Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 19: Ryan Burton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
His final quarter fade-out/skill errors just show that he's going all out during the game and leaving nothing in the tank at the end.

The look Clarko gave him after the game showed just how quickly he's becoming a leader of this club.

A formal leadership role beckons?

2017:
Captain Roughead
VC: Shiels, Smith
Leadership Team: Gunston, Stratton, Gibson, Hodge

2018:
Roughead
Shiels, Smith
Gunston, Stratton, ??

2017:
Captain Roughead

2018:
Roughead
Shiels, Smith
Gunston, Stratton, ??
Not yet. 2020 is probably about the right time to consider it.

2017:
Captain Roughead

2018:
Roughead
Shiels, Smith
Gunston, Stratton, ??

I'd love to see it as I think he has leadership written all over him but I'd rather give him time to mature without the added pressure.

Changed my tune. SPP to pip Burton and break our hearts but to make us smile with memories of Palmer over Rioli.

SPP has tapered off to a much larger degree than Burton. The only player I could see beating Burton is Alex Witherden if he'd played the full season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SPP has tapered off to a much larger degree than Burton. The only player I could see beating Burton is Alex Witherden if he'd played the full season.

SPP had a shocker this week but he's been consistent enough to win and now Burton is playing a more defensive role SPP's brute force and goal kicking will hold him in good stead.

2017:
Captain Roughead

2018:
Roughead
Shiels, Smith
Gunston, Stratton, ??
2018:
Roughead
Shiels, Smith
Gunston, Stratton, Rioli, McEvoy

SPP had a shocker this week but he's been consistent enough to win and now Burton is playing a more defensive role SPP's brute force and goal kicking will hold him in good stead.
SPP has been far from consistent. Unless you meant he's been consistently inconsistent?

Burton's played one, maybe two 'poor' games all year. Even then they were in games where we were smashed, and he was still among the top half dozen players for us.

Witherden is the Burton of the 2016 draft. I'd love him at the Hawks. Both Broken Legs. Both guns in the back half.

Witherden is the Burton of the 2016 draft. I'd love him at the Hawks. Both Broken Legs. Both guns in the back half.
Witherden will still be eligible for the Rising Star next year I think. We should trade for him and then we might have two successive Rising Star winners. #noqualityyouth

Witherden will still be eligible for the Rising Star next year I think. We should trade for him and then we might have two successive Rising Star winners. #noqualityyouth

Imagine Witherden and Burton in the same team. Having one at CHB and one at CHF.

I think I creamed my self.

There is a huge difference between Burton holding down a key defensive spot for a whole year, as opposed to these other guys floating around off the flanks as the 7th mid racking up junk.

Completely agree. Cannot believe the media has not made more mention of this.

McGrath just seems to be given a floating role half the time across half back and when he does man up, as youd expect, often gets beaten.

2017:
Captain Roughead

2018:
Roughead
Shiels, Smith
Gunston, Stratton, ??

Tom for sure. He never once dropped his shoulders early in the season when we were crap. In all those games we could easily have lost by an extra 5 or 6 goals.

Maybe even Big Boy if he wants it. Much like Tom, he gave 100% every single game when it was clear that a number of players were really down.

Burton is too young. So if not Big Boy and Tom, then just Tom. Dont think you have to have 7 people in leadership positions.

He led the Hawks for "sprint efforts" (ie. player ran at their top speed for a piece of play. eg. Chase down, leading to space, etc.).

17 sprint efforts. Most for the Hawks and only 2 off the leader (Buddy).

Interesting stat Cryptor.

Where could one find those sort of stats?
Thanks.

Interesting stat Cryptor.

Where could one find those sort of stats?
Thanks.
if you have the afl live pass on mobile you get the premium stats in the mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back