Alite

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2014
Snowtown
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Robert Harvey,
I sort of like this appointment.

By all accounts Harvey is liked by the players and the coaches, and will follow Sam’s vision for the team. He will follow a consistent vision …which is key to Hawthorn’s early success. Hence why he is here.

What I see: Robert Harvey is a poor speaker in the media… though 1 on 1 who would not listen.
He says too many “ums” and “arrs” to be a media head coach= zero threat to Sammy as a head coach.
As an assistant coach: this is where I am guessing Robert Harvey shines.
Positions within a midfield, work ethic to get to the next area, defensive efforts
running capacity and when to not run… all said in a kind voice with a Brownlow medal to back it up.
As a fan,I admired Robert Harvey. Hevey’s hip-shake was Jouna Lomu-like the most…but his disposal was just average.
Harvey, seems to fit the “no dick heads” policy.

All in all, and without knowing Harvey’s role, I see this appointment as one that will help Sam Mitchell feel safe. Ask Teague if safe is important.

edit: what I was trying to say, relatively poorly, was that he seems a 1 on 1 coach with little chance of usurping Sammy in the future.

Last edited:

perrdan86

Senior List
Mar 2, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Lakers - Man Utd - Rams - Yankees
Robert Harvey,

All in all, and without knowing Harvey’s role, I see this appointment as one that will help Sam Mitchell feel safe.

Ask Teague if safe is important.
I'm not sure if you mean Mitchell selected him because its a safe move?

My impression of Sam Mitchell is far from someone who plays it safe. I think he's brought in Harvey because he wants to win and win now, and he sees Harvey as one of the best available to help achieve that.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying?

MrPremiership

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What I see: Robert Harvey is a poor speaker in the media… 1 on 1 who would not listen. … depending on the person.
He says too many “ums” and “arrs” to be a media head coach= zero threat to Sammy as a head coach.
Lucky we're hiring him as an assistant coach, and not as a public speaker

Cyclops

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 25, 2001
Northern Suburbs
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
IOM Gyms, Preston Nth End
May I post in your forum?

My view is Harvey is a good get, a very experienced assistant coach. He seems to have good midfield knowledge, and we've usually had a decent midfield over the last 8 years.

He has moved on much more for political reasons than any other, as he enjoyed the absolute loyalty of Eddie McGuire. Like Bucks his time came because of failings at board rather than football dept. level. It wasn't a mistake for him to move on but the decision wasn't about his coaching ability.

Our current coach has preferred to work with former team-mates and fellas he had a longer association with, which when you are rebuilding a list makes sense.

Harvey isn't the best assistant ever, but he's good and not out of his depth at a top 4 club.

Just a note, Hawthorn have had some excellent assistants and they've tended to be sharked, with Dimma, Bolton and Fagan the most prominent. No one knows how Mitchell will get on with his assistants, but he has Clackson's example to work off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad