Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

I got food poisoning from the all you can eat Pizza Hut in Shepparton. It closed last year FYI, the end of an institution!

The food poisoning is just a handy way to burn the calories from the buffet! Still listed as being open on Pizza Hut's website - but that goes to show you how far poor old Pizza Hut have fallen that even their website isn't current any more. When I was a kid you would line up for about an hour to get a table at one of their dine in restaurants (pre all you can eat days). Granted this is in Canberra so perhaps in actual cities they weren't quite as sought after.

Ordinary season given the promise of last season.

Yeah he was ordinary for most of the season. He's had two seasons to forget in a row, largely due to injuries.

Hopefully he comes back from preseason fit and more solid. He just needs a clean run at it and he will deliver on that potential.

The safe thing would be for Day to play HBF in 2023 because 1) needs continuity, 2) he's good there and 3) that role protects his slight build

BUT

I can't help but think back to that 40 meter left foot snap against Weagles and goal from clearance against GWS. It would be risky but I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as a third tall next year.

The safe thing would be for Day to play HBF in 2023 because 1) needs continuity, 2) he's good there and 3) that role protects his slight build

BUT

I can't help but think back to that 40 meter left foot snap against Weagles and goal from clearance against GWS. It would be risky but I wouldn't mind seeing more of him as a third tall next year.
Sam's not going to "protect" Day. He'll throw him into the big roles in 2023. Think those HBF days are probably over, or limited from now

At the end of the season, I noticed, without squinting, that Day was noticably thicker around the chest and arms.

Previously, it was like some kind of optical puzzle "Is he or isn't he bigger?"...any perceived size difference was barely perceptable until this year.

At the end of the season, I noticed, without squinting, that Day was noticably thicker around the chest and arms.

Previously, it was like some kind of optical puzzle "Is he or isn't he bigger?"...any perceived size difference was barely perceptable until this year.
Definitely bigger, his curve is about to hit now.

His kicking should tidy up with a full pre season to, that gws game where he sliced through players is what I can’t wait to see again.

I noticed he was bigger around the legs

Day came into the league physically less mature than most others, and you can tell just by looking at him he still has more to go - but did look noticeably more mature this year. No need to push anything, let that natural maturity finish and then see what more development he needs. Keen to see how he comes back with no injury and a pre-season.

Interesting 12 months ahead for Day.

Feels like the club really wants/hopes to turn him into a mid but not convinced that’s his go. Some players just never make the transition from backline (eg Birchall). Just seems to read the play and angles far better behind the ball (or in front of it in his cameo’s forward). Seemed to lack the spatial awareness when in midfield - couldn’t find time/space/composure and kept getting caught holding the ball. He may not have the agility/power for the midfield as his change of direction that works down back got eaten up by the quicker/more athletic mids.

Let’s just hope he had a big preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting 12 months ahead for Day.

Feels like the club really wants/hopes to turn him into a mid but not convinced that’s his go. Some players just never make the transition from backline (eg Birchall). Just seems to read the play and angles far better behind the ball (or in front of it in his cameo’s forward). Seemed to lack the spatial awareness when in midfield - couldn’t find time/space/composure and kept getting caught holding the ball. He may not have the agility/power for the midfield as his change of direction that works down back got eaten up by the quicker/more athletic mids.

Let’s just hope he had a big preseason.
The club is very convinced he can play mid.

Interesting the lack of attention this bloke gets/is getting this preseason. I have a feeling that its because we have had so many shiny and exciting new toys come in the last two years, perhaps our shiniest is flying under the radar a little.

From what I can tell, he's finally injury free, having his first full preseason, is starting to fill out a little more, seems to be more of a leader, and is training to play in the midfield specifically, yet theres not too much excitement around this guy.

Have his injuries and slighter frame lowered our expectations on him? Are other currently more exciting? Or is he our forgotten man?

Can't wait to see what he can do as a mid this year. Could easily be a player to win our BnF if things click.

Sent from my SCV41 using Tapatalk

Interesting the lack of attention this bloke gets/is getting this preseason. I have a feeling that its because we have had so many shiny and exciting new toys come in the last two years, perhaps our shiniest is flying under the radar a little.

From what I can tell, he's finally injury free, having his first full preseason, is starting to fill out a little more, seems to be more of a leader, and is training to play in the midfield specifically, yet theres not too much excitement around this guy.

Have his injuries and slighter frame lowered our expectations on him? Are other currently more exciting? Or is he our forgotten man?

Can't wait to see what he can do as a mid this year. Could easily be a player to win our BnF if things click.

I certainly haven't 'forgotten' about him, and I think the fact he's not getting much media attention is a GOOD thing....

He's got the potential to be in our top 3 most influential players.
Sicily...Day and Newcombe?

He's definitely not going under my radar but like most I'm sure nothing is being said about him because we don't want to jinx it / be let down. He does have a very slight frame and the jury is out as to whether his physique will allow him to live up to his incredible potential. One thing you cannot knock with this kid is his will because he's got balls as big as King Kong 😂

He's definitely not going under my radar but like most I'm sure nothing is being said about him because we don't want to jinx it / be let down. He does have a very slight frame and the jury is out as to whether his physique will allow him to live up to his incredible potential. One thing you cannot knock with this kid is his will because he's got balls as big as King Kong 😂
Another skinny Pick 13 went alright, if he can have a similar career I'd be pretty happy.

I don’t think this got posted at the time, but it’s a very good chat with Will from November.

Starts off about his school footy, but does give a great insight into his draft year, the Hawks and the playing group.

I wonder if this midfield talk includes playing on the wing?

I'm still concerned he is not big enough to play in the middle full time. We can't afford to have someone that's not able to compete physically with others (not from lack of trying, he always goes hard).

He certainly has the skills, but I hope he can put on some more kegs to not only protect himself but to be able to compete with some of the bigger bodies. He may have to roll through the middle with Nash and Meek as bodyguards.

Day is my favourite player on our list. I still feel he has the highest potential of any of our young players.

But I just need to see it across 18+ games in 2023... he's really become a heart in mouth type player every time he gets a knock. Hopefully that's all in the past.

I wonder if this midfield talk includes playing on the wing?

I'm still concerned he is not big enough to play in the middle full time. We can't afford to have someone that's not able to compete physically with others (not from lack of trying, he always goes hard).

He certainly has the skills, but I hope he can put on some more kegs to not only protect himself but to be able to compete with some of the bigger bodies. He may have to roll through the middle with Nash and Meek as bodyguards.
When drafted he was 187cm / 70kgs.
At the start of 2022 he was 191cm (excellent) and 81kgs. So that’s a decent 3-4kgs added per pre-season.

I suspect he’s probably 83 - 85kgs already, but at his height he ideally plays “fully formed” at 88 - 90kgs.

Having said that, in 2022 the following players played at 85 - 86kgs

Jordan Dawson (192cm)
Finn Callaghan (192cm)
Scott Pendlebury (191cm)
Elijah Hollande (189cm)
Mitch Duncan (188cm)
Cooper Stephens (188cm)
George Hewett (187cm)
Adam Cerra (187cm)

So I don’t think he’d be incapable of playing regularly in the mids if he manages to get up to around 85-86kgs.

He’d be the same dimensions as Pendles and he’s gone okay don’t you think?

When drafted he was 187cm / 70kgs.
At the start of 2022 he was 191cm (excellent) and 81kgs. So that’s a decent 3-4kgs added per pre-season.

I suspect he’s probably 83 - 85kgs already, but at his height he ideally plays “fully formed” at 88 - 90kgs.

Having said that, in 2022 the following players played at 85 - 86kgs

Jordan Dawson (192cm)
Finn Callaghan (192cm)
Scott Pendlebury (191cm)
Elijah Hollande (189cm)
Mitch Duncan (188cm)
Cooper Stephens (188cm)
George Hewett (187cm)
Adam Cerra (187cm)

So I don’t think he’d be incapable of playing regularly in the mids if he manages to get up to around 85-86kgs.

He’d be the same dimensions as Pendles and he’s gone okay don’t you think?

He's nowhere near the size of Pendles right now, though that would be the ideal size for him.

I have seen Day up close at training prior to Christmas and he still looks slight to me. He may never put on weight and that's not the end of the world, he'd still be a great HBF or wingman. But to reach his huge ceiling I think he needs those kgs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back