Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The little placement kicks are fantastic
Good burst from stoppage as well

He looks super explosive when he puts those first steps in at high revs.

Looking at the combine 20m sprint times, I get the feeling that all the breakaway type mids like Mackenzie tanked their times this year.

No Tsatas, Wardlaw, Mackenzie, Phillipou, Ashcroft etc. even in the mid 2.9s (aside from Hotton and Ginbey).

Seems really, really odd imo.

Welcome Cam,

Always love it when we bring mad hawk supporters into the club!

Anyone have his testing data for endurance? I know he was about 2.93 over 20m.

I bet he does run a 20m in that region, but looking at the combine he definitely didn't run it there I don't think?

Sorry. 2.91 at nab league testing day. He wasn't top 10 for the yoyo but weddle was with 21.7

Definitely no need to be sorry, that sounds way more accurate than what came back from the combine (not even mid 2.9s).

His highlights suggest something more along the lines of that number for sure.

Praise Odin - A Midfielder who can KICK

Amen. I was a bit disappointed we didn’t get Phillipou then I saw his kicking highlights and was instantly won over. Having a midfielder who finds a target and doesn’t just bomb it to packs in our forward line will be a very pleasant surprise.

Stoked with this. I remember after he had a couple of standout games later in the season we were concerned he wouldn't get passed GC/ESS.

Something I've been big on in the past is that this is not the type of player to provide flashy home & away highlights (Tsatas, Poo) but has the one touch and class to win you finals - see how Neale almost single handedly got Brisbane over the line in the QF against Richmond.

On a personal note from my very limited watching of interviews etc. from early in the year I thought he had the best character this year. Well rounded and intelligent, the type of person who will draw people to this club.

Really high hopes for this kid, we'll ride the bumps with a grin!

Blond, French speaking, midfielder, lifelong Hawks fan, private school, level head, well spoken, people talk about his kicking, will retire a premiership player and of course, father-son (his dad is Mark) - welcome Will Langford.
Ha, my first thought just looking at him was Will Langford! Looks like the comparisons go even further.

That second kick that he pulls slightly to the forward leading pretty much right at him
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Welcome Cam!

I couldn't have been more thrilled last night when Andrew Dillon announced Cameron Mackenzie's name at our pick. He is the ideal player for where we are in our rebuild and addresses our most significant areas of need in the midfield. He seems to be incredibly intelligent and has the potential to be a leader in the future. I am confident that Cam will be the next great player in our club's successful history. We have a star on our hands if he is even half as successful as his fellow Sandringham Dragon, Jack Gunston. Cam, welcome to the Hawthorn Football Club.

Moves well, clean, good decision maker and user and good character - ticks a lot of boxes on how we want to play.

We’ve really got a growing group of guys who move well through the midfield and kick well - Mackenzie, Ward and McDonald (plus Amon) plus Jai (bangs it long a bit).

Team has some work to do on the inside - which hopefully stephens, nash, Finn etc can help - but the days of our mids scrubbing kicks out of the middle and missing targets seem over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back