Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Kid just needs a block of games. He's been a bit off by foot, a bit rusty. But he wanted it more than any other Hawks player in the last quarter against the Tigers...

Like others have mentioned, he is seriously close to absolutely tearing a game apart. I feel pretty confident he is going to have a statement game this year when he's no longer looked at as a classy half-back only. Fyfe was a skinny kid like Will when he was drafted.

Given his ability overhead, if he can put on size he has the chance to be one of the very few elite mids that can do damage drifting forward. Not many mids will be able to fly with him in the air.

He has the highest ceiling of any player currently on our list, Will.

Kid just needs a block of games. He's been a bit off by foot, a bit rusty. But he wanted it more than any other Hawks player in the last quarter against the Tigers...

Like others have mentioned, he is seriously close to absolutely tearing a game apart. I feel pretty confident he is going to have a statement game this year when he's no longer looked at as a classy half-back only. Fyfe was a skinny kid like Will when he was drafted.

Given his ability overhead, if he can put on size he has the chance to be one of the very few elite mids that can do damage drifting forward. Not many mids will be able to fly with him in the air.

He has the highest ceiling of any player currently on our list, Will.
I agree re ceiling but I am also really liking what MacDonald has shown thus far. Smooth mover clean hands and feet good awareness and vision. There is a lot to like about Connor

I agree re ceiling but I am also really liking what MacDonald has shown thus far. Smooth mover clean hands and feet good awareness and vision. There is a lot to like about Connor

I agree. I see a lot of Zac Bailey about MacDonald.

Fingers crossed as Bailey is an absolute gun!

Love this pic what a beautiful perfect kicking action …….. especially the quirky hands. Noticed that skilled players often do this. So balanced! Also love Newk looking a step ahead of play while the other two are ball watching 😄

Attachments

• ED6786C3-A535-4D6A-87C9-5E07B1BF30CA.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 156
He was cramping due to lack of a preseason there's nothing wrong with his tank.

I just pointed out his tank was a concern, I should have been clearer that I was referring to this season, I guess thats why I got the red thumb

I'm glad its down to preseason but my point stands, he is probably not up it this year

I agree

Day is my favourite, but McDonald to me looks the most likely to be a top 5 player in the comp, he's so silky
My big query on CMac is whether or not the games trend towards tall mids will reduce his effectiveness.

I think Day will go on to be a top 5 due to his size and his ability- compared to others who are his size he's more of an outside player which m I would say he is a rarity in terms of ability.

My big query on CMac is whether or not the games trend towards tall mids will reduce his effectiveness.

I think Day will go on to be a top 5 due to his size and his ability- compared to others who are his size he's more of an outside player which m I would say he is a rarity in terms of ability.
185 isn't exactly small for a midfielder, its only 2cm shorter than Dusty, Petracca & you're not going to have a midfield with everyone the height of Cripps/Bont

185 isn't exactly small for a midfielder, its only 2cm shorter than Dusty, Petracca & you're not going to have a midfield with everyone the height of Cripps/Bont
You're not wrong, I'm just very curious to see how the average size increasing will impact others

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the advantage of being tall, per se... fruit from the high branches?

That's it, really ... you need to be able to mark (well). Otherwise, apart from sheer size, being tall is no particular advantage in the midfield.

Surely close skills, decision-making, composure, pace, endurance, instinct etc. matter more.

Moore's a possible AA for just such reasons & someone whose skills suit an onball role, surely.

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All these injuries are very concerning, and also hasn't looked quite the same player this year. Hopefully he is just finding his feet again, but he could be anything. Hopefully he ends up as good as we all hope

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's been doing some really weird things during games. Taking that tackler on, on the wing was just a bit silly and arrogant. Kick the ball long, might be a lack of confidence in a way? Not sure.

He's been doing some really weird things during games. Taking that tackler on, on the wing was just a bit silly and arrogant. Kick the ball long, might be a lack of confidence in a way? Not sure.
An excess of confidence relative to season conditioning more likely than a lack of confidence.

The constant injuries are frustrating and delaying his development. I still think he is our most talented player on the list regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back