Coach Welcome to Hawthorn : Robert Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like the amount of new and experienced voices we have got coming in behind Sam. Good get.

That certainly took me by surprise, I thought he was headed West!

Welcome aboard Harv, the whole coaching group is now looking really exciting. The club is going to be exposed to so many new ideas from all of the new coaches who all come from different clubs and backgrounds. Sam is definitely putting his best foot forward from the start.

Bring on the future!

For those more in the know, what's the read on Harvey. He's been an assistant for over a decade and missed out on a few head coaching roles. Just one of those good quality assistants that are better cut out for that role than the head coaching gig?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

✔️ Comes from a different system to Sam and the other coaches
✔️ Multiple stints as interim head coach
✔️ Experience as development coach
✔️ Winner of AFLCA assistant coach of the year
✔️ Previous role as head of midfield and transition
✔️ Champion midfielder of the game
✔️ 8 years as senior assistant coach

All signs point to a great choice. Welcome aboard Rob 👍

I can't tell you how excited I am about this move. Plenty have worked with Harvey over the years and have raved about his excellence. As Hawks fans, I know we've bemoaned losing plenty of assistants over the years, but the fact we've been able to prove to be a spring board for them towards higher aspirations is exactly why we've been able to attract the likes of Harvey despite heavy competition.

We botched the transition spectacularly, but full credit to the club for assembling the panel of assistant coaches that they have since then.

Gotta say I think we have knocked it out of the park with our assistant coaching appointments so far.

Great blend of experience, age and personalities with different skillsets.

Actually feel quite excited to see how we go next year, I feel it is going to be good fun to watch our team development.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this move. Plenty have worked with Harvey over the years and have raved about his excellence. As Hawks fans, I know we've bemoaned losing plenty of assistants over the years, but the fact we've been able to prove to be a spring board for them towards higher aspirations is exactly why we've been able to attract the likes of Harvey despite heavy competition.

We botched the transition spectacularly, but full credit to the club for assembling the panel of assistant coaches that they have since then.

Ultimately the right call to bring the pain forward to have everything set before draft/trades and pre-season. It would have been a disaster to keep basically the same system for 2022 when coaches and players knew it would go out the window.

As opposed to, for example, hiding behind a review for half a season under the false pretence that you had an all time great coach in the bag just to miss out and have coaches and players in the dark a month after the season is over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back