Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Slainte

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Very happy with what I have seen from Butler. This sort of player is far harder to find than a mid like Sonsie.

He finds the front position and can already hold it with the incoming ball. That's a gift that only the really good have.

Plus he has speed to burn.

Yeah, I’ve seen enough to know he’s got some weapons.

Worth remember that he barely had a preseason, unlike Wardy and Macca.
Clearly the club sees it the same way.

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He had me at hello - elite speed, skilful and a really well balanced player who can play forward and potentially run through the midfield. If that wasn’t enough also has a fair bit of mongrel about him as our new captain found out in the intra club
Having the other butler to lean on I reckon has really helped him come in grounded and prepared for the hard work ahead.

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
He had me at hello - elite speed, skilful and a really well balanced player who can play forward and potentially run through the midfield. If that wasn’t enough also has a fair bit of mongrel about him as our new captain found out in the intra club
Hopefully he has bit of Campbell Brown intensity about him too. We’ve missed a little bit of that for a while now.

I've not seen elite speed as yet, but believed it to be a trait when drafted.

Hoping to see him burn off some opponents this season!

Jan 17, 2008
Brisvegas
AFL Club
Hawthorn

To be honest, I didn’t even see elite speed in his highlight videos predraft!

He always looked fatigued last year despite playing limited minutes. I’m hoping we see more of his skills and pace this year on the back of a good preseason.

Jun 28, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
how big are his hands?
1677101669946.gif

To be honest, I didn’t even see elite speed in his highlight videos predraft!

He always looked fatigued last year despite playing limited minutes. I’m hoping we see more of his skills and pace this year on the back of a good preseason.
He has good speed and has really worked on his endurance. We will see some of that speed for sure in season

Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hopefully he has bit of Campbell Brown intensity about him too. We’ve missed a little bit of that for a while now.

This - I think this is what has me most excited about butler. Not necessarily the forward craft he naturally has, but you can tell he tackles and hunts angry/ to hurt. Expect him to miss a few games for dump tackles over his career

smish

Club Legend
May 7, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
This - I think this is what has me most excited about butler. Not necessarily the forward craft he naturally has, but you can tell he tackles and hunts angry/ to hurt. Expect him to miss a few games for dump tackles over his career
Does anyone remember his tackle when we played St Kilda at docklands last year? He's an animal.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Don't know about straight line speed, but he certainly has top-level agility.

2.93 time for his combine 20m sprint. Not quite elite, but definitely quick for AFL level.

Sam Butler (2 goals, 17 disposals, 4 tackles)

"Sammy was very good. During my time at the club - this is only my fourth game at the club, but if you include all the match simulation too - this was the best game I've seen him play. He was really impressive. If I'm honest, he started the game a little slow, but he worked his way into the game really nicely. He had four shots on goal - he kicked 2.2 - laid four tackles and had 17 disposals as a high half-forward and provided a lot of energy and movement. Hopefully that gives him some real confidence for the rest of the year to move forward now and grow his game off the back of that."

Back