Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks a good prospect. Like his speed and defensive side. Interesting that MM describes him as a high half forward who can pinch hit in midfield - isn’t that also moore, seamus, brockman?

Looks an exciting prospect. Liked his willingness to tackle and read of the play in his highlights. Only thing I didn't see was him use his opposite foot (had the perfect chance to kick a goal on his left from a crumb in the goal square and inside outed it with his right instead).

Davo-27 Have you noted anything in regards to his opposite peg?

If he is actually 189cm (I've seen conflicting info) then that's a serious physical mix with his pace. Elevates his ceiling that much more. Especially if he's grown 5cm this year.
Standing next to his brother, certainly not 189

Dan is listed at 182 so 184 seems about right.

1637887367276.png

Butler is the one I'm most excited about - that marginally sub 3 second 20M was apparently done on a 'slow track'... the 2.97 he recorded isn't even close to the quickest players each year. But he's so quick between the ears, and seems to know what's happening on field before others have caught up with what just happened (highlights illustrate this a handful of times), he wouldn't even need to be that quick to be a dangerous player in the Breust mold. That he is genuinely faster than his testing suggests given the ridiculous 'slow track' (for a 20M sprint... really?), makes him seriously dangerous.

I didn't really look at him prior to draft night, I had my favorites like everyone else, and they tended to be bigger, stronger players with similar attributes to Butler.

But hot damn, Butler looks the goods if he can build a powerful frame to go with everything else that he already has.

Last edited:
Likened to butters.

Bloody exciting.
Shifter Sheahan likened every kid who can run and isn’t a stay at home forward to Butters. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The heir to Breust’s throne?
I think we will use him more like Rioli. Pressure forward and bursts in the middle. Not saying as good but more that sort of role. Hard to find a new Breust but brockman would be the best comparison on our list give his skills and ability overhead and at ground level.

Do you know who Dan Butler is?

Hint: it’s the guy in the hat.
Hence the joke. (which I was hoping my follow up post kind of indicated.) The post I replied to never mentioned Dan Butler yeah? It only mentioned his brother. I guess the joke relies on the third person. THE ONE I AM COMPARING HIM TO, also being his brother.

Don't think so, I think he'd spend more time up the field. I think Butler could become a Lambert (but more physical) like HFF that rolls through the middle. I suppose Butters is a decent comparison too.

Brockman is the heir to Breust's throne IMO, they play a similar way.
I see Brockman as Willo 2.0.

Hence the joke. (which I was hoping my follow up post kind of indicated.) The post I replied to never mentioned Dan Butler yeah? It only mentioned his brother. I guess the joke relies on the third person. THE ONE I AM COMPARING HIM TO, also being his brother.

Nah it relies on completely ignoring any context provided with the post saying "Dan is 182cm"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back