Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Broken ankle. No timeline.

Ankle? Or the small bones in his foot?

Lis Franc fracture?

A broken ankle could be a few different things?

I hope the club would offer some real clarity - though having said that maybe they want to keep things private for Day's sake. Which doesn't bode well for him or for the club moving forward.

Lis Franc fracture?

I hope the club would offer some real clarity - though having said that maybe they want to keep things private for Day's sake. Which doesn't bode well for him or for the club moving forward.
Theyve said ankle. Haven't referenced the foot as yet.

Lis Franc fracture?

1617271853027.png
total guess as I’m not a medical person but the lower fibula (vertical bone on the outside of the foot) is a good candidate here because a high ankle sprain would potentially occur in the way we saw his ankle twist. In extreme cases the fibular is fractured in this same way.

edit: foot twisting outward from the body is the motion for a high ankle sprain and what will day did.

Last edited:
The two young players we couldn't afford to cop long term injuries in a year of rebuilding. We are cursed
DGB needs time in the gym mate. His body simply isn't ready either way. Wouldn't have gotten a game in the next 8 weeks. He's a fair way down the pecking order in an area of the ground we are stacked.

DGB needs time in the gym mate. His body simply isn't ready either way. Wouldn't have gotten a game in the next 8 weeks. He's a fair way down the pecking order in an area of the ground we are stacked.

I'm hoping the long term ambition is for him to be a key defender, we aren't stacked in that area of the ground.

Lis Franc fracture?

I don’t think it’s anywhere near that dramatic, it’s been forecast a 10 week injury. He’s more hope of playing again this year than Sicily.

I understand that, but you want your highest draft pick in over a decade to have an uninterrupted development season.

My wifes a sports podiatrist , she treats , diagnose's and rehabs this type if injury daily.

This probably wont appease everyone but the timeline is very hit and miss , she has clients back from ankle fracture in 6-8 weeks sometimes its 4-5 months......sometimes even longer
A lot of its quality of rehab sometimes its just luck and genetics.

Everyone will probably have a better timeframe a month post surgery .
I wouldnt be wasting too much energy speculating how long it will be , cos noone really knows .

My wifes a sports podiatrist , she treats , diagnose's and rehabs this type if injury daily.

This probably wont appease everyone but the timeline is very hit and miss , she has clients back from ankle fracture in 6-8 weeks sometimes its 4-5 months......sometimes even longer

I wouldnt be wasting too much energy speculating how long it will be , cos noone really knows .
Staying off the foot early and then doing the rehab are important factors within will’s control. That is all he and the club can focus on. The rest is luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. That's why i was putting forward the simple opinion of let it heal naturally, if possible, because ankles suck, esp once screwed and pinned. Trickiest to get right, add scar tissue from the knife, problems if the pin or screw is just a millimeter out - or hitting a nerve - referred pain - oh the joys of it all - but you'd think by a few responses I'd been asking to have him shot.

Be interesting to see what kind of recovery it is. Probably wouldn’t wanna bulk too much for the ankles and knees
Unless he trains with Essendon he's not going to bulk significantly enough within the timeframe of his ankle rehab to cause an imbalance.

I suspect once he's out of the cast and he's got the all clear he'll spend a lot of time in the pool and on the bike rather than lifting iron.

Unless he trains with Essendon he's not going to bulk significantly enough within the timeframe of his ankle rehab to cause an imbalance.

I suspect once he's out of the cast and he's got the all clear he'll spend a lot of time in the pool and on the bike rather than lifting iron.
No need to bulk this kid, he already has what they call "farmers" strength. He'll get vice like eventually.

Plus don't want extra weight on our future captains ankle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back