Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had forgotten what it's like to watch a midfielder with a brain.

The way he stops and thinks through everything he does before taking action is a pleasure to watch.

As others have said, the shining light on a dark day.

In his first game no less. He’d be feeling the love.

I think, if he continues like this, the rising star could be a very hotly contested award. Sheezel, Ginbey, and Ashcroft may provide thought competition, but none of them are the best player on their team already.

I'm all in, he'll be leading our brownlow votes this season. He's the only player I feel calm when he has the footy, even Sicily and Newk make me sweat when they start running for no reason.

I think, if he continues like this, the rising star could be a very hotly contested award. Sheezel, Ginbey, and Ashcroft may provide thought competition, but none of them are the best player on their team already.

I'm all in, he'll be leading our brownlow votes this season. He's the only player I feel calm when he has the footy, even Sicily and Newk make me sweat when they start running for no reason.
Forget about the rising star.

The AFL’s hand-picked panel members will make sure that if Ashcroft has a more than half decent season that he takes it home. They always look for the top of the top draftees.

I look forward to Frenchy getting his nomination and some love, but for your own sanity, forget about the award.

Forget about the rising star.

The AFL’s hand-picked panel members will make sure that if Ashcroft has a more than half decent season that he takes it home. They always look for the top of the top draftees.

I look forward to Frenchy getting his nomination and some love, but for your own sanity, forget about the award.
I refuse to both be sane and watch this football club.

Lots of comparisons to Mitchell i was thinking they were just due to blonde midfielder in 28 yet he definitely has the little steps that Sam had to find time in a stoppage. Take two steps forward and 1 to the side while defenders take 4 in the other direction.

Plus his kicking is phenomenal.

What makes this more remarkable when you compare to Mitchell is the comparison is to a prime Mitchell in 2012 and Cam has the skills and decision making, plus more height, speed, kicking penetration. Lacks the all day tank and ability to rack up 30 touches while tagged but I'd say he's above the 2002 Mitchell who was a fat kid who bombed it out of every clearance.

If he continues in this vein - he might pick up a PCM in his first year. Kind of unheard of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plays at the same level he did in the underage comp, you've got to love the guys we have who are able to do this. First Newcombe, now French. Just has that next level football brain and the size and speed to capitalize on it like no other player we've had. Big call and the sample size is one game... but he's looking like a bigger Crawford Mitchell hybrid with better touch/skills than either had at this stage of their careers. Super excited with his game, and super excited that we got exactly what was required from last year's draft!

Lots of comparisons to Mitchell i was thinking they were just due to blonde midfielder in 28 yet he definitely has the little steps that Sam had to find time in a stoppage. Take two steps forward and 1 to the side while defenders take 4 in the other direction.

Plus his kicking is phenomenal.

What makes this more remarkable when you compare to Mitchell is the comparison is to a prime Mitchell in 2012 and Cam has the skills and decision making, plus more height, speed, kicking penetration. Lacks the all day tank and ability to rack up 30 touches while tagged but I'd say he's above the 2002 Mitchell who was a fat kid who bombed it out of every clearance.
Sam Mitchell lead the league in clearances in his rising star year. Can’t imagine that’s ever happened before or again.

His spacial awareness is off the charts, how he manages to spot targets on the outside of the contest is beyond me. I'm big on judging players on how similar they play under age footy to AFL, his style has transitioned seamlessly which bodes well for producing the same quality of output.
Reminds me of a young, right footed, Dal Santo.

His spacial awareness is off the charts, how he manages to spot targets on the outside of the contest is beyond me. I'm big on judging players on how similar they play under age footy to AFL, his style has transitioned seamlessly which bodes well for producing the same quality of output.

He had one play which showed his creativity and especially his vision and decision making. He was under lots of pressure and danced around for a split second before handballing to someone 15m away that was not only inboard, but was in the clear.

I don't know how he saw the player in that moment with multiple Essendon players on him, and I expect probably all of our other players would have jump bombed it long in the moment.

IMO it was his most impressive play of the game.

Unfortunately this isn't in that highlights package SYL posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back