Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's the expectation for Joshy Weddle 2023. Who's going out on a limb ??
Average 22 & 2 as a mid up until the bye, then switch to Full Back where his average drops to 17 & 1.

Will somehow still come in 2nd in the Rising Star…

Can't see Weddle getting games early in the season given he hasn't played as a midfielder in over two years.

He'll surely need some time to re-adapt to the role, be it as a wingman or as a centre midfielder.

Frenchie on the other hand could get a go early if he's physically up to it. His skills certainly are and he could be eased in through the HFF, just like MacDonald was.

Can't see Weddle getting games early in the season given he hasn't played as a midfielder in over two years.

He'll surely need some time to re-adapt to the role, be it as a wingman or as a centre midfielder.

Frenchie on the other hand could get a go early if he's physically up to it. His skills certainly are and he could be eased in through the HFF, just like MacDonald was.
I could see Hawthorn rotating Weddle and Day between the wings and back flank

Our social media team have been an issue for me for some time.

They’re not social. They do not interact with members.

They simply post like it’s a bulletin board, and currently they don’t even do that enough.
I agree with this, but i would say Box Hill is so much better than Hawthorn's AFL team socials it's not even funny.

The club is thinking Wddle is a bit of a wildcard. They aren’t sure how to place him at the moment. Bit of a different type off field too from the click of young guys.
I like the idea of him one day starting every game on the bench because it's part of a strategy where he can interchange onto the ground in practically any position to put out a fire, shift the balance of a contest, or even just cause headaches for opposition coaches because they'll have to prepare for multiple possibilities just for one player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny how Blicavs was considered a bit of a joke of a player for a long time. A Steeple Jumper who didn't belong. Has a good season in a premiership year and now he is someone to follow in their footsteps... Probably warranted - has had a solid career now.

I'm hoping Weddle delivers a bit earlier in his career than Blicavs and makes a name for himself.

The club is thinking Wddle is a bit of a wildcard. They aren’t sure how to place him at the moment. Bit of a different type off field too from the click of young guys.
Really good to hear.
We have too many conventional types who look like they all went to school together.
A successful team will have a solid core of these types, but also a handful of misfits.
We need a few Dippers, Plattens, Dermies...

Really good to hear.
We have too many conventional types who look like they all went to school together.
A successful team will have a solid core of these types, but also a handful of misfits.
We need a few Dippers, Plattens, Dermies...
A few Matt Spanghers :) I never met him, but always thought he'd be a classic character!

In what way is he considered a different type?

I guess you would say he just doesn’t fit the stereotypical footy player. Not that he is standoffish with the others, but might be one who moves differently off field to the large majority at the club.
On field he is an unknown, the big question will be does he have the natural footy brain. The athlete part seems well covered very early in the piece.

I guess you would say he just doesn’t fit the stereotypical footy player. Not that he is standoffish with the others, but might be one who moves differently off field to the large majority at the club.
On field he is an unknown, the big question will be does he have the natural footy brain. The athlete part seems well covered very early in the piece.
ahh sheeet he writes poetry, doesn't he?

Or in terms of our group maybe he doesn't care about NFTs :moustache:
Was gonna say this. Love our young crew but the Lazy Ape Monkey Whatever NFT saga was cringe to watch in real time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back