Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Why such a low hope?

I am hoping he runs like Issac Smith, is as tough as Dermie, can mark the ball like Peter Knights, is as skillful as Darren Jarman, and has the X factor of Cyril and turns out to be the next Lethal Leigh Matthews.

I don't like to put a ceiling on our players.

Yes bro.
Puopolo was a regular in the rotation through the centre bounces.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that he played through there in just about every match.
I don't think he had a major role in the centre square rotations most years. His average clearances are less than those of Breust and much less than those of Rioli. He had cameos and helped out when the main mids needed a rest. Of course he was usually thereabouts when there was a boundary throw in or ball-up near the goals. 2013 may be the exception year - Puopolo's clearances were nearly double his average in that year.

Really?

Old age starting to get me

Grandpa: “Sonny, let me tell you something. There’s only one damn thing in this whole world worse than Alzheimers.”

Grandson: “What’s that?”

Grandpa: “What’s what?”

Grandpa: “Sonny, let me tell you something. There’s only one damn thing in this whole world worse than Alzheimers.”

Grandson: “What’s that?”

Grandpa: “What’s what?”
At least you can hide your own easter eggs.

For a kid coming off hardly any pre-season he showed a couple of signs which left me very excited for this kid. He hit the ball at pace at on stage, shrugged a tackle and finished to a target inside 50. Heaps of pace, looks explosive. Still think he'll be the steal of the draft.

For a kid coming off hardly any pre-season he showed a couple of signs which left me very excited for this kid. He hit the ball at pace at on stage, shrugged a tackle and finished to a target inside 50. Heaps of pace, looks explosive. Still think he'll be the steal of the draft.
Sicily might end up on the payroll for a lot longer then we think

Yep. Agree. He's hardly played a game in 2 covid yrs. But imho he has the tools that may take many by surprise. I'm definitely on board this train.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has held him back this pre-season? Calf injuries?

Think if he gets his body right, there is a small forward role there for the taking
Think it was illness, not covid.

He in my opinion could be what Butters is for Port Adelaide, see so many similarities.

How is this kid tracking? Seems like a perfect time to inject another debutant with the team up and about. Wingard's hammy might open a spot for him...

Track watchers, is he ready to go?

I feel like last year's draft is already a success, this would be the cherry if he can show a bit.

How is this kid tracking? Seems like a perfect time to inject another debutant with the team up and about. Wingard's hammy might open a spot for him...

Track watchers, is he ready to go?

I feel like last year's draft is already a success, this would be the cherry if he can show a bit.
Haven't even played in the Box Hill game.

277457725_5239723856049265_4013142798823058174_n.jpg

Has anyone been watching Box Hill closely?

I am growing very worried about Butler, would be interested to know if there's something going on with him/does anyone know

I am growing very worried about Butler, would be interested to know if there's something going on with him/does anyone know

Was sick, getting back into it

Showing more and more each game

Try not to overeact when players dont come in straight away

Will debut before the seasons out

He did some really nice things yesterday. Super clean. Just wait, could well end up being the pick of our draft crop.... he could be that good.

How could you possibly have a reason to be worried about a first year player who’s only played 4 or 5 Box Hill games?

Are we expecting him to come straight into the 1s and be the next Punky straight away?
No.

I have been watching Box Hill and worried because he is someone who we drafted for his skills, hunt and football IQ. And in the last 2 weeks he did not play on from a single mark, looked very shaken, held up play on fast breaks due to indecisiveness. And especially at Pirahna Park last week he was killing the ball by foot and having a lot of trouble finding it.

So I ask, is anything going on.

No.

I have been watching Box Hill and worried because he is someone who we drafted for his skills, hunt and football IQ. And in the last 2 weeks he did not play on from a single mark, looked very shaken, held up play on fast breaks due to indecisiveness. And especially at Pirahna Park last week he was killing the ball by foot and having a lot of trouble finding it.

So I ask, is anything going on.
Doubling down on this is just weird

He has played 4 VFL games

Relax

Remove this Banner Ad

Back