Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hoping he has some forward craft and can be our utility version of Pavlich and have the flexibility to play him all over the ground.

If he can get close to Pav level flexibility, we've succeeded well beyond all expectations.

Personally I'm hoping he can roll through the middle and be at home there/on a wing, but even if he became a low level Pav clone it would be a recruiting coup.

We've been targeting players with drive, football smarts and an iron will to succeed almost exclusively, so hard to see that he won't become very, very good at something on the AFL filed.

Last edited:
Add to that "Wedders" but I was thinking he has the following attributes:

Fast
High leap on the run
Huge thighs
Ginger hair
Very lean and muscular
Endurance
And still very young

So how about "Joey" as in "JoWe"?
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Weddle > Bruhn. I'm calling it.

Sliding doors moment.
I think they're difficult to compare, but Bruhn appeared to me a very plain player and I was never quite sure why some were so hyped.

I'm excited for Weddle to become a star without limiting it by comparisons. He'll be the first and only Josh Weddle!

Nice listen, claims he grew 20 cm in 2 years, his mother has a running/endurance background.
Weddle showed maturiy to seek help from Tamsin Lewis to improve his running and endurance and the rest,
well, is history.

Also has a baslketball background because that is the new trend in draftees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice listen, claims he grew 20 cm in 2 years, his mother has a running/endurance background.
Weddle showed maturiy to seek help from Tamsin Lewis to improve his running and endurance and the rest,
well, is history.

Also has a baslketball background because that is the new trend in draftees.

Also mentioned he played as a midfielder as recently as last season and for the majority of his junior career. A tall, strong, versatile athlete with the drive and dedication to improve and experience as a small in-and-under midfielder? Sign me up.

20cm in two years. Spare a thought for Mum and Dad trying to feed that animal.

Looks like he could definitely play AFL level footy next year, along with McKenzie.
His development toward AFL football should be getting his skills and composure up to scratch. He's a ripper endurance athlete and with his frame he won't be getting knocked around as an in-and-out midfielder. I hope we get games into these highly rated draftees early, look at the wonders early AFL experience did for CMac, Ward, and Duke's development this past season.

Learning about him last couple of days and seems like amazing physical attributes, and a great person.

Personally, I like the way the club did not commit to the trade of picks to get a higher selection, but waited until they had the opportunity to draft someone they had genuinely rated higher (and targeted) before they pulled the trigger on the deal.

Means we used our draft capital to commit to a specific player we really wanted and valued, rather than simply committing our resources to a higher selection regardless of what was on offer. No draft strategy is fool-proof, but that approach seems sensible to me.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing him develop. Fingers crossed he has a great career.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back