Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty confident that Lovell, Hardwick and Burton will play 0 games between them in 2016.

As to whether they have successful careers well that one is up in the air. I will say that Litherland will play 6 games this season.

You must want Dasher to suffer:eek:

Did you like his game against Sydney at the MCG in 2014? I thought he did a few good things that night. It's only one game but I left feeling pretty happy with him

He was signed the next week too

He was also dropped though:confused:

Beaumont kick 8 in a half didn;t he? I don't get excited about average players half.

Nick Ries was a better player than Gus Litherland.

Pretty confident that Lovell, Hardwick and Burton will play 0 games between them in 2016.

As to whether they have successful careers well that one is up in the air. I will say that Litherland will play 6 games this season.

Haha, 0? I don't see Burton getting a game, but 0 for Hardwick/Lovell?

How many players played last year? Losing 3.5 regulars, and needing to replace them with players that we haven't traded in (and therefore less reliable as best 22) I'd say more players then last year will play.

Not to mention the clubs been talking about playing youth at every opportunity.

I just don't see it.

If they are getting half a dozen games each we either have a lot of injuries or they have gone past JOR, Howe, Sicily, Whitecross, Langford, Hartung...

Very promising but I think it will be 12 months time before they area ear-marked for that number of games.

Clarko said he sees 8 - 10 guys ready to get games from the fringe and I saw that as Hartung, Langers, Litherland, Brand, Sicily, O'Brien, Howe, JOR, Heatherley...

I put these two at the next level with Miles, Pittonet, Burton...

If Ceglar come straight in, 3 of your 9 will have to be in the best 22,
And probably only one will be Brand, Heatherly or Litherland..

So 2 of Hartung, Langer, Sicilly, O'brien, Howe, JOR to play every week.

None are small forwards (Hardwick)

Do you expect our best 22 to play every week?

Huge ask, never ever been done before!

Nick Ries was a better player than Gus Litherland.

Name one game that Nick Ries won for us.

Gus's game against GWS in 2014 was very good. His tackle on Cameron arguably won us the game. I can't recall Ries ever playing an influential role as a comparison.

Yeah, it is only one game, but it is one game played at a higher level thank good ol' Nick.

Gus's game against GWS in 2014 was very good. His tackle on Cameron arguably won us the game. I can't recall Ries ever playing an influential role as a comparison.

Yeah, it is only one game, but it is one game played at a higher level thank good ol' Nick.

I would have thought his 30 disposals and 2 goals against the Roos in 2002 was a handy effort. That's probably 35 - 40 touches in today's game, no? His 27 touches, one goal and seven clearances against the Tigers in the same year was also top notch. All as a 19 year old. Think that is more impressive than Gus's 19 touches and memorable tackle against the Great West Sydney Kids, but that's just my opinion.

That tackle was important but not being in a position for one play to make a difference doesn't make you a worse player than someone who stuck a tackle one time. I think what stands out about that game is he was one of the few who looked like he had some energy that day.

Gus has cost more goals than he has saved or created at this point in his career which is not where we need him to be as a player.

Gus has to wiping boy number 1 now. I forgot this thread was about Lovell
I don't think Gus will play enough this year to be the whipping boy

Hope Lovell gets another run against North

I would have thought his 30 disposals and 2 goals against the Roos in 2002 was a handy effort. That's probably 35 - 40 touches in today's game, no? His 27 touches, one goal and seven clearances against the Tigers in the same year was also top notch. All as a 19 year old. Think that is more impressive than Gus's 19 touches and memorable tackle against the Great West Sydney Kids, but that's just my opinion.
And you're absolutely right. He was good in that game, as he was in that season, for a second year player making his AFL debut.

But to counter that, I remember him wandering around Football Park as we were being massacred on two separate occasions by Port Adelaide, being utterly outclassed.

I remember Litherland, with help from Stratton, taking Betts to the cleaners in 2014.

You're right, it's just your opinion. Everybody's perceptions are different.

Good reply and I appreciate it moginie.

I just thinks Gus has been in the system Long enough and unless something materially changes its time to give Howe, Kiwi and Miles a go.

Hope Gus makes it but in our game plan I don't see it.

Waiting for egg on face.

Halfway through last season I thought I was seeing his development and presence around the contest at box hill going quite well, but the same questions remain regarding his decision making with his disposals. Having only briefly seen him in 2 pre season games I'm surprised that so many here are ready to jump off him, although I have to agree he hasn't done himself any favours in those games. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I'm going with my natural assumption of backing our systems and that he has also put in a good preseason and will be a better player over this coming season.

yeah everyone has cooled on this bloke.. from memory didnt he towel up a couple of really good small forwards in his stint for us the last couple of years? betts from memory?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah everyone has cooled on this bloke.. from memory didnt he towel up a couple of really good small forwards in his stint for us the last couple of years? betts from memory?
He tag teamed Betts with Stratton a couple of years ago but Stratts has shown he doesn't need help to smash Eddie.

Maybe Gus is one who needs a block of games in seniors to take the next step in his development, the issue for him is if others have gone past him at box hill he may struggle to get that opportunity.

His best chance may be in a different role

He tag teamed Betts with Stratton a couple of years ago but Stratts has shown he doesn't need help to smash Eddie.

Maybe Gus is one who needs a block of games in seniors to take the next step in his development, the issue for him is if others have gone past him at box hill he may struggle to get that opportunity.

His best chance may be in a different role
Or with a different club. It appears (to me as an outsider) that his lack of selection is because of what he can't/doesn't do. I'd guess that there are 2-3 Melbourne clubs out there who would greatly appreciate what he can do.

He played well on Betts a couple of year back. I wonder how he'd go as a lock-down on Thomas/Jedi from North, Fasolo/Elliott from Collingwood etc. His best bet may well be convincing a Saints/Melbourne outfit that he has 100 senior games in him @ $150k-$200k per year.

I'd love to see him tackle at least one person every game he played like he tackled Cotchin! Instant cult following!
Jed got that from his first tackle against Geelong, you might be onto something there

People are saying he is our Mitch replacement - better stop kicking bags then
Mitchell's disposal is far better now then when he was running around in the VFL for us back in the early 2000's. Lovell could reach Mitchell's disposal quality if he's willing to work on it as hard as Mitchell did on his. Then he'll have that and the speed and the goal kicking feathers in his cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back