Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

Been getting more excited the more I read about this kid - but I'm baffled as to his best position. Is it simplistic to plonk him at FB when his body is up to it (where he was named AA this year at nationals level) - and have that position sorted for us for a decade? Why the 'big midfielder' chat?

I don't think he is going to be tall enough for a key defensive post.

In one of the videos I think Mackenzie said they think he could lay on a wing, given his elite athletic attributes.

In one of the videos I think Mackenzie said they think he could lay on a wing, given his elite athletic attributes.
I reckon its possible the kid still has some growth left in him. 20 cm over the last two years, it possible he ends up 197 cm.

Been getting more excited the more I read about this kid - but I'm baffled as to his best position. Is it simplistic to plonk him at FB when his body is up to it (where he was named AA this year at nationals level) - and have that position sorted for us for a decade? Why the 'big midfielder' chat?

I too am baffled to his best position.

I want us to be the innovators, not just follow and try to repeat what has been done before.

Kennedy, Jeans, Clarkson not only changed how the game was to be played.
Their changes also lead to changes in the rules of the game, such as the introduction of the centre diamond/square and the 666 rule.

What excities me about Weddle is the potential for being unpredictable.

Hopefully the reasons why we are baffled to his best position is that Sammy has already started to play a different game to the one we have grown up with.

I like the idea of him playing on the wing, and rotating through the middle and/or the HBF.

He's athletic, has a big tank and is of a size that most wingmen couldn't compete with physically. He also knows how to defend a man and is good in the air. So hopefully he is the kind of wingman that could lock a whole side of the field down, working both ways.

He offers Mitchell a lot of flexibility to potentially move CJ, Scrimshaw and Day around. Maybe Day makes the transition into the midfield (and forward of the ball?) fully now, and Weddle could take over the defensive role across the HBF?

I like the idea of him playing on the wing, and rotating through the middle and/or the HBF.

He's athletic, has a big tank and is of a size that most wingmen couldn't compete with physically. He also knows how to defend a man and is good in the air. So hopefully he is the kind of wingman that could lock a whole side of the field down, working both ways.

He offers Mitchell a lot of flexibility to potentially move CJ, Scrimshaw and Day around. Maybe Day makes the transition into the midfield (and forward of the ball?) fully now, and Weddle could take over the defensive role across the HBF?

A rotating 4 way HBF/Wing position.

Combining the four positions into one single defending third man up gut ball zone breaking offensive wide receiving running goal kicking role.

Nothing like keeping expectations in check for a draftee….

Has a lot of athletic tools but not many guys step in straight away (Ward, McDonald a bit rare) - particularly if we’re grooming him for wing/outside and he’s played more footy down back in last two years.

Fun fact: Weddle is the heaviest player taken in the first round (tied with Cadman). With his athleticism at that weight, I'm looking forward to seeing him tear apart packs and hopefully master his stoppage bodywork like he has in defence. Really getting Kouta vibes if we see him as a fully fledge midfielder.

Stop it... enough!!! I've already weddled my bed. Stop.

That depends on whether he grows anymore. If he has another 4-5 cm spurt than your looking at possibly our next CHB. We are basing where he will play on what his size is now. That could all change. Particularly if he adds a few more kilos on top of what he already has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That depends on whether he grows anymore. If he has another 4-5 cm spurt than your looking at possibly our next CHB. We are basing where he will play on what his size is now. That could all change. Particularly if he adds a few more kilos on top of what he already has.

If he grows more I think that will only strengthen his chances of primarily being a midfielder.

DGB and Blanck will be given every opportunity to nail down a key defensive spot. Will McCabe, at his current trajectory, could easily be our long term centre half back from round 1 2024 as well.

Weddle's versatility won't be wasted on simply throwing him behind the ball in my opinion.

Nothing like keeping expectations in check for a draftee….

Has a lot of athletic tools but not many guys step in straight away (Ward, McDonald a bit rare) - particularly if we’re grooming him for wing/outside and he’s played more footy down back in last two years.
Not many guys are coming in to a team quite this open, either. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

For a guy to grow that much in height and still be a solid unit - there's something unique here.

Will be a beast and the trade will make total sense.
When you see the quality that Sam and MM have been able to find with speculative selections in the MSD and SSP, and then you see what they were prepared to trade just to get this kid, it's pretty exciting to think how high a ceiling he might have.

If he grows more I think that will only strengthen his chances of primarily being a midfielder.

DGB and Blanck will be given every opportunity to nail down a key defensive spot. Will McCabe, at his current trajectory, could easily be our long term centre half back from round 1 2024 as well.

Weddle's versatility won't be wasted on simply throwing him behind the ball in my opinion.

Not sure how they develop but am not convinced on what we have seen so far that DGB is going to end up as a top tier key defender. Might be better on the third talls. Who knows. Fingers crossed it all clicks for him though.

Not sure how they develop but am not convinced on what we have seen so far that DGB is going to end up as a top tier key defender. Might be better on the third talls. Who knows. Fingers crossed it all clicks for him though.

The brilliant thing about DGB is he's going to have the ability to play on small, medium and tall imo. Just needs to get that body fully matured and he's going to able to hang with the guys who rag doll him traditionally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back