Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

In other words, he went back to his 1-wood. He is a great one-on-one defender and can play small or tall. Played on Cadman and Sheezel last year.

Hope we see a debut this week
Exactly.
I see no point in playing him as a defender at Box Hill.
We know he is elite in that part of the ground.
Get him into the seniors playing as a defender, push someone else up the ground.
Over time Weddle will get a feel for the dynamics upfield the more he rebounds out of the D50.
Maybe then he can make the transition into the midfield/wing, but it's fine by me if he becomes an elite rebounding defender too.

It's good to hear that Weddle had a very good day out. It seems that way down the line, in 5–6 years, he could replace Sicily. Of course, that's for the far, far future. Anyway, it's going to be a lot of fun this year seeing Weddle expose his VFL opponents with his athletic ability. Hopefully we see him make his debut this season, whether that is early on or late in the season.

It's good to hear that Weddle had a very good day out. It seems that way down the line, in 5–6 years, he could replace Sicily. Of course, that's for the far, far future. Anyway, it's going to be a lot of fun this year seeing Weddle expose his VFL opponents with his athletic ability. Hopefully we see him make his debut this season, whether that is early on or late in the season.
I highly doubt that we want him to replace Sicily when he has the aerobic profile that he does.

We will want him running from end to end, and using his size at stoppages.

I highly doubt that we want him to replace Sicily when he has the aerobic profile that he does.

We will want him running from end to end, and using his size at stoppages.
True, but I can envision him floating across the backline and making incredible interceptions over the backs of people like Charlie Curnow. I think Weddle will become our Nik Cox. That athletic, tall, versatile player who can play just about anywhere on the ground. In my opinion, his best position will be a wing role where he can move into the centre. Either way, he is a very exciting talent that comes in a rare physical package, which is why it’s no wonder Sam and Mark McKenzie decided to move up to grab him.

I do wonder if he’ll debut at hbf or on the wing. Hbf is in many ways a lot easier to play and he can actually defend if needed.

There’s something to be said about having a back 6 of all big units (as Geelong has - ie Tom Stewart was the lightest guy in their flag back 6).

Plenty of time to progress up to the wing (which a lot struggle to play well).

There is no point rushing Weddle, I’m sure internally we know we have a very good player. Let him learn the structures and game plan first, let him start to dominate at vfl level first. Play guys like Ned Long who can possibly make it as big bodied forward of centre players first to see if they can make it

If he can’t get games in this 22 soon then I’m concerned. This is the worst Hawthorn side I’ve seen in my 30 years following the club.

This is the worst performed Hawthorn side I've seen in 27 years following them and nothing concerns me about Josh Weddle.

The best player over the first two rounds in the entire AFL this season took years to become a best 22 starter in a side that has been a basket case for 4 years. Yes I'm talking about LDU.

The problem right now isn't even the depth. It's the lack of confidence, cohesion and experience. All 3 are fixable with time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After watching the stream on the weekend it looks like he is a fair way away from playing firsts. He struggled to get into the game and didn't
really have any real impact. Let him build into his first season and hopefully by mid year he's finding his confidence and form and is ready to come into the firsts. Hopefully by that time we're playing better and we're not throwing him to the wolves.

After watching the stream on the weekend it looks like he is a fair way away from playing firsts. He struggled to get into the game and didn't
really have any real impact. Let him build into his first season and hopefully by mid year he's finding his confidence and form and is ready to come into the firsts. Hopefully by that time we're playing better and we're not throwing him to the wolves.
Look, with an athletic, versatile player like him, I'd rather Weddle progress gradually instead of being good out of the gate and then not improving for about two years. We all saw how Nik Cox burst onto the scene in 2021, and his name was being thrown around as the second coming of Nick Riewoldt. He hasn't done anything since.

Josh Weddle (18 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles)

"Weds had to play a little bit taller at times as a defender this week, but was really strong and had a really solid performance, with some really good one-on-one contests and moments where he was able to get out and run and use his power. He was really impressive, we'll keep him going and his showing some great versatility in the roles that he can play for us."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back