Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
me and a few of the other draft watchers were very impressed with Day playing for SA in the National Championships and had him around pick 20 mostly because he was middle height and very slim(you also have to understand he came from nowhere, he had no history or indication from SA of being good), but in the games i saw he always had the talent he shows on a regular basis in the AFL even back then, his intercepting and smart use of the footy has always been there, i just think that what we have learned since then is he has a determination and composed personality that makes stepping up to the level easier than most.

Can't remember who it was but in a Hawks TV video last year, one of our recruiters mentioned that a year ahead of Day being drafted, the club did not have him in the top 50 players in his draft year. He had a phenomenal next 12 months. It's why the club is very excited about this year's draft, because there is likely to be a large number of players that were not picked up because they never had the chance to develop and perform in their draft year and were late developers like Day.

Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Last year I posted that he could be our Nathan Fyfe and I’m not saying he could win two brownlows, but I think he could develop a body that allows him to be a similar player in the clinches like Fyfe is.

The thing is though that we tend to never really build players up to be bulking midfielders so there’s every chance that day only ever adds another 5 to 10 kg and remains as mobile as he currently is in the Whitfield shape.
Could be our Pendlebury I reckon

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And he is developing together with a team of intercepters...

Day, CJ, Sicily, Scrimshaw, Hardwick, and also DGB. How much is Sicily going to love the support around him when he returns?
Be hard to shut us down because they won’t be able to just block Sicily out of marking contests. 👍

That article doesn’t give much info on the injury just that he will meet with surgeons - seems odd
Means it a break and months if not the season done.

Back