Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Very surprised...

Kieran Lovell (TAS – MID)
Height: 174cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 16/05/1997
Recruited from: Kingston Tigers
Reminds me of: Cory Gregson
Brief bio: Lovell is a high production, extremely athletic small midfielder with rare agility and excellent pace and endurance. Lovell will regularly burst out of traffic and run around guys easily as if they’re stationary and look to take on the game with his pace. Lovell finds high disposal numbers through the midfield and has a nice balance between contested and uncontested ball winning numbers, with his contested ball winning numbers particularly excellent, with his strong body for his age helping with this. Lovell as a ball user is generally clean but has also at times shown that he can shank some balls by foot for some awful turnovers. From a versatility standpoint I am not convinced that Lovell while he could play forward, would necessarily be as effective as he is through the midfield, as he doesn’t quite for me have that front half talent where he could offer heavy scoreboard impact or provide any particularly meaningful offense. Additionally from a tackling and pressuring standpoint while it’s something Lovell can do, it is not something he does as well as other smalls with his quickness.

$_57.JPG

Rare that players that small make it, but in Wrighty we trust.

Agility
Kieran Lovell - 7.90 seconds
Alex Morgan - 8.07
Clayton Oliver - 8.11
Aidyn Johnson - 8.15
Tom Doedee - 8.19
Jesse Glass-McCasker - 8.22
Oleg Markov - 8.23
Will Snelling - 8.24
Darcy MacPherson - 8.24
Ben Crocker - 8.25

Shuttle run (beep test level)
Joshua Schoenfeld -16.2 level
Mitchell Hibberd - 15.4
Darcy Tucker - 15.3
Declan Mountford -15.2
Jacob Weitering - 15.1
Matthew Kennedy - 14.12
Kieran Lovell - 14.10
Will Snelling - 14.10
Tom Cole - 14.10
Oleg Markov - 14.8
Darcy MacPherson - 14.8

Goalkicking test
Jade Gresham - 30 (out of a possible 30)
Nick O'Kearney - 30
Oleg Markov - 30
Clayton Oliver - 30
Kieran Lovell - 25
Tyrone Leonardis - 25
Matthew Kennedy - 25
Mitchell Hibberd - 25
Liam Jeffs - 25
Eric Hipwood - 25
Matthew Allen - 25
Nick Coughlan - 25
Mitch King - 25

This pick has really surprised me. Knew he was a prolific ball winner but being short thought he would have been maybe around our next pick.
Good luck son.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kieran lovell - he's name is at the top of the thread you clicked to enter..

"Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Keiran Lovell"
Oh ok, I didn't understand how this forum works.

Still no idea who he is. Can you give me your analysis on him?

Kieran Lovell of Tasmania is a natural ball winner, despite his small frame
  • July 01, 2015 11:23AM
257463-9703d4f8-1f8c-11e5-9bcb-f95a534f046c.jpg

Tasmania’s Kieran Lovell says his height is no issue. Source: Quinn Rooney / Getty Images

STANDING at just 174cm, Tasmania’s Kieran Lovell understands the reservations that recruiters may have when November’s national draft arrives.

In an era where tall midfielders like Nat Fyfe, Scott Pendlebury and Josh Kennedy are becoming coveted, Lovell acknowledges that every aspect of his game must be flawless to clear those doubts.

But, in the midst of an ultra-consistent season, Lovell has already gone some distance to proving his AFL credentials. He’s letting his numbers do the talking.

Averaging 32.5 disposals per game from four TAC Cup matches this year, Lovell began his national championships campaign with 42 touches in a thrilling Division 2 victory over NSW/ACT.

He racked up another 29 disposals in Tasmania’s heavy defeat to Queensland last week and is averaging 8.3 clearances and 5.5 tackles per game, with his ability to kick off both feet impressing Tasmania’s coaches.

“I’m using it (his size) as a positive,” Lovell tells Fox Footy. “It certainly gives me different attributes; it makes me quick and agile.

“It can be a bit of a disadvantage. I’ve got to tick all the boxes if I’m a chance to get picked up in November, which makes it a bit hard, but I’m using it as a positive.”

257874-9d34276a-1f8c-11e5-9bcb-f95a534f046c.jpg

Despite Lovell’s elite ability to find the footy, it’s his willingness to learn, adapt and develop that may still prove his greatest asset to recruiters.

It’s certainly a personality trait that his coach at Tasmania, Adam Sanders, has been impressed by throughout the course of the year.

“When you’re that size, you just have to make sure you’ve got no gaps in your game,” Sanders tells Fox Footy.

“I’m sure he’d love to be another 10cm taller, but he’s got a strong body. If you’re that size, you’ve got to be very good in a lot of areas and his speed and agility is great, his endurance is good.

“People will look at his size and say that he’s too small, but you should overlook that, because he can genuinely play the game.”

Pinpointing senior footballers of similar build to learn from is difficult for someone of Lovell’s size. And while North Melbourne champion Brent Harvey is an obvious role model, it’s Fremantle’s Lachie Neale who the 18-year-old has learnt the most from.

“He’s a smaller sort of inside mid, which I can be,” Lovell says.

“I try and watch all of the tricks that players like Neale, Harvey and Sam Mitchell have. They’ve got a lot of tricks and skills that they can use to win the ball and use the ball.

“I try and learn off every game I watch.”

257957-a90be834-1f8c-11e5-9bcb-f95a534f046c.jpg

Another chance Lovell is bound to take in front of recruiters will come at the draft combine in October.

When last tested, the Tasmanian ran 14.9 in the beep test and recorded times of 2.99 seconds in the 20m sprint and 7.98 seconds in the agility test — elite for his age group.

“Even though he’s small in stature, he’s a very good all-round athlete; terrific speed and agility but he’s also got good endurance,” Sanders says. “He’s got a good power base, so his vertical jump measures up pretty well as well. He’s got some nice attributes.”

Of course, those attributes all contribute to his innate ability to find and win the ball so often.

“His ability to win the ball in different situations is very good,” Sanders continues.

“As a junior, he was a bit more of an outside player — a short, stocky-type player and he was able to read the ball very well.

“We’ve been working on his game to get a bit more balance between winning the contested ball, but also being able to use his speed, ability and endurance on the outside.”

A Richmond supporter as a boy, some may say it could written in the stars for Lovell to now join the likes of Matthew Richardson and Jack Riewoldt as Tasmania’s favourite Tigers.

“I think that would be good,” he says with a smile. “(Moving interstate) would be a good opportunity and I would be rapt to be picked up anywhere. It would be awesome.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...-his-small-frame/story-e6frf3e3-1227423259642

Forgive me for being so slow (have had a lot on the past two weeks) but what happened to the Hawks pick 15? And how did Richmond end up with it and what did we get in return?

Oh and welcome to the family club Kieren, we look forward to cheering your name

Oh ok, I didn't understand how this forum works.

Still no idea who he is. Can you give me your analysis on him?
Sorry mate couldn't help myself - he's pure footballer - midfielder/ball magnet from Tassie. Accumulates huge numbers.
Tested pretty well in the combine too.

Admittedly he was expected to be taken later but I dunno I'm stoked about this. Early days of course but I l reckon its a great pick. Definitely wouldn't have been there for our next pick.

Forgive me for being so slow (have had a lot on the past two weeks) but what happened to the Hawks pick 15? And how did Richmond end up with it and what did we get in return?

Oh and welcome to the family club Kieren, we look forward to cheering your name
It's the academy bidding system.
Melbourne bid on a swans academy player at 3, swans match and take him, everyone moves down one and Hawks are now at 16, happened more than once is all

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back