Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 23, Sam Butler

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep but like everyone it won't just happen so he's got a lot of work to do to get fitter but you do get the feeling that a lot of it is just pumping more games into him similar to all our young guys coming through. You just hope and prey they don't stagnate like Worpel has for whatever reason.
Butler has class. You can learn that. It is innate. If you read Worpel’s draft profile profile has changed - excellent attack on the ball, poor kick.

Live at the ground you see someone in our fwd 50 do something routine and I always think it is Breust or Moore who are high quality AFL fwds and often it is Butler. He's up to the level already. Great size and the hardness is a real bonus. He's going to be good.

Before the year is out I think he has a 3-4 goal game in him .
I love what I see from Ward and CMac but I would have my $$$ on Butler being a locked in jet .
He just has 'it'.

Given where he plays , our forward entries he has improved quickly to the pace of AFL . A bit to go but we have one here

He looks a game or to off really adjusting to the pace of the game but it’s so close. Just moves so well, a full pre season or two and he may be better as a full time mid, he goes bloody hard
Agree that he moves really well. Looks very comfortable in traffic and working in tight confines. Doesn’t panic, can take on a tackle and then release a handball to set up a team mate. Looks quite strong in core already. Can see why he was highly rated and considered a first round prospect. Still early days but I think we have a good one.

He's got 'it'. Just gotta get games into him, because he looks like he's going to be a favourite for years to come.

Very good today. Hard at it. Can definitely see him spending a lot of time in the midfield.
Yeah can definitely see him playing majority midfield in the future. Watched him closely today at the game and he has put on a bit of size already this season. He has that class and hardness about him that I think is wasted as a forward. We need him as a mid, provides something different to our current set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zak Butters definitely the comparison on today's game. Looks the goods

Was really disappointed that he took that snap for goal in the third instead of dishing of to Chad who was in better position but he'll learn. He has a lot of tools and will be an important player for us
This was due to inexperience he panicked didn't see wingard, with more games under his belt this wont happen. I hate how tackles are recorded...1 tackle my arse.

He made a big blue in burning the senior player in a better position but apart from that I was thoroughly impressed. Will learn from it too.
I don't think it was a conscious burn like CMacs was looked to be more of a poor vision situation.

Has the potential to be better than his brother and more dynamic which would be great.
I don't mind him taking the selfish option as it shows confidence- taking the team option will come in time (same with Cmac).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back