Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Pick 51, 2022: Bailey MacDonald - a Hawk until 2026

Bad Boy Beama

Senior List
Oct 9, 2014
On the way to the ground
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Piittsburgh Pirates, Wreham FC
I had a chat with my cousin yesterday. He mentioned that he was down at the family day and was particularly interested in watching Bailey.
My cousin has lunch with Bailey's father very regularly.

This is what he told me re Bailey which I thought you might like to know.

He along with the family are Saints supporters
His parents are from the country, with his dad's dad still running a farm near Balarat
He is good friends with Matthew Jefferson (who the demo s picked up with pick15)
Bailey's dad didn't really believe we were the family club until after Baley was drafted and since they have been invited and have come down and met all the couching staff a number of times plus been out to dinner with Sam Mitchell. Compre this to Matthew Jefferson's family the Dees have not even spoken to them.
Bailey has never done any pre season training re footy as he wasn't even involved with Oakleigh program until half way through the season.
His past summer he played cricket.
This year he started off playing school footy and was invited down Oakleigh when a number of players were missing because of VIC Metro commitments,. He played a couple of games and kept being invited back.
8 club's interviewed him.
Well the rest you know.

burger09

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I had a chat with my cousin yesterday. He mentioned that he was down at the family day and was particularly interested in watching Bailey.

His parents are from the country, with his dad's dad still running a farm near Balarat
He is good friends with Matthew Jefferson (who the demo s picked up with pick15)
Bailey's dad didn't really believe we were the family club until after Baley was drafted and since they have been invited and have come down and met all the couching staff a number of times plus been out to dinner with Sam Mitchell. Compre this to Matthew Jefferson's family the Dees have not even spoken to them.
Bailey has never done any pre season training re footy as he wasn't even involved with Oakleigh program until half way through the season.
This year he started off playing school footy and was invited down Oakleigh when a number of players were missing because of VIC Metro commitments,. He played a couple of games and kept being invited back.
Well the rest you know.
Great stuff.

Given he's come on quickly from a fair way back his trajectory is steep and cieling unknown.

Well the rest you know.

so we have helped him & his family in more than one way as they can now be successful Hawthorn supporters rather than all die without seeing their club win a flag :)

Mar 15, 2009
Scarborough WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
All Blacks Green Bay

Well the rest you know.

Sammy's way is the Hawthorn way.

Bailey Macdonald (9 disposals)

"Bailey was a bit more quieter off half-back, but we saw his weapons which is exciting - his speed, his dash from half-back - we're still seeing that even though he only had the nine disposals. Throughout the game we saw some really good efforts, including one where he went back with the flight - he came off his man, gone back with speed to spoil the ball. We then saw the likes of Denver and Scrim get around him, which is really exciting. Although not big numbers, he still had a really big impact on the game for one of our first-year players."

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
I liked what I saw of him on Monday. He can run and carry all the way to Neptune and back. He made one particular run off half-back and nearly went for goal, but passed it off. He seemed composed with the ball in hand and played well defensively, though Geelong weren’t in possession most of the time and the ball wasn’t sighted often in their forward 50. He will need time to develop, but could make his debut by year’s end. It will be interesting to see if he and Seamus Mitchell can unseat Jarman Impey over the next two years.

To those that have seen him: does he play quick?

All the talk on the first page of this thread was about his pace?

Does he use it in game? How his disposal?

Rowie6

Club Legend
Jan 28, 2007
East Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Ham United,Green Bay Packers.

Pinoy Hawk

All Australian
Aug 21, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn gives his review of each AFL-listed Hawk following his side’s 39-point victory over Southport on Saturday.

Bailey Macdonald (21 disposals, 95 per cent efficiency, 9 marks, 7 score involvements)

“Bailey Macdonald was really exciting. He was one that didn’t let the conditions slow his style of play down. He had seven score involvements for a half-back which is an incredible effort. We should be really excited about what Bailey has shown and has been able to show throughout the year but we understand it’s a long year and he’s got a lot of development to still do. That’s the really exciting thing for Bailey. One thing that’s impressed us as a coaching group about Bailey is his willingness to be bold and not go into his shell even if he makes a mistake. It was really good reward for Bailey.”

Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn gives his review of each AFL-listed Hawk following his side’s 39-point victory over Southport on Saturday.

Bailey Macdonald (21 disposals, 95 per cent efficiency, 9 marks, 7 score involvements)

“Bailey Macdonald was really exciting. He was one that didn’t let the conditions slow his style of play down. He had seven score involvements for a half-back which is an incredible effort. We should be really excited about what Bailey has shown and has been able to show throughout the year but we understand it’s a long year and he’s got a lot of development to still do. That’s the really exciting thing for Bailey. One thing that’s impressed us as a coaching group about Bailey is his willingness to be bold and not go into his shell even if he makes a mistake. It was really good reward for Bailey.”
This is a bloody exciting report.

He could well be a bolter for a later season debut if blokes like Bramble struggle to keep their form. At the start of the year I was really keen to see how good Mitchell and Macdonald were going to look bursting out of defence for Box Hill, looks like they both might be good enough for us to see it in the seniors.

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination

95% efficiency for a player who runs full pelt is incredible. I likened him to Jayden Hunt that actually hits targets from his draft highlights but if he can become a reliable mover of the ball we have a talent with the scope of becoming elite.

Back