Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Could the unthinkable happen and he replace Breust next week? Would not be a good look for Hawks for Gunston and Breust both in VFL.

Could the unthinkable happen and he replace Breust next week? Would not be a good look for Hawks for Gunston and Breust both in VFL.
Remember Hodge, J. Lewis, Roughead and Mitchell were either traded to other teams or playing a bit of VFL at similar ages to these two.

Father Time waits for no one.

It's been a credit to him how hard he has worked over the preseason.

What he has over Gunston is being able to kick from 50m out.

Gunston gives off as he just doesn't have the penetration in the legs anymore.

I think sides know this and plan for it.

Sam Butler is intriguing me.

Had a great preseason. looks fit. highly rated junior.

hasn't come together for him yet.

what does he need to do to make it in the senior side?
Probably just needs an extended run at it. It's tough being the last picked forward in a team that has largely struggled to make the most of inside 50's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably just needs an extended run at it. It's tough being the last picked forward in a team that has largely struggled to make the most of inside 50's.

Chad always comes good after a run of 4 or 5 games in a row. Would be harsh to not afford Sam the same at some point

Sam Butler is intriguing me.

Had a great preseason. looks fit. highly rated junior.

hasn't come together for him yet.

what does he need to do to make it in the senior side?
Its tough for him we didnt get many inside 50 in that second qtr and in the 3rd dimma was on fire so everyone just got out of his way. He has done everything right so far. His best use would be playing Moores role coming further up the field and then using his speed and endurance to work his way back to goal. Hope he gets a chance to showcase what he can do

What Position does Sam play at Box Hill does he play in the forward line like Hawthorn are asking to play.

Or does he play Midfield at BH maybe this is why it isn’t coming all together yet, hopefully it does as he has sometimes we really need in the senior side Pace.

There's not much love when you're the deepest small forward in a side where it's in the oppositions half for about 65% of the game.

Needs an extended run for mine. There were some glimpses. Had a ripper of a tackle that should have been rewarded.

Butler is still being played out of position. He will not make it if we continue. He would be a great defensive wingman because his best attributes are his cruising (not burst) speed, tackling and endurance. Give him a go on right wing for a few games and let’s see what he can do.
McDonald’s high half forward role would suit him. CROC was poor last week. Give Butler more games in this role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back