Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Gotta love the headfu**ed Bombre supporters coming to “lol” at my post regarding Port taking him.

So cooked.
'Hawthorn need to access the elite end of the Draft'

Hawthorn selects Will Day

'Nah not that one...'

Just going to make it all the more sweet watching him develop in to a star of the competition!

'Nah not that one...'

Just going to make it all the more sweet watching him develop in to a star of the competition!
It's funny though, because with Scully (1), Patton (1), O'Meara (better than 1), Skrillex (7), Wingard (6), McEvoy (9), Burgoyne (9), Frawley (12) & Smitty (19); & Tom Mitchell at F/S at Pick 21, we've probs got as many Top 20 Picks in our Best 22 as any club except for GilWS...

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
It's funny though, because with Scully (1), Patton (1), O'Meara (better than 1), Skrillex (7), Wingard (6), McEvoy (9), Burgoyne (9), Frawley (12) & Smitty (19); & Tom Mitchell at F/S at Pick 21, we've probs got as many Top 20 Picks in our Best 22 as any club except for GilWS...

I love how you threw Silk’s name in there. He’s about to embark on his 19th season in the league in which his nephew is starting his first. The fact that he’s still a great / important contributor to the team is absolutely phenomenal. I hope Clarko puts young Will Day under his wing and says absorb everything you can from him while you can and if you become half the player he is you’ll be a superstar.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
We can expect to cop some rubbish as almost everyone had Kemp ahead of Day in their pecking order. But the club sees something in Day that they didn't in Kemp, and apparently that's the class disposal and decision making.

As others have pointed out the size and strength can be worked on, but the smooth kicking action, decision making and his aerial ability is all natural.

As a side note I saw an unfortunate player comparison for Kemp during the draft coverage - Kyle Langford. If that proves to be true then we dodged a bullet.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
From Adelaide newspaper The Messenger today:

West Adelaide young gun Will Day follows in grandfather’s footsteps after being drafted to Hawthorn

Will Day grew up being regaled by tales from his grandfather Robert of his exploits in the famous brown and gold.
The dream of following in the 1971 Hawthorn premiership player’s footsteps once seemed a lifetime away for young Will until, on Wednesday night, it became reality.

The 18-year-old West Adelaide defender was plucked by the Hawks with pick 13, sealing a piece of history for the Day family.

“It’s pretty special,” Day said of joining the club where Robert played 38 games from 1971-72.

“Growing up I’ve looked up to him and what he was able to achieve, obviously being at Hawthorn now is pretty cool.

1575084023549.png

“I’m just letting it sink in. It doesn’t feel real yet but I’m stoked.

“(Grandpa) was lost for words to begin with, we got his premiership guernsey out and a few other things.

“He was just grateful and stoked, really stoked.”

Robert played in the Hawks’ seven-point grand final triumph over St Kilda his first season at the club, but the now 75-year-old really made his name at Richmond Oval as a three-time Bloods best and fairest winner and SA Football Hall of Famer.

Day may not get the chance to make the same type of mark at West, but his performances in the red and black this year caught the eye of the Hawks.

The former state baseball representative, who gave up the sport to focus on footy, shot up draft boards with his athleticism, rebound from defence and ability to efficiently kick on both sides.

The 187cm Day averaged 26 disposals in four under-18 games for West and also played three reserves matches, along with school footy at Sacred Heart.

He averaged 19 disposals per game with 79 per cent kicking efficiency at the national championships.

Robert says he has “been trying to keep a lid on it” but could not hide his excitement.

“The greatest thing about this for me is Alastair Clarkson, who I think is very astute and one of the best going around, has sat down and made a judgment call to pick Will and take a chance on him,” Robert says.

“But he (Will) has done it all himself, on and off the field he’s worked hard for it.”

Will’s ability to kick with both feet didn’t come about by chance, it was due to years of practice with a great teacher.

“He used to hate the fact when he kicked with grandpa he had to kick with his left foot but I made him,” Robert says.

“By the time he got to 12 he could kick on both feet as well as handball.

“When you see that talent as a grandpa it’s hard not to be excited.

“The thing about Will is he wants to do it and has the skills to do it. If he can handle the physicality against men and have some resilience he can do it at the next level.”

Day said he met with the Hawks several times early in year before it appeared their interest had cooled, leading him to believe other keen clubs such as Port Adelaide were more possible destinations.

Hawthorn recruiting manager Mark McKenzie said the club sees Day as a utility across half-back and on the wing, with a future in the midfield once he adds weight to his slight frame.

Phone calls from stars Tom Mitchell and Isaac Smith along with texts from a list of Hawks stars have only added to a surreal 24 hours for Day.

But the call that stood out was from four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson.

“Clarko called pretty much straight away and said he loved the way I played and he’s excited to get me down there,” Day said.

NICE1

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Makes me wonder how much of a say Clarko has in the whole draft process. Obviously he'd have input but if Clarko wants a player and Wright/Mckenzie disagree, who wins out?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
As a side note I saw an unfortunate player comparison for Kemp during the draft coverage - Kyle Langford. If that proves to be true then we dodged a bullet.

To be fair, Days comparison was Jarryn Geary.
Would love to know how they come up with those. Is it simply who they tested similar to in the combine? Looking at young Wills highlights, there is nothing remotely similar to Geary other than they both play in the backline...

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Makes me wonder how much of a say Clarko has in the whole draft process. Obviously he'd have input but if Clarko wants a player and Wright/Mckenzie disagree, who wins out?

It's an interesting question, most coaches are control freaks and I'm sure Clarko is no different however a large part of Hawthorn's success has been built on Clarko's ability to empower and trust his staff in key roles to set up an effective 'system'. Graham Wright probably holds the second most power at the club behind Clarko so I'd say that in any scenario where there was a disagreement then it would be majority rules between Clarko, GW and Mckenzie. Largely though, I think they would have enough discussions to all be on the same page.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Would love to know how they come up with those. Is it simply who they tested similar to in the combine? Looking at young Wills highlights, there is nothing remotely similar to Geary other than they both play in the backline...

Geary, my lord they look nothing alike as players.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Geary, my lord they look nothing alike as players.

All I can think is that must be the height, position and courage that went into that comparison. That's about all they seem to have in common based off Days highlights. Day looks taller too so I'm not even sure but counts.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clarko may have just said why bother trading the farm for a Lachie Whitfield type, GW and co go find me someone we can mould. Clarko needs players to build a clear gameplan around and I would imagine we have a need for this in a particular way

Mojo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2007
Beaumaris
AFL Club
Hawthorn

'Nah not that one...'

I'm still amazed so many people think we're going to finish near the bottom of the ladder year in year out.. haven't they learned anything from our last decade of dominance?! If we're down it's not for long.

We can expect to cop some rubbish as almost everyone had Kemp ahead of Day in their pecking order. But the club sees something in Day that they didn't in Kemp, and apparently that's the class disposal and decision making.

As others have pointed out the size and strength can be worked on, but the smooth kicking action, decision making and his aerial ability is all natural.

We weren't the only club that didn't pick Kemp
17th off the board not a massive slide but not like he was a lock for top 5 or anything.

Why worry what supporters of other clubs think. People get way too excited by draft picks who have never played a game of senior footy.

We copped rubbish for Hodge for years. We cop rubbish for winning three in a row during the wrong seasons according to some.

We've picked up a kid with a lot of athleticism who also happens to be a very good kick on both sides and not lacking in courage or footy smarts.

So he's light, he hasn't finished growing either. People want ready made players that impact from the start, most of the best players didn't start like that.

He's got enough ticks that he could become anything, we've just got to wait and see.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Sorry if someone has already asks this leave in the bash in middle of New South Wales with shithouse reception. But is he left and right foot it? And who Else did we take? Sorry for the simple questions.
Simple? I think you need re-read what you just wrote, it’s a brain freeze!!

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
No, the experts expect the same output from Will. He plays like Geary.

Sick of people talking about him being skinny.

Nat Fyfe James Hird and Marcus Bontempelli were all skinny kids who came in immediately and had an impact then got even better as they filled out. People keep overlooking the skill factor which is How We won 4 flags.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
We weren't the only club that didn't pick Kemp
17th off the board not a massive slide but not like he was a lock for top 5 or anything.

Why worry what supporters of other clubs think. People get way too excited by draft picks who have never played a game of senior footy.

We copped rubbish for Hodge for years. We cop rubbish for winning three in a row during the wrong seasons according to some.

We've picked up a kid with a lot of athleticism who also happens to be a very good kick on both sides and not lacking in courage or footy smarts.

So he's light, he hasn't finished growing either. People want ready made players that impact from the start, most of the best players didn't start like that.

He's got enough ticks that he could become anything, we've just got to wait and see.

Yeah I get it, but chances are they won't.

Kemp ahead of Day but gold coast, us, the dogs the cats the power didn't rate him enough to pick him. Heck even the Blues who could have kept pick 9 and taken him there didn't rate him to the point they could trade that out. I don't go out and see them play but I reckon clubs are weary now about taking injured players high in a draft. They haven't played at AFL level yet and they have to overcome a severe injury on top of the riggers of AFL football. We got burned with Dowler and Muston. Maybe we would have taken Kemp if his first name was Beau? Or maybe we think Day was going to be a gun.

Kemp ahead of Day but gold coast, us, the dogs the cats the power didn't rate him enough to pick him. Heck even the Blues who could have kept pick 9 and taken him there didn't rate him to the point they could trade that out. I don't go out and see them play but I reckon clubs are weary now about taking injured players high in a draft. They haven't played at AFL level yet and they have to overcome a severe injury on top of the riggers of AFL football. We got burned with Dowler and Muston. Maybe we would have taken Kemp if his first name was Beau? Or maybe we think Day was going to be a gun.
Or maybe we just let some silly club re-hab him, then we grab him in 2 years with a Future 4th

Back