Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people not watch the injury updates?

Day was back training in late July, they just pulled the plug on him working back into the 22.

from July.

There’s more money to be made in being conspiratorial these days, why not conure up something out of nothing.

It is clear in that package that compared to other players Will more often kicked the ball on his non-preferred left.

Will Day is improving his skills and confident enough to do it in a game.

Reminiscence: Sam Mitchell was told by a coach in his junior years to choose to kick the ball on his best foot (the right). Sam chose to continue to improve his lesser skilled foot… the left

It seems certain that Will Day will become near as proficient as Sam Mitchell on either foot, of this I have no doubt.

As much as I want the Hawks to win games next year, I hope we find a position for Day that does not bash him up too much.
I fear Will Day is rolled gold.

And I hope Will puts on some core muscle weight = work with Harvey (the king of the hip-shake... he was near impossible to tackle).
Nah Sams story is a little more interesting.. As a kid he was told to "not show off" as he was kicking on his left (his preferred foot). Had to learn to kick on his right.

Cornes mentioned Will Day as one who is ready to explode in 2022.

3. Will Day
Hawthorn

He has only played 16 games, would you believe. Had a severe ankle injury this year.

For a skinny guy he is tough. He's got speed, he's a high metres-gained player off half-back. He uses the ball extremely well and he defends. He can play small but he can also play tall.

Next year we are going to get significant improvement, but when he is 22-23, I think he is going to be maybe the best half-back in the game.

All class, all day.

That kid will remember that for the rest of his life. Especially if Will becomes the star we all know he can be.

In my junior days, I copped horrendous injuries on the field, the last of which was a ruptured spleen that almost killed me. I was lying there in hospital recovering, reading a book, when in walks Ken Judge for a chat (it was down in Gippsland, Hawthorn's zone at the time). It made my day, my recovery, and yep, I have never forgotten it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get him straight in if he’s fit enough to play 70%+ game time. Our ball use was pretty scrappy today. He’s one of the very few class ball users we have.
His clean hands and composure could very well be the one thing that saves my fingernails from being chewed to death 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back