Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO a great opportunity lost to upgrade Cousins for 4 or 5 weeks.

Could have a similar impact or greater then Stewart last year.

What is there too lose?
They might be deciding on whether to upgrade Fitz

I feel like if the club was smart enough they would have already upgraded Fitz for McEvoy and made up some bullshit injury to McEvoy to get him on the LTIL.

FWIW im in the McEvoy is useless camp.
Problem with that is Fitz gets hurt and we have Pitts and TV for 8 weeks for seniors and nobody for box hill

Does anyone know how upgrades affect the salary cap? Rookies still get paid significantly less yeah? I imagine upgrading a player means you pay them more than their rookie salary?

Does anyone know how upgrades affect the salary cap? Rookies still get paid significantly less yeah? I imagine upgrading a player means you pay them more than their rookie salary?
If we had the money to pay Sam and Taz and still have room for Jaeger and Tom I'm sure we have enough cap to fit in a rookie upgrade. Might have more to do with playing with a reduced cap this year so as we can pay over the cap next year.

In answering your question, upgrading a rookie would see his pay structure increase and whilst not having intimate knowledge of the teams salary cap structure, my above theory remains pure speculation.

Don't have the old CBA with me but it used to be something like
50% of match payments and their salary while elevated counted from memory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like if the club was smart enough they would have already upgraded Fitz for McEvoy and made up some bullshit injury to McEvoy to get him on the LTIL.

FWIW im in the McEvoy is useless camp.

Hindsight is a lovely thing, geez McEvoy is useless :rolleyes:

Also; is there an update with Lovell's condition? Seems pretty serious.

You see this is the perfect example of the reverse mozz.

He has been unbelievable the last 6 weeks.

I remember saying the exact thing when Schoenmakers was named in the 2015 GF squad.

Weirdly enough I am way more disappointed that he and JOR are injured than the delay with JOM. Mainly because I expected some delays with JOM. The rise of Hardwick and Burton make that draft an absolute hit and Lovell would have made the draft go platinum. Also - we desperately need something new in the middle. So yeah I'm hanging for Lovell. Kicks both sides - tough little bloke who doesn't take s**t. Reminds me of someone ....:(

Weirdly enough I am way more disappointed that he and JOR are injured than the delay with JOM. Mainly because I expected some delays with JOM. The rise of Hardwick and Burton make that draft an absolute hit and Lovell would have made the draft go platinum. Also - we desperately need something new in the middle. So yeah I'm hanging for Lovell. Kicks both sides - tough little bloke who doesn't take s**t. Reminds me of someone ....:(
Out of the two, the one I feel most disappointed for is JOR. Hasn't had a decent run with injuries. As we gave up a first round draft pick for him, has come under a lot of scrutiny because of it, mistakes get called out and highlighted, while the good things he has done barely gets mentioned. Still hoping that he does a Hodge and prove the doubters wrong! Lovell on the other hand while still green, is allowed the freedom to fly under the radar a bit more, a bit like Sam in his formative years. Think they both have a lot to offer when healthy.

Out of the two, the one I feel most disappointed for is JOR. Hasn't had a decent run with injuries. As we gave up a first round draft pick for him, has come under a lot of scrutiny because of it, mistakes get called out and highlighted, while the good things he has done barely gets mentioned. Still hoping that he does a Hodge and prove the doubters wrong! Lovell on the other hand while still green, is allowed the freedom to fly under the radar a bit more, a bit like Sam in his formative years. Think they both have a lot to offer when healthy.
That is a weird bit of psychology. We gave up first round picks for both players yet one gets time while the other gets hammered even though he has had a lot of injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back