but very smart skilled football players.
Not sure if he has the same accumulation skills as Whitfield but his class, courage and composure is as good as it gets. He’s an immature 18 year old physically so there is so much physical development (unless he’s one of those guys who can’t fill out).

For those who watched his junior footy, did he ever play much midfield and show that ball winning craft? In any event a half back line of Day Sicily and Scrimshaw with Impey running the lines is something we can really build off. It’s the one area we are well stocked for many years

That goal he kicked went through post high. A bit more confidence in his set shot kicking and he doesn’t need to run around anyone on the 50m line. He probably doesn’t quite grasp his potential himself just yet. Absolute gem of a pick up.

That goal he kicked went through post high. A bit more confidence in his set shot kicking and he doesn’t need to run around anyone on the 50m line. He probably doesn’t quite grasp his potential himself just yet. Absolute gem of a pick up.

Landed ten rows back..

Over the next couple of years the club needs to do everything in it's power to get the ball in this kids hands as often as possible, whether that's stacking weight on him and playing him inside or developing him into a winger, he just has a great instinctive feel for the game

I remember reading up on the draft picks last year and a few of Will's comments mentioned he prob had the most upside in the draft. Can see why. Swing again this year with our first rounder please. Its difference between getting a Bont/Fyfe or a Darcy Parish/ James Aish for example. Worth the risk in my book. Will is a star.

I know we don't like Essendon, but Darcy is actually better than opposition supporters give him credit for. He is a genuine midfielder who has the ability to push forward and kick goals but Woosha refuses to let him play as a pure mid. As soon as Heppell and Shiel have been missing for them recently he has been one of Essendonds better players. He is actually incredibly similar to Worpel.

But anyway, I stood up out of my chair at the pub when Day kicked that goal yesterday. How bloody exciting!

In Clarko’s presser who talked about how Day in the side allows moving others about ie Impey forward. Pretty impressive that a debut player is getting Clarko’s trust so early on
Especially when he is normally very hesitant to offer praise to individuals and young players in the media. Likes to always bring it back to the group effort.

I remember Burton getting a lot of praise in a post game presser and 3 straight questions to Clarko about Burto and each time he just played a straight bat and talked about how we had 4 or 5 young guys all playing a role.

I know we don't like Essendon, but Darcy is actually better than opposition supporters give him credit for. He is a genuine midfielder who has the ability to push forward and kick goals but Woosha refuses to let him play as a pure mid. As soon as Heppell and Shiel have been missing for them recently he has been one of Essendonds better players. He is actually incredibly similar to Worpel.

But anyway, I stood up out of my chair at the pub when Day kicked that goal yesterday. How bloody exciting!
I’m so jealous you’re at a pub

Remove this Banner Ad

Back