Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

There's an old saying - to a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. A lot of medical professionals do get blinders when it comes to what they're good at, surgeons are no exception. It doesn't necessarily mean that they're wrong, but it's the reality. It's precisely how people with chronic injuries that could be solved with a few visits to a physio end up on painkillers for the rest of their life.

That said - there's definitely a lot more that goes into treatment planning for athletic professionals, they'd be getting input from more than just the surgeons. I'd be confident that if a course of action has been decided on it's not simply off the back of the surgeon's recommendations alone.
I totally agree that a professional (medical or otherwise) is always going to view a problem through the lense of their particular skillset. That includes surgeons thinking of surgical solutions.

What I'm arguing against is the ignorant idea that the only reason Will Day is getting surgery on his foot is because one surgeon has unilaterally decided it to be so because all he wants to do is perform some surgery for the sake of performing surgery.

Yes, perhaps this injury would heal itself without surgery at the expense of an extra couple months. The surgeon would still have to present that as an option to Will and the club doctors. And maybe he does want to perform the surgery, but he still has to explain and give an accurate assessment of the risks and downsides involved. The surgeon has to obtain informed consent from the patient before any surgery can be performed. And Will has the added bonus over the average person of having club medical staff available to help better evaluate the options presented.

CobberRodgers

All Australian
Feb 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is brilliant reading.

Will Day is in the best hands possible, fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.

Unfortunately he will need his leg chopped off.
The good news is Oscar Pistorius is willing to lend one of his blades as he no longer requires it
He prefers guns over blades anyway.

Having had of 38 screws, plates and pins myself
And when you've had as many screws and plates as me matey, it actually does make me a expert on how it all works, but you believe what you want.
Have you ever thought that maybe "outside" isn't for you?

And no, that doesn't make you an expert. Not even slightly.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons

Maybe this baby could be an option. No need to stay inside at all LMGjr 😂

tenor.gif

But it does give him a unique perspective. We have people posting who have internal knowledge of the club and now also people posting with experiences of the injury.

I'm most certainly a glass half full type of guy and at least in this topic LMGjr is a glass half empty but I think we should put down the pitchforks.

Time to build up strength in the upper body like a mofo and come back a beast next year

Love you Will
Love this, ankle will keep him off his feet but it's a great opportunity for him to get into the gym so next time some tigers flog trys to jump on him he can shrug that prick off.

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW
But it does give him a unique perspective. We have people posting who have internal knowledge of the club and now also people posting with experiences of the injury.

I'm most certainly a glass half full type of guy and at least in this topic LMGjr is a glass half empty but I think we should put down the pitchforks.

make me

I'm more than happy to listen to his experience and recovery from a similar issue, but it doesn't make him an expert and it sure as s**t doesn't give him an excuse to be a condescending prick about it!

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Actually mate, it does. But you wouldn't understand, so I've already wasted 3 seconds of my life on you I'll never get back - oh well time to go outside.

Not at all glass half empty mate, in fact it's 100% full, that's why, without knowing the full extent of his injury like everyone else on here.

I'd prefer a full natural recovery 110% ready for next year. I see zero point in rushing this for our future captain.
Time to build up strength in the upper body like a mofo and come back a beast next year
This is one good thing, but Will seemed to have the old "farmers" strength, which is why such a skinny fella was up for it straight away.

His experience with having undergone that kind of surgery certainly gives him the perspective around what the rehab is like. And if that's all he'd said then I'd actually agree (without knowing the details of Will's particular case) that taking the extra time to let it heal naturally could be better than having the surgery which is invasive and comes with the risk of infection which we have seen happen before (Kade Stewart I think? Was a few years back).

But he came in here asserting that the only reason he's getting the surgery is because the surgeon wants to do surgery. Which is BS. He has no idea of the particular details of Will's case that might make the surgery route less risky than typical, or even just plain required. Not to mention that our own club medical staff would be part of the consultation with the surgeon.

Essentially this isn't a case of the club just taking their hands off the wheel and letting one surgeon try to build his legend with a scalpel. This will have been an informed decision made by multiple people with far more expertise in this area than any of us. There's always risk involved in the surgery option but the club has shown itself to be very conservative when it comes to taking these kind of medical risks, so I imagine the benefits presented well justified the risk.

It's rather like taking panadol for years doesn't make you an expert in synthetic organic chemistry related to supramolecular architecture.

LMGjr

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Any news on Day? Club seems overly cautious. I hope it is not one of those foot injuries that some players never recover from...
Arh the old navis bone thingy that doesn't cause to much pain but pops and jiggles causing discomfort but robs you of power to push off from a standing a start etc and that surgeons always want to * with, instead of letting it heal like the small bones in the hand that boxers have venomous trouble with that just keep rebreaking without proper rest - is that the one your worried about?

Considering the way he was walking and everything else i share your concern. So does Trent Croad.

Back