Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 18, Josh Weddle - Round 10, Rising Star!

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess you would say he just doesn’t fit the stereotypical footy player. Not that he is standoffish with the others, but might be one who moves differently off field to the large majority at the club.
On field he is an unknown, the big question will be does he have the natural footy brain. The athlete part seems well covered very early in the piece.

IIRC Will Langford was much the same.

I guess you would say he just doesn’t fit the stereotypical footy player. Not that he is standoffish with the others, but might be one who moves differently off field to the large majority at the club.
On field he is an unknown, the big question will be does he have the natural footy brain. The athlete part seems well covered very early in the piece.
We have had a few players in the past who have been somewhat more cerebral than the average AFL player. One who immediately springs to mind is 1961 premiership ruckman John Winneke who had an outstanding career at the bar culminating in his appointment as a judge in the Supreme Court of Victoria. Sadly he died a few years ago.

ahh sheeet he writes poetry, doesn't he?
If he listens to metal and refuses to wear canvas boat shoes and unbuttoned shirts like every other AFL player does, he’s going to be my new favorite player.

If he listens to metal and refuses to wear canvas boat shoes and unbuttoned shirts like every other AFL player does, he’s going to be my new favorite player.
That "in Italy / Greece with a half buttoned up shirt and canvas shoes" combo is a plague isn't it!

The club is thinking Wddle is a bit of a wildcard. They aren’t sure how to place him at the moment. Bit of a different type off field too from the click of young guys.

So, is he more like.....

images (2) (5).jpeg

Or like.....

images (2) (4).jpeg

That "in Italy / Greece with a half buttoned up shirt and canvas shoes" combo is a plague isn't it!
Weddle walks to a different beat...

yhvyI7yEZZFk11cGWivRYkag4BoIbjrXDGbHaN1i0W0.jpg

Almost all footballers attending Melbourne Grammar or similar would have a high ATAR. Pretty sure something like half of all students get above a 90.
They're very selective with their scholarships. Had a mate try to go there (after getting an invite to apply for a footy scholarship). Got through it all, but apparently a grade average of 80% was low and not what they were after

Only blokes into metal at my footy club are a few of us oldies and one just retired. I'm nearly the last one left. Unfortunately I'd be stunned if many AFL boys got down in the pit.

Interesting regarding his footy IQ. We heard after the draft the club viewed him capable of playing wing and midfield.

Wing is arguably the most tactically demanding role in modern AFL. Even Ward who's IQ is a strength spoke of struggling to learn the patterns.

Doesn't make a lot of sense that we moved up to get him as a defender. But that's probably the spot he's most likely to debut in if the footy IQ is a work in progress.

Will be interesting where he plays at Box Hill to start.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is a 'different cat'? I am glad so many have shut that nonsense down. It is why folks like Max Bailey, Bec Goddard and I guess Rob McCartney will ensure all cattedness is appreciated.

Only blokes into metal at my footy club are a few of us oldies and one just retired. I'm nearly the last one left. Unfortunately I'd be stunned if many AFL boys got down in the pit.
Was it last year a video of Jai highlights was posted with Becoming the Bull as the backing track? That was a happy moment.

Funny how Blicavs was considered a bit of a joke of a player for a long time. A Steeple Jumper who didn't belong. Has a good season in a premiership year and now he is someone to follow in their footsteps... Probably warranted - has had a solid career now.

I'm hoping Weddle delivers a bit earlier in his career than Blicavs and makes a name for himself.
Seriously?
Debuted in 2013.
Won their B&F two years later in 2015, did it again in 2018.
All Australian and flag in 2022.

That’s a fair bit better than a bit of a joke turning into a solid player don’t you think?

If Weddle wins a PCM in 2025 he’s going exceptionally well.

Seriously?
Debuted in 2013.
Won their B&F two years later in 2015, did it again in 2018.
All Australian and flag in 2022.

That’s a fair bit better than a bit of a joke turning into a solid player don’t you think?

If Weddle wins a PCM in 2025 he’s going exceptionally well.
Blicavs was always a pretty good defender and 2nd ruckman. He shined when played in those two roles. Scott kept trying to turn him into a wingman and first ruck. Especially as he’d randomly play him on a wing in a big final after being a defender all year.

Probably going to be the moral of the story with Weddle. Find out what position he plays best and leave him there to learn it. Rather than trying to shoehorn him into a role that doesn’t quite suit him.

Was it last year a video of Jai highlights was posted with Becoming the Bull as the backing track? That was a happy moment.
Pretty sure Jai is into the rock/metal scene. Read somewhere his favourite bands are all heavy. Makes sense growing up in the country where it's usually the music of choice.

Pretty sure Jai is into the rock/metal scene. Read somewhere his favourite bands are all heavy. Makes sense growing up in the country where it's usually the music of choice.

Probably a fan of Slayer or Behemoth.

Or maybe just a Power Metal fan..

Getting a bit tired 🥱 with this he’s different type of stuff with Josh ……. it’s bizarre. For me he just seems to be a young man trying to do his best to put his front foot forward. To run and be able to present himself physically the way he does so young is quite amazing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back