Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Jazzfan

Club Legend
Apr 12, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
B0F07E7B-878C-4F8C-AFEB-5F797D20EADF.jpeg

Guys, here are Days’ ankles as of his IG story TODAY.

Birks provide good foot support or do their presence simply mean he isn’t taking things seriously? 🤔🤔🤔

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Don’t need a highlights package, just re-watch the gws game. One of the most impressive games I’ve seen from a 19 year old.

We'll re-watch that game in a few years and pinpoint it as the moment the future started. Day and Moore will be premiership team mates and that GWS game will be when the first bud blossomed.

So where are you getting he wasn't injured from? And by this I obviously mean from the club, directly reported.

Like, he was listed on the official AFL injury list at round 23:

Medical room: The full AFL injury list, R23

Was Sicily still injured?
You’re ruining a good thread with your conspiracy theory of a catastrophic injury being kept from us.

Stop.

I think I'm asking very fair questions and have not once said Will has suffered a career ending injury.

I look forward to an up-date from the club on Will's progress from injury. Given he was listed in round 23 with a season ending injury, like other players we received an update on today.
His season ending injury was communicated a month before that, and the club stated it was season ending because he wouldn’t gain the conditioning to play the last round. He was back in full training at that point.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How good will day be?

The most exciting player at the club for mine, he is a game changer.

MasterSamurai

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
BayernMunchen
Mathew Lloyd didn't just pick Will Day from Hawthorns best young players, he could have gone with plethora of performers in the comp, so yes, it IS good from Lloydy to look past other choices and pick out our own Will. That's my view anyway.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

To keep you going

It is clear in that package that compared to other players Will more often kicked the ball on his non-preferred left.

Will Day is improving his skills and confident enough to do it in a game.

Reminiscence: Sam Mitchell was told by a coach in his junior years to choose to kick the ball on his best foot (the right). Sam chose to continue to improve his lesser skilled foot… the left

It seems certain that Will Day will become near as proficient as Sam Mitchell on either foot, of this I have no doubt.

As much as I want the Hawks to win games next year, I hope we find a position for Day that does not bash him up too much.
I fear Will Day is rolled gold.

And I hope Will puts on some core muscle weight = work with Harvey (the king of the hip-shake... he was near impossible to tackle).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mathew Lloyd didn't just pick Will Day from Hawthorns best young players, he could have gone with plethora of performers in the comp, so yes, it IS good from Lloydy to look past other choices and pick out our own Will. That's my view anyway.

Yep definitely great to hear from someone outside the club. Then Damo goes ahead with choosing the top5 draft pick KPF on a young finals team as his next star in Logan McDonald - what a great footy brain, really thinking outside the box and taking a risk there.

I think Will Day is most similar to Lachie Whitfield off half back - Day’s got a bit more aerial ability and less gut running (at this stage) but they both read the game and can change angles with their foot skills.

If Day develops into a midfielder over the years as he adds size then I think he becomes a completely unique beast. He takes a great grab so his ceiling might be similar to Fyfe (with less power and more skills)

blackheart

Town Pariah
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Steelers, Bulls, Gunners
Yep definitely great to hear from someone outside the club. Then Damo goes ahead with choosing the top5 draft pick KPF on a young finals team as his next star in Logan McDonald - what a great footy brain, really thinking outside the box and taking a risk there.

I think Will Day is most similar to Lachie Whitfield off half back - Day’s got a bit more aerial ability and less gut running (at this stage) but they both read the game and can change angles with their foot skills.

If Day develops into a midfielder over the years as he adds size then I think he becomes a completely unique beast. He takes a great grab so his ceiling might be similar to Fyfe (with less power and more skills)

That's why you listen to someone who's immersed himself in the game like Lloyd over a choad like Barrett.

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I like about Will Day is his willingness to take the game on, takes the risk when needed to.

I still remember his first goal against Carlton last year.

Last edited:

LuckyHawk

Premiership Player
Feb 16, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
How good will day be?

The most exciting player at the club for mine, he is a game changer.
Absolutely, l think he is already our most important player even after playing few games.
He has it all including certain future captaincy after our next captain.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Reminiscence: Sam Mitchell was told by a coach in his junior years to choose to kick the ball on his best foot (the right). Sam chose to continue to improve his lesser skilled foot… the left
Not exactly correct. Real story is fantastic though.

“As a kid, I started off as a left-footer, but I had to change my technique,” Mitchell told reporters.

“I was one of those kids that dropped the ball with two hands, so I spent a year changing my technique when I was about 13 or 14.

“In the middle of that, I had a coach that thought I was a right-footed and yelled at me for kicking on my left. He thought I was ‘lairising’.

“So I did two things. One I became a right-footer and two I got a dictionary and tried to figure out what lairising meant.

“So I became I right-footer at the age of 14.”

So given Will reinjured his same ankle, managed five games in 2021 and wasn't sighted since round 15, you don't think fans would want an update from injury?Especially given they are providing this for other players that we already knew would be fine to go in pre-season?

In the absence, one can only be concerned mate.

Mitchell said at the inside the huddle event that Will Day will be good to go round 1. But have fun claiming the sky is falling I guess.

I appreciate the first part mate. Second, well, just being a bit of a dick.

Welcome back.

All good, if there’s any player worth getting frantic about on our list right now it’s definitely young Will.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mitchell said at the inside the huddle event that Will Day will be good to go round 1. But have fun claiming the sky is falling I guess.
I would have preferred he said he will be good to go first day of pre-season.

We might be reading too much into 'off the cuff' statements.

Fingers and toes crossed the kid gets a clear run at 2022.

Do people not watch the injury updates?

Day was back training in late July, they just pulled the plug on him working back into the 22.

from July.

Back