Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if he could transision into a full time centre bounce mid.

He plays tall and his strenghts lend themselves to open play. Half back, Wing, drift into forward 50 for the odd mark and goal. His ceiling looks high, possibly elite, but bash and crash ball hunter might be beyond him. We'll see.

Not sure if he could transision into a full time centre bounce mid.

He plays tall and his strenghts lend themselves to open play. Half back, Wing, drift into forward 50 for the odd mark and goal. His ceiling looks high, possibly elite, but bash and crash ball hunter might be beyond him. We'll see.
I wouldn't say someone like Pendles is that bash and crash type player, he can do it at times like Day even now as a HBF, but that's the player i'd want him to become in there.

Class, time and space no one else has, ability to go forward and float around taking marks (Pendles doesn't really do this tho), he kicks both feet too and he has the Cyril type 1% with the smart taps and smart plays. For example the one posted above.

He could be one of the best in the game and has the ceiling to be the best, up to how his body can develop aswell.

He was too busy trying to be clever with his "put Day into tomorrow" gag.
Was pathetic . Totally ignored the player who won two contests on his own beating about 6 opponants on the way.

But hey lets get the cheesy line in as priority

Due for a big game , looks to have been building nicely the last few weeks .

Cant wait for him to string together a long stretch of games.
We have something pretty special here
I'm not expecting him to star until he has more games under his belt this season. Missed a lot of preseason and looked like he was feeling it fitness wise last weekend. Small steps for him are fine the next few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny the Bombers game is the first time I have thought Will is a mere mortal and isn't one of those players that is an automatic at the level. Looked to have some gaps in his confidence and assurance which is the first time I have ever seen it.

It's funny the Bombers game is the first time I have thought Will is a mere mortal and isn't one of those players that is an automatic at the level. Looked to have some gaps in his confidence and assurance which is the first time I have ever seen it.
The same thing crossed my mind but the thing is Day is exceptional but he's not superman. He's had two ankle surgeries, played 11 games in 2020, 5 last year, even the 5 this year were interrupted. That's a really small, scattered number of AFL games. I'm not sure anyone is automatic at the level if they've had no game time and their body isn't quite right. Just look at the difference between Patrick Cripps last year and this year.

"I think at the moment on the half-back is the right option, but definitely going forward, I want to get back into the midfield. I played all my juniors there until the boys got a bit bigger and pushed me out. It's definitely something I'd be keen to do in the future.

"I did initially start training as a midfielder (during the pre-season), but having chats with Mitch, and with the ankle going on a little bit longer than we'd hoped for, I think we both agreed that going back to the half-back and just getting comfortable again was the right option. Definitely next pre-season I'll look to go up and train with them a bit more."

The Simpsons Beer GIF

2023 Pre-season

Because he could then potentially become a full-time midfielder and absolutely maximize his potential.

There isn't a single midfielder in the league currently that is as slight as he is.

Will doesn't look a mid to me.
He's a smooooth mover with nice acceleration and evasion skills much better in a bit of space with lower numbers around the ball, he doesn't always see what's left and right in close thus sometimes surprised getting wrapped up by the oppo.

For me a mid needs to have violent movement and burst, an innate image of what was around him BEFORE heading in to take the ball so knows which way to pitch to find space and where an offload under pressure might find an advantage.

Day is a perfect high back flanker or wing candidate who might also have some forward capabilities if trialed there.
Doubt being in the center square or following around the ground is his future.

Jeez I love hearing about this dude, but god I cringe unbelievably hard whenever I hear any of our players talk about NFT's.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what people investing in NFTs are really seeing. It looks like such a scam in concept.

Day going into the midfield is very interesting in regards to our recruiting and list management. If they see Day as an elite talent capable of being a full time mid, suddenly the need for elite mid talent through the draft or trading isn't as urgent. It may mean we can draft the best available tall with our first selection in November.

Newcombe
Day
Ward
Macdonald
Worpel
Nash
Maginness

That is a dynamic mix of under 24's in the midfield to work with over the next decade. A few have 'sky is the limit' potential in there too.

Jeez I love hearing about this dude, but god I cringe unbelievably hard whenever I hear any of our players talk about NFT's.
This is the 3rd article on the AFL website about a Hawthorn player and dedicating a couple paragraphs to legitimising NFTs. Probably more from other clubs too.

Stealth advertising for the AFL's own recent interests in NFTs.

Feels very predatory. Just swap out NFTs with sports gambling or pokies.

"Since then, moving forward we've been in a few hotels, done a bit of gambling here and there. It's been a bit of fun. It could have been more successful if we got out at the right times. But overall, we haven’t lost anything, we're just having a bit of fun with it."

This is the 3rd article on the AFL website about a Hawthorn player and dedicating a couple paragraphs to legitimising NFTs. Probably more from other clubs too.

Stealth advertising for the AFL's own recent interests in NFTs.

Feels very predatory. Just swap out NFTs with sports gambling or pokies.

"Since then, moving forward we've been in a few hotels, done a bit of gambling here and there. It's been a bit of fun. It could have been more successful if we got out at the right times. But overall, we haven’t lost anything, we're just having a bit of fun with it."

Wait what?! They arent seriously throwing money at this scam are they?

Wait what?! They arent seriously throwing money at this scam are they?
I haven't looked into the AFL's version too much just yet but from what I understand they'll be selling AFL "moments" in the form of highlight videos. So in theory someone will be able to own Buddy's 1000th goal moment. They'll then be able to sell the "ownership" of that moment to other people for a price and no doubt the AFL will get a cut every time one of these things changes hands.

And here's the kicker, I'm sure "owning" these moments doesn't actually afford you any meaningful rights to the underlying content. You couldn't prevent it from being shown anywhere by issuing copyright infringement claims and then charge people to view it on your own media platform or anything like that. It'd be more like having a footy trading card that only existed digitally and absolutely anyone and everyone could come view and enjoy it the same as you at zero cost, and while you could sell the card, you couldn't sell or utilise the rights to the image and name on that card.

A pretty enticing business model for the AFL (or anyone who runs a NFT project) to essentially give away or sell something with no intrinsic value to people who will get excited and hype it up for you (because it's now in their interests to do so) and then turn a profit on the trading and subsequent sale of future "moments" that are generated every week already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back