Coach Welcome to Hawthorn : Robert Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't blame the bloke for going back to the club he loves.
And the chance to be a part of that clubs' second only flag would have to be a pretty strong pull too.
You can blame him for loving them.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Will he be replaced?
While Sam would be terrific as a mid field coach, I think most of his time would be focused on other areas of coaching.
There are a few highly credentialed recently retired players we could sound out. In no particular order. No idea if they are coaching elsewhere.
Robbie Gray
Dan Hannebery
Josh Kennedy
Marc Murphy
Stephen Hill
Nathan Jones

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
There are a few highly credentialed recently retired players we could sound out. In no particular order. No idea if they are coaching elsewhere.
Robbie Gray
Dan Hannebery
Josh Kennedy
Marc Murphy
Stephen Hill
Nathan Jones

DLHN.gif

Will he be replaced?
While Sam would be terrific as a mid field coach, I think most of his time would be focused on other areas of coaching.
Robbie Gray
Dan Hannebery
Josh Kennedy
Marc Murphy
Stephen Hill
Nathan Jones
Agreed - like being the head coach of the club. That’s his job.

Of course we will bring in a midfield replacement for Harvey. Every club has at least 3 line coaches who report to the senior coach. Some used to have 2 midfield (1 - contest stoppage, 1 - transition), though the soft cap restrictions may have put paid to that.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I reckon it's a tad dick-wadish for Harvs to have put us in this position. I get it, but think it's pretty lame having only just spent a minute with us.
Super late to really get the replacement candidate we would have otherwise chased.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
“How is he highly credentialed”, would be the question.
I would think that his achievements meet that easily and are better the vast majority of players.

2010 Rising Star Award
2012 Premiership
Under 22 team 2012, 2013
All-Australian team 3 times, 2013, 2015, 2016
2015 AFL Coaches Association award
Top 6 Brownlow finish in: 2013-21 votes, 2015-24 votes, 2016-21 votes

Will he be replaced?
Robbie Gray
Dan Hannebery
Josh Kennedy
Marc Murphy
Stephen Hill
Nathan Jones
Robbie Gray back at Port in a development role I think, or potentially list management

I would think that his achievements meet that easily and are better the vast majority of players.

2010 Rising Star Award
2012 Premiership
Under 22 team 2012, 2013

How does any of that translate to him being a good coach?

Gary Ablett Snr has an honours list that is probably triple the size and I wouldn't let him control a Supercoach side he is that deficient a human.

Apparently Sydney officials were genuinely amused when he was placed in St Kilda's leadership team also - so something tells me he's not exactly regarded as a natural leader.

MatteeG

Team Captain
Jul 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Glenelg FC, KC Royals, NO Saints

2010 Rising Star Award
2012 Premiership
Under 22 team 2012, 2013
The fact he cant string a sentence together probably limits his coaching abilities somewhat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2010 Rising Star Award
2012 Premiership
Under 22 team 2012, 2013
None of which are coaching credentials.

Hannebery was also not a noted leader throughout his time in the AFL, he hasn't suggested any desire to coach or made any career moves which would reflect that desire.

For all his time out of the game through injury he never took on any active coaching role at St Kilda or Sydney - the players who are leaning towards coaching invariably do. Sic spent his year and a half out pretty much running the gamut of player development and coaching roles, even players as young as Rowell used time out of the game to do the same. Hannebery, though a good player for a while, never did anything like that.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets

2010 Rising Star Award
2012 Premiership
Under 22 team 2012, 2013

He was a big game player too. No doubt he's highly credentialed as a player, that's undeniable. But can he coach? That's the real question.

IMO he doesn't strike me as the type that would take up coaching. Having said that I obviously don't know him personally so I'm only basing this opinion on his off field behaviours.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
None of which are coaching credentials.

Hannebery was also not a noted leader throughout his time in the AFL, he hasn't suggested any desire to coach or made any career moves which would reflect that desire.

For all his time out of the game through injury he never took on any active coaching role at St Kilda or Sydney - the players who are leaning towards coaching invariably do. Sic spent his year and a half out pretty much running the gamut of player development and coaching roles, even players as young as Rowell used time out of the game to do the same. Hannebery, though a good player for a while, never did anything like that.
Of course playing achievements don't mean you will be a good coach. Just look at Tom Hafey as an example. But if a player hasn't coached before it is a good starting point that at least tells an interested club that they know something about the game.

Your views don't agree with those of Brett Ratten.

Ratten lauded the impact of retiring veteran Dan Hannebery on the young players at the Saints as the injury-plagued 31-year-old confirmed his retirement.

Ratten said the success of Hannebery’s time at St Kilda shouldn’t just be measured in the amount of games he played.

“He didn’t play many games here and people will evaluate it through that and say it wasn’t a success,” the coach said on Thursday.

“But Dan has had a huge success on others off the field, worked closely with some of our younger players and his voice and leadership in meetings.

“He’s had a contribution here, not the way he would have wanted. What we can say he has contributed in different ways. He’s been first class.”

Of course playing achievements don't mean you will be a good coach. Just look at Tom Hafey as an example. But if a player hasn't coached before it is a good starting point that at least tells an interested club that they know something about the game.

Ratten lauded the impact of retiring veteran Dan Hannebery on the young players at the Saints as the injury-plagued 31-year-old confirmed his retirement.

Ratten said the success of Hannebery’s time at St Kilda shouldn’t just be measured in the amount of games he played.

“He didn’t play many games here and people will evaluate it through that and say it wasn’t a success,” the coach said on Thursday.

“But Dan has had a huge success on others off the field, worked closely with some of our younger players and his voice and leadership in meetings.

“He’s had a contribution here, not the way he would have wanted. What we can say he has contributed in different ways. He’s been first class.”
Ratten got sacked on the back of their onfield performances, and most people think their list is pretty ordinary. Hard to see where Hannebury had any sort of impact on development of younger players when none stand out.

Similar things were said about Howe and Phillips prior to their delisting.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Ratten got sacked on the back of their onfield performances, and most people think their list is pretty ordinary. Hard to see where Hannebury had any sort of impact on development of younger players when none stand out.
Sorry SYL but really all you are saying is that you know more about Hannebery at St Kilda than Ratten.

Last edited:

Coach pays tribute to departing player who offered sweet * all on the field for the club - you're right, Hanners is going to be the next Jeans.

Admitting you were wrong/made a bad call is a mature thing to do - I recommend giving it a shot!

Sorry SYL but really all you are saying is that you know more about Hannebery at St Kilda than Ratten.
You are picking a very strange hill to die on.

Where. Give an example.

Hawthorn website published these player reviews on August 31 - both players were delisted the next day.

Tom Phillips 

“It was again a tough year for Tom in the fact that he was playing reasonable footy early, but started in Box Hill. He then forced his way into the senior team, but then he had a shocking injury. He worked really hard away from the four walls here to get himself fit and then he came back and got injured again. I’ve known Tommy for a long time and I thought he got a lot of his strengths back in pre-season and we could see those, it was just really unfortunate luck that he went down with injury but we're looking forward for big things from him next year.”

Daniel Howe

“It was a tough year for Daniel in the sense that he played a lot of Box Hill footy and played at a really high level. He had a pretty consistent year without having a heap of opportunities at AFL level. He was working on a few areas of his game and his attitude all year was really strong. He was a great leader for the midfield group. It was really good to work with Howey – at his age he's looking for those little areas in his game to take him to the next step.

No, I’m shooting holes in the argument that Ratten’s word should be taken as gospel, particularly when it’s well known the amount of s**t thrown at Saints for Hanmebury’s contract and injury struggles. He was never going to be anything but super positive about Hannebury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back