Welcome to Hawthorn Pick 22: Kieran Lovell

OnceKicked50

Cancelled
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was chatting to a player directly who played with Lovell at Tassie prior to the draft. He was pretty confident the Hawks were going to pick him up at pick 22 and they had flown down to watch, meet, with him on a number of occasions.

He said he was surprised when his name wasn't read out at 22, but was even more surprised when Lovell's was. He didn't seem to think he was that good a player and noted not many recruiters had met with him during his draft year.

This being said, this player is languishing in the VFL and is every chance to be delisted at seasons end also.

I was chatting to a player directly who played with Lovell at Tassie prior to the draft. He was pretty confident the Hawks were going to pick him up at pick 22 and they had flown down to watch, meet, with him on a number of occasions.

He said he was surprised when his name wasn't read out at 22, but was even more surprised when Lovell's was. He didn't seem to think he was that good a player and noted not many recruiters had met with him during his draft year.

This being said, this player is languishing in the VFL and is every chance to be delisted at seasons end also.

Considering there were only two decent prospects out of Tasmania that year I wonder who it could have been hmmmmm.

Considering there were only two decent prospects out of Tasmania that year I wonder who it could have been hmmmmm.
To help everyone out - the player's name is Mitchell Hibberd.

It is fun to spoil things :cool::cool::cool:

RIOLINWITPUNCHS

Big Footy Member
Sep 30, 2009
Back Of My Kombi
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For those wanting Lovell's inclusion - whose spot does he take?

It's a good question and based on last weeks team probably no one.

However considering guys like Cousins Langers Worpel Whitex etc have been given games this year most people would suggest him and O'Rourke should also be getting games.

It really is mystifying.

I think both Lovell and O'Rourke - after barely playing last year - needed to show some continuity at VFL before they regained the confidence of the match committee. It still isn't even halfway through the season yet so plenty of time.

Cousins despite missing the second of last year had played 3 AFL games immediately before that. Lovell or JOR hardly played even VFL last year. Worpel's a different sort of player (big bodied, can play forward) so easier to slot into AFL than the type of footy we'd need for Kieran or JOR to contribute at senior level.

It's a good question and based on last weeks team probably no one.

However considering guys like Cousins Langers Worpel Whitex etc have been given games this year most people would suggest him and O'Rourke should also be getting games.

It really is mystifying.

Langford I would grant you. However Cousins' VFL form was above the level of JOR and Lovell this year so it makes sense why he was put in. Worpel was brought in due to injuries to pressure small forwards rather than inside midfielders. Whitecross was also playing a different position to what I would expect Lovell to be.

I don't have a knock on Lovell and I want him to succeed like any Hawks fan does - I just don't see why or where he should come into the side based on what has transpired in 2018.

Hawks81

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Is his name Mitchell ?

One of Lewis or Ceglar. I'd take out one of those talls for some extra mid depth, then just leave Gunston in forward 50.

Not the worst idea - but I would want Schoey coming in also if we were sacrificing a tall. Need someone to get the ball to ground for our crumbing fleet.

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Hibberd has had a lot of injuries. I wanted him or bonner at our second pick. Still think he would be worth taking, especially if he were delisted.

Not the worst idea - but I would want Schoey coming in also if we were sacrificing a tall. Need someone to get the ball to ground for our crumbing fleet.
I don't think Schoey will get another game this year.
I don't think Schoey will be on the list next year.

Aug 13, 2006
Thailand
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks.
Like to see Lovell in the seniors regardless of his form at VFL level. Hopefully he gets opportunities in the second half of the year.

Could well be a player who will perform better at senior level with Jag and Mitch to show him how. Would like to see where he is at sooner rather than later.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
For those wanting Lovell's inclusion - whose spot does he take?

Based on this week, Timmy O. Am sure Lovell can get 10 touches, take 2 marks, get 0 hit outs and not trouble the scorer.

indianhawks

Senior List
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Indian Cricket Team
Bumping the thread
What's going on with this guy?
I thought he had good potential

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I remember back in 2016 he was bursting out of his skin at BH. The regular VFL watchers could give more insight, but given he's not accumulating the football as much as his first year, I would suggest they're trying him out as a mid/forward. I recall he has a very penetrating kick. I don't really understand where he's at though.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Lovell is not a bad user of the footy when he has some space. Aside from that, he should not be on an AFL list. Am surprised he even made rep teams in Tassie. Would love to hear the justification of why we selected him.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lovell is not a bad user of the footy when he has some space. Aside from that, he should not be on an AFL list. Am surprised he even made rep teams in Tassie. Would love to hear the justification of why we selected him.
Did you get a good look at him as a junior?

I thought he looked pretty good in the games he actually played for Hawks. 1st was a write-off when we got smashed by the Giants, 2nd was a pretty good game against the Tigers where he actually had 18 touches and 6 inside 50s. He got dropped the next week which I assumed was our standard '2 games is enough' thing.

He's been injured, which has no doubt set him back, but I think also heard there was a question mark about off-field behaviour and maturity. Can't remember any details, anyone got some information?

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Did you get a good look at him as a junior?

I thought he looked pretty good in the games he actually played for Hawks. 1st was a write-off when we got smashed by the Giants, 2nd was a pretty good game against the Tigers where he actually had 18 touches and 6 inside 50s. He got dropped the next week which I assumed was our standard '2 games is enough' thing.

He's been injured, which has no doubt set him back, but I think also heard there was a question mark about off-field behaviour and maturity. Can't remember any details, anyone got some information?

Yeah I have heard the rumours that he simply doesn't train/ prepare himself as well as you should on an AFL list.

Seems to be a bit reactive. At ball ups often plays very tight to his opponent and trys to keep them grounded instead of hurting the footy. Also isnt spreading from the contest as well as he was late last year.

I dont know if this is because he has been directed to play tighter and more defensive while in the center.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Back