Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be something brillaintly creative, no doubt...something like "Wedds" "Weddsy" or "Weddo"
You are likely right! Nicknames are always created on the spot and rarely smart. I’ll wait with baited breath to see which of “s”, “sy” or “o” comes out on top. If any of these come true… 😁

Last edited:

It will be something brillaintly creative, no doubt...something like "Wedds" "Weddsy" or "Weddo"

Now that's sorted, the cheersquad have nothing to do all summer.

Anything under 6:30 for a 2km is good going. For the 20m sprint anything under 3s is fast! Our new boy is big, fast and intuitive in his game sense. I admit, this selection threw me… but the more I look the more I love.

many numbers are old… TJ definitely is better than these number show... but as a reference… it shows a lot

Attachments

• AB74D20F-30DC-439A-8D4B-DC7C52062684.jpeg
    AB74D20F-30DC-439A-8D4B-DC7C52062684.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
Sold on Weddle. But what is his nickname? Because yelling “YES, we’ll done Weddle“ feels like saying my grandmother won bingo… “Yes Grandma-Weddle … now sit down”

Firs thing I thought of when I read this was "The Duck Song".......Waddle Waddle.
Kinda doesnt work for a footballer though.......

1669644433496.jpeg

Got any grapes

A few thoughts on this one... The trade context and not the player.

A few people melting about what we paid and we did pay a steep price, however, we must not forget the complexion of this draft.

Listening to recruiters and twomey over the past months and days it's pretty clear that there was a talented top 12-18 with most clubs in lock step about the first 10 but some variation after that. There was a noted fall away in talent after the first two tiers and it became very very even after that.

Beatson who is the Sydney recruiter we did the deal with said they had an 'elite' 7 and then a group of 10 after that and weddle would have been pretty high in this group given they were pretty much nailed on to pick him where we did.

The 4P has said that Weddle was close to ten on our big board. So, in a way, you can forget about the actual numbers attached to the picks because we traded up not for the 14th pick (after academy/FS) but we traded for value that we saw at around the 10th pick. Because there was a noted drop off after pick 18, the pick 27 we were holding was pretty much in no man's land. We could possibly have picked someone there who would easily be available at 36 (given the aforementioned evenness)... So basically the was i see this trade is using a F2 (which has high value), a low value pick 27 and a F3 to buy a talent we put around pick 10.... If someone said you can have pick 10 for 27, F37-41 AND F19-23.... You do that deal all day.

Hopefully that gives some context.

TLDR - it's about the value of the player relative to your big board and the opportunity cost of other picks relative to your big board (and not the numerical values)...

A few people melting about what we paid and we did pay a steep price, however, we must not forget the complexion of this draft.

Listening to recruiters and twomey over the past months and days it's pretty clear that there was a talented top 12-18 with most clubs in lock step about the first 10 but some variation after that. There was a noted fall away in talent after the first two tiers and it became very very even after that.

Beatson who is the Sydney recruiter we did the deal with said they had an 'elite' 7 and then a group of 10 after that and weddle would have been pretty high in this group given they were pretty much nailed on to pick him where we did.

The 4P has said that Weddle was close to ten on our big board. So, in a way, you can forget about the actual numbers attached to the picks because we traded up not for the 14th pick (after academy/FS) but we traded for value that we saw at around the 10th pick. Because there was a noted drop off after pick 18, the pick 27 we were holding was pretty much in no man's land. We could possibly have picked someone there who would easily be available at 36 (given the aforementioned evenness)... So basically the was i see this trade is using a F2 (which has high value), a low value pick 27 and a F3 to buy a talent we put around pick 10.... If someone said you can have pick 10 for 27, F37-41 AND F19-23.... You do that deal all day.

TLDR - it's about the value of the player relative to your big board and the opportunity cost of other picks relative to your big board (and not the numerical values)...
may I ask did swans elite 7 include cam Mckenzie ??? or did they view him the next 10 ?

may I ask did swans elite 7 include cam Mckenzie ??? or did they view him the next 10 ?
No idea tbh. I assume it was the top six that were picked and one of Clark, Mackenzie, phillipou and ginbey. Rumour was they were high on Humphrey and they went hard for pick 4 along with Melbourne.

No idea tbh. I assume it was the top six that were picked and one of Clark, Mackenzie, phillipou and ginbey. Rumour was they were high on Humphrey and they went hard for pick 4 along with Melbourne.
this is my slight concern/pondering ....if we got a top liner at pick 7 in the eyes of most clubs rather than of the next tier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is my slight concern/pondering ....if we got a top liner at pick 7 in the eyes of most clubs rather than of the next tier
It depends on how many we rated. We might have had a top 5 and an even group after that or a top 9 and a flatter group after that....

Sydney had it tier 1 with 7 and tier 2 with 10 but who knows how the other clubs cut it up.

T4P said that Weddle was close to 10 for us.... So I think it makes sense for us to pay the price we did.

Looking at the last few pickups...

Meek - 204cm ruckman
Stephens - 188cm midfielder
MacKenzie - 187cm midfielder
Weddle - 192cm utility?

Mitchell is building the land of the giants!

#strappingyounglad's 2022 Draft nightmare

In all seriousness, it's a problem (along with breakaway speed) we needed to address with more than just Nash running through the middle, or experiments with Sic and the like.

Don’t be surprised to see Sicily play more midfield next season, we didn’t play him there late in the season for no reason.

I doubt that he showed enough to warrant taking him from the Key defensive post in that one game last year. It's early doors if they are going to try it, but he didn't show a lot there even in a fairly soft game.

I don't care about what we paid in picks to get him.
The price vs debate won't be apparent for some time and I am happy to back MM on this.

I see a Mundy/Isaac Smith combination in Weddle.
He could float to wherever we need him.
Elite defender. Elite runner. Elite competitor.
Great size already so he could play a lot of games next season.

The price vs debate won't be apparent for some time and I am happy to back MM on this.

Agree 100%.

Just so many traits that we lack in any one player. The Cats have been stockpiling athletes who can run like this.

Plus he can football naturally too, which sets him apart from most guys of a similar ilk.

one thing is for sure, we have moved away from not rating draft picks to rating them highly. we got sicily, poupolo, stratton with picks 40+
we are in a rebuild. this is discussion for another thread. As long as the kid becomes a good player for us, that will what most people will enjoy.

His kicking under pressure is the only thing holding him back from being that type of mid. I shouldn't even say under pressure, just on the move through contact. Put it this way guys, if Ginbey was so good as a back that WA and East Perth couldn't afford to run him as a midfielder he wouldn't even be in contention for the first round. Weddle was such a good defender at his level his teams wouldn't move him out of the backline. He almost single-handedly tanked Harry Lemmey's draft stock. We've done the work on him and reckon he can run it as a mid or a forward, that's why we've picked him.
Excellent post. 👍

Really excited by the utility Weddle will provide.
He's going to get a heap of exposure across all three lines next year and I think has the ability to get games in the seniors as a stop gap in all three lines.

For those whining about the price we paid: we allegedly rated him as the 12th best player in the draft. Rather than viewing that as a pick slide, I'd be thinking of it as a massive trade up- two top 15 picks in a single year is great for our development- when was the last time we had two picks in that range? 2006?

Some added context. We were not the only club on the phone looking to trade up - will just leave that here.

Stoked selection - welcome Josh

Great to see the enthusiasm in the Weddle household

Remove this Banner Ad

Back