Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Pick 46, Jack O'Sullivan

Remove this Banner Ad

His movement, side-step & kicking action remind me of Shane Edwards. Good luck to the young man.

Think the fact he seems to take a grab above his height is a good indicator he might be a forward/mid hybrid type. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see him start as half forward.
I'd like to think of him as a modern day Poppy, who will add value by being able to take productive stints onball when required. He needs to play the terrier role up forward with a strong defensive mindset - that will set him apart from the other forwards.

From the limited footage love his side step and the way he lowers his eyes looking for teammates in a better spot. Nice kick and flies for marks. Most of all like hearing that he’s a tough little dude …….. bring back Ozzie!
Most underrated and undervalued (outside the four walls) player to ever pull on the brown and gold.

On SM-F936B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just watched oakleigh vs sandy round 1 and watched him play in the wet.

I'll say this much, it was pissing down with rain and this bloke didn't fumble once. Clean picks ups and great decision maker. Super super tough for his size also. I really liked his game. Just a pure footballer.
Not sure about his athleticism for a HFF at AFL level but the rest of his game is really good. Tackling was also ferocious.

The following info on Jack O’Sullivan comes from the AFL website.

”Evidence of his potential might have been fleeting this season, given his injuries, but Champion Data still notes O'Sullivan ranked 'above average' for contested possessions (6.8 per game), intercepts (2.6 per game) and score involvements (5.6 per game).”

Jack’s combine results were very impressive.

Standing Vertical Jump
3. Jack O’Sullivan – 71cm
=8. Josh Weddle - 68cm

Running Vertical Jump
=3. Josh Weddle - 90cm
5. Jack O’Sullivan – 89cm

He also recorded sound results for speed (3.02 seconds on the 20m sprint) and endurance (6.32 on the 2km time trial).

My Thoughts:
He may only be 177cm tall but anyone who can jump like he can has power in their legs. And with a D.O.B. of 22/10/04, he is on the younger side with plenty of time to get taller and stronger. He seems a natural footballer with one-touch hands and has an athletic ability seemingly overlooked due to his height (the same height as Lachie Neale), an injury (that will not affect him long-term) and then bad luck (with OC bowing out early) resulting in him not being able to get on the park. The term “hidden gem” comes to mind.

Jack could be a rippa! 🥺 😵
😆

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The following info on Jack O’Sullivan comes from the AFL website.

”Evidence of his potential might have been fleeting this season, given his injuries, but Champion Data still notes O'Sullivan ranked 'above average' for contested possessions (6.8 per game), intercepts (2.6 per game) and score involvements (5.6 per game).”

Jack’s combine results were very impressive.

Standing Vertical Jump
3. Jack O’Sullivan – 71cm
=8. Josh Weddle - 68cm

Running Vertical Jump
=3. Josh Weddle - 90cm
5. Jack O’Sullivan – 89cm

He also recorded sound results for speed (3.02 seconds on the 20m sprint) and endurance (6.32 on the 2km time trial).

My Thoughts:
He may only be 177cm tall but anyone who can jump like he can has power in their legs. And with a D.O.B. of 22/10/04, he is on the younger side with plenty of time to get taller and stronger. He seems a natural footballer with athletic ability seemingly overlooked due to his height (the same height as Lachie Neale) and an injury (that will not affect him long-term) followed by bad luck (with OC bowing out early) resulting in him not being able to get on the park. The term “hidden gem” comes to mind.

Jack could be a rippa! 🥺 😵
😆
Exactly the type you want to take late.
Early draft picks require attributes + form.
Late picks lean much more heavily on attributes and so long as factors which prevented form can be overcome
e.g. injuries unlikely to hinder in the L/T but interrupted season, late to start playing the game, late-stage growth spurt or any other factor suggesting unrealised potential like position switch potential etc

His movement, athleticism and balance, together with aggression, is a delight to watch in highlights.

I wonder where he would have been rated had he played out the whole season?
Early 2022 phantom drafts had him around pick 20.
Exactly the type you want to take late.
Early draft picks require attributes + form.
Late picks lean much more heavily on attributes and so long as factors which prevented form can be overcome
e.g. injuries unlikely to hinder in the L/T but interrupted season, late to start playing the game, late-stage growth spurt or any other factor suggesting unrealised potential like position switch potential etc

His movement, athleticism and balance, together with aggression, is a delight to watch in highlights.
He did everything right in the Dragons vs Charges R1 game. One-touch pickups in the wet, non-juggle marks, handballs to advantage, hit his targets by foot and tackled well. Further, I don’t think he made a single error of judgement.
I would not be surprised if he plays games for Hawthorn early next year.

Last edited:
I watched O'Sullivan on the track. I have to say his positioning and footwork and balance at stoppages to get low and go hard to win the ball to dish it off are first rate compared to some of the other draftees I am an admirer. He has real skills by hand and foot and makes time for himself to deliver the ball effectively.

I watched O'Sullivan on the track. I have to say his positioning and footwork and balance at stoppages to get low and go hard to win the ball to dish it off are first rate compared to some of the other draftees I am an admirer. He has real skills by hand and foot and makes time for himself to deliver the ball effectively.
He seems to have been categorised as a small forward but his profile reads more like a stoppage mid with some forward nous. I know it is early but where do you see him playing?

Thanks for the insights.

‘First rate compared to some of the other draftees’ - what issues are you seeing with the others?

He seems to have been categorised as a small forward but his profile reads more like a stoppage mid with some forward nous. I know it is early but where do you see him playing?
He will play around goal. Looked to have good goal sense when they were doing stoppage work in the forward line with the ruckman. He might suprise a few with his development

Thanks for the insights.

‘First rate compared to some of the other draftees’ - what issues are you seeing with the others?

That's what I want to know. What's wrong with our babies?
Other players have different strengths it's not a knock on them just the kid has something lets see what happens over the rest of the pre season

Dylan Moore was the same in his draft year. We played him forward but he was always more of a stoppage midfielder despite his height.

O'Sullivan will probably follow that same path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back