Coach Welcome to Hawthorn : Robert Harvey

Remove this Banner Ad

Robert Harvey,
I sort of like this appointment.

By all accounts Harvey is liked by the players and the coaches, and will follow Sam’s vision for the team. He will follow a consistent vision …which is key to Hawthorn’s early success. Hence why he is here.

What I see: Robert Harvey is a poor speaker in the media… though 1 on 1 who would not listen.
He says too many “ums” and “arrs” to be a media head coach= zero threat to Sammy as a head coach.
As an assistant coach: this is where I am guessing Robert Harvey shines.
Positions within a midfield, work ethic to get to the next area, defensive efforts
running capacity and when to not run… all said in a kind voice with a Brownlow medal to back it up.
As a fan,I admired Robert Harvey. Hevey’s hip-shake was Jouna Lomu-like the most…but his disposal was just average.
Harvey, seems to fit the “no dick heads” policy.

All in all, and without knowing Harvey’s role, I see this appointment as one that will help Sam Mitchell feel safe. Ask Teague if safe is important.

edit: what I was trying to say, relatively poorly, was that he seems a 1 on 1 coach with little chance of usurping Sammy in the future.

Last edited:
He says too many “ums” and “arrs” to be a media head coach= zero threat to Sammy as a head coach.
Tell me you’ve never listened to Clarko talk without telling me you’ve never listened to Clarko talk.

Robert Harvey,

All in all, and without knowing Harvey’s role, I see this appointment as one that will help Sam Mitchell feel safe.

Ask Teague if safe is important.

I'm not sure if you mean Mitchell selected him because its a safe move?

My impression of Sam Mitchell is far from someone who plays it safe. I think he's brought in Harvey because he wants to win and win now, and he sees Harvey as one of the best available to help achieve that.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you're saying?

What I see: Robert Harvey is a poor speaker in the media… 1 on 1 who would not listen. … depending on the person.
Lucky we're hiring him as an assistant coach, and not as a public speaker

May I post in your forum?

My view is Harvey is a good get, a very experienced assistant coach. He seems to have good midfield knowledge, and we've usually had a decent midfield over the last 8 years.

He has moved on much more for political reasons than any other, as he enjoyed the absolute loyalty of Eddie McGuire. Like Bucks his time came because of failings at board rather than football dept. level. It wasn't a mistake for him to move on but the decision wasn't about his coaching ability.

Our current coach has preferred to work with former team-mates and fellas he had a longer association with, which when you are rebuilding a list makes sense.

Harvey isn't the best assistant ever, but he's good and not out of his depth at a top 4 club.

Just a note, Hawthorn have had some excellent assistants and they've tended to be sharked, with Dimma, Bolton and Fagan the most prominent. No one knows how Mitchell will get on with his assistants, but he has Clackson's example to work off.

Sammy could be looking for a new assistant according to this.

If so I’d have Ratten back as an assistant in a second.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer some fresh blood around the club
I think you’ll find that assistants are already locked in at every club.
That’s why the Ratts sacking was rough, as he’s essentially locked out of any other clubs footy spend….unless…

With Saints paying his wage
Salary dump style.
We give Saints an assistant coach
We receive Saints senior coach 😉

Thoughts ? 😜
Can't access the article.

Who is the Assistant Coach we're supposedly giving up?

While I’m not disagreeing with you, he would be fresh blood to a lot of our list
Yes, four years is a long time when your list is as young as ours. A lot of the premiership contenders have former senior coaches as assistants, does seem to give them an edge. If we lose Harvey, I'd be pretty thrilled if we got Ratten in as a replacement - an excellent coach and human being from all accounts.

Last edited:
Yes, four years is a long time when your list is as young as ours. A lot of the premiership contenders have former senior coaches as assistants, does seem to give them an edge. If we lose Harvey, I'd be pretty thrilled if we got Ratten in as a replacement - an excellent coach and human being from all accounts.
And while we're at it, tell them we want Roughy back as well!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back